Notices

hard lessons.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And there we go with another excuse. Just because a boat runs north of 150 isn't why people die, And their GPS back up that statement.

If the excuses are bad boat wake, poor visibility from the sun, etc. I call bull****. As very seasoned boaters I doubt, which I did not them so could be wrong, but I doubt they would have handled the conditions the same as when they were high.

The hard lesson learned is keep the captain sober. Period.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You didn't mention it in your opening post.......In the Brad Smith Skater fatality I'm pretty sure they weren't drunk, nor was Mike Fiore in the shootout nor the two guys in the 36 Skater in the Northeast speed run. Experienced guys, no booze and the same result. At what point does everyone raise their hand and say "THESE 2500+ HP BOATS ARE FAST AND DANGEROUS?" I suspect never.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You didn't mention it in your opening post.......In the Brad Smith Skater fatality I'm pretty sure they weren't drunk, nor was Mike Fiore in the shootout nor the two guys in the 36 Skater in the Northeast speed run. Experienced guys, no booze and the same result. At what point does everyone raise their hand and say "THESE 2500+ HP BOATS ARE FAST AND DANGEROUS?" I suspect never.
so are you saying that alcohol does not play a part in this only horsepower does?

I agree with you that most of these boats are to fast and most people that own them are not professional drivers,but thats a different topic,but to suggest that alcohol does not add to this is just stupid.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Please do not misunderstand me. Anytime alcohol is involved in boat operation whether on a pontoon or a 160+ mph boat, it is a non starter.

No question - it is 100% on the driver (and not the vehicle) if he/she drinks to excess and operates any motor vehicle. Doesn't matter what speed the vehicle is capable of. It's just stupid and irresponsible.

My point was more that some of these boats are at the highest level of performance. In order to operate at that level, the driver should have similar skill level. I wonder how many really do? It's been said before, sometimes the checkbook outruns the skill set.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
Please do not misunderstand me. Anytime alcohol is involved in boat operation whether on a pontoon or a 160+ mph boat, it is a non starter.

No question - it is 100% on the driver (and not the vehicle) if he/she drinks to excess and operates any motor vehicle. Doesn't matter what speed the vehicle is capable of. It's just stupid and irresponsible.

My point was more that some of these boats are at the highest level of performance. In order to operate at that level, the driver should have similar skill level. I wonder how many really do? It's been said before, sometimes the checkbook outruns the skill set.
agree 100%
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
And there we go with another excuse. Just because a boat runs north of 150 isn't why people die, And their GPS back up that statement.

If the excuses are bad boat wake, poor visibility from the sun, etc. I call bull****. As very seasoned boaters I doubt, which I did not them so could be wrong, but I doubt they would have handled the conditions the same as when they were high.

I read the same thread as you and I don't get the feeling that people are making excuses or putting forth the notion that it is ok to get liquored up and drive one of these beasts. They are simply saying that a combination of factors came together to contribute to this particular accident - alcohol being one of them. Take away any one of these factors and the deceased likely would have made it back to the dock like they did so many other times in these two people's long boating careers.

I take away more from this thread than just the one hard lesson of don't drink and drive. I already know and follow that rule. I also take away the lesson that I really do need to refrain from hot-dogging it when I am riding into the sun because you may not see that huge cruiser wake that you would normally see any other time of the day. I already knew that but knowing something isn't the same as changing your behavior enough to account for it. You don't have to be drunk to get hurt going too fast over a huge roller.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, All good points.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566279[/ATTACH]

Last edited by Nice Pair; 05-31-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

I certainly wouldn't promote drunk driving but "What would be your standpoint on the 3 other fatal catamaran crashes?" All three cases the individuals had thousands of hours of experience, no booze and still had the same result.

Your argument blames booze in this case (which I don't disagree as a contributing factor), in the 3 cases I mentioned "What becomes the blame then?" 2 of the 3 were on video and the crashes were shockingly similar in appearance. Is there something wrong with admitting the boats have simply gotten too fast? Nascar realized this with their sport and went the route of restrictor plates to slow them down and keep them under control.

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 04-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior

In the 3 cases I mentioned as specifically non-alcohol related I don't think it was a case of a rich guy running a new toy but rather the equipment simply got away from the operator! Ran out of talent at the wrong time.....
Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
so are you saying that alcohol does not play a part in this only horsepower does?

I agree with you that most of these boats are to fast and most people that own them are not professional drivers,but thats a different topic,but to suggest that alcohol does not add to this is just stupid.
No not at all. My point was more towards the 3 non alcohol related crashes. Brad Smith, Mike Fiore and Jim Melley/Garth Tagge all had plenty of experience but were pushing these boats to the limit with fatal results. 2 of the crashes were during somewhat controlled conditions so that "random cruiser wake" excuse isn't in play. No booze, no cruiser wake, not novices operating........what is left as the excuse?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

They were drunk, one almost double drunk. If only the water cops had pulled them over as they left the bar. They would be alive, possibly working off a suspended drivers license and out some cash. I often think this community/lifestyle puts their heads in the sand when alcohol is a component of a incident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.