Notices

hard lessons.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

One thing that was not mentioned in the article was they were headed pretty much directly into the setting sun.

I've run that same water at LOTO into the setting sun dozens of times and even at 50mph, a big wake that you didn't see coming or you thought was just 2-3' will be a 4-5' and will catch you off guard.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

That is a very, very rough part of the lake as it begins to choke down both geographically and traffic-wise. We were on our balcony at Land's End when they went by. When we heard the sirens several minutes later, we knew immediately what they were for and where they were heading. Very well written article.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough to pass judgement from here not knowing the victims. Just a terrible combination of big performance, alcohol, diminished visibility, and poor or misjudged water conditions. Even the confidence afforded by a big cat like that can be a potential liability. We take a lot for granted with the speeds that are now common place. I was a young man in the 60's boating on Cape Cod and had the fastest boat at Englewood beach, a 15' Chrysler Flamingo with an 80 merc on it that ran 42 mph. My how times have changed!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
One thing that was not mentioned in the article was they were headed pretty much directly into the setting sun.

I've run that same water at LOTO into the setting sun dozens of times and even at 50mph, a big wake that you didn't see coming or you thought was just 2-3' will be a 4-5' and will catch you off guard.
That same thought dawned on me as we were going under the toll bridge Sunday when we were bringing the Velocity back from the Shootout, it's very hard to read the water going that direction at that time of day

Last edited by JaayTeee; 04-10-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

The lake was very rough during the time. I was down on the dock at the lodge cleaning up all the bugs from the trip... numerous big cruisers coming through plowing. Then a few big cats ripping, and sirens. I think the article was very well written with no agenda or bias. You play you pay... big stakes at 100mph +
Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 4,234 Likes on 1,215 Posts

If it`s the same spot in my vid @ :13 (right after a bridge @ :20 ) then yes, sun is low, very hard to read wakes. I got in a bit of trouble over there from 2 wakes coming together and throwing my boat sideways. Scary and very unexpected even thou it may not look like it in the vid the boat was on it`s side. The V cut thru it, if I had a cat the results might have been very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGALIK9yTpY

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 04-10-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it has been proven that nearly everything will catch you off guard under these conditions. Very tragic for all the friends and family.

"The certified toxicology report by the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Laboratory Division - with names redacted - shows both occupants of the catamaran were well over the legal limit for operating the boat with one registering a blood alcohol level of 0.121 and the other 0.156, nearly double the legal limit."

Last edited by Wobble; 04-10-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Wakes are a problem but not illegal, operating a boat cautiously at 100 mph is not illegal. Operating a boat at their alcohol levels is illegal.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Unfortunetly it has been proven that nearly everything will catch you off guard under these conditions. Very tragic for all the friends and family.

"The certified toxicology report by the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Laboratory Division - with names redacted - shows both occupants of the catamaran were well over the legal limit for operating the boat with one registering a blood alcohol level of 0.121 and the other 0.156, nearly double the legal limit."
Any boating accidents are bad enough and I hate to see it plus read about it, Very tragic and really feel bad about it.

It has been said very experienced driver and on very busy lake one would drive to the conditions - sun -, waves, other boaters around, lake activity, mph and so forth.

I totally agree with you. Why do so many boaters think that happy hour is part of boating and Performance Boating. Think about if they hit another boat with a family and kids. IMO if you drink you should not drive a boat period especially with other boats around. The most responsible thing to do is have a designated driver for any events or boating weekends if one or crew in tow wants to drink,

Teague has tried to make a huge push for designated driver boating awareness and I like what he has tried to do but I am sure its a small % follow his push for it.

Last edited by BUP; 04-10-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Wakes are a problem but not illegal, operating a boat cautiously at 100 mph is not illegal. Operating a boat at their alcohol levels is illegal.
Wakes are not illegal? You are responsible for your wake and the damage it causes, and at LOTO its always the same freaking boat causing wake issues. The same knucklehead(with a "professional" captain) came through the shootout throwing a roller in the no wake zone. Obviously a tragic set of events, but Griff summed it up pretty well. Driving into the sunset was the straw that broke the camels back.

RIP friends, you are definitely missed.
Attached Thumbnails hard lessons.-img_0005.jpg   hard lessons.-img_0003.jpg   hard lessons.-img_0009.jpg  

hard lessons.-img_0011.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.