Notices

hard lessons.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
In this case, the owner even had some racing experience in catamarans. In the Lake Lanier case, both couples were long time high speed boaters. Everyone knew the risk but nobody planned on dying that day either. The Lanier case didn't publish the crash results but said high speed was a factor and oddly no toxicology results were obtained but police reported finding large quantities of alcohol at the crash scene.

I have zero catamaran experience and have never operated a boat at 100+ mph. I can see how these boats get out of control as they are damn near airplanes at certain speeds (packing air) and with over 2500 HP there is plenty of power to get the operator in trouble quickly.

I would think think after multiple fatalities in Somerset, Lanier and LOTO (all with experienced owners) the insurance companies are going to be the ones that put the brakes on owning these types of boats.
I can assure you the people that have these class of boats can afford the insurance on them no matter what it costs. All it will do is keep normal people like me from being able to afford it on my moderately powered boat.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodford
damn near airplanes is right on , how about a flying wing like a Horton but w zero controls and no way to keep it pointed in even one direction /
Not in any way an accurate statement.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

the insurance companies are going to be the ones that put the brakes on owning these types of boats.

You don't NEED insurance to own and operate a boat. Finance it yes.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tragic when these wrecks happen and the occupants are killed. But think about one of them spearing through a crowd of innocent boaters, toons and ski boats full of families, out of control over 100 mph. The general public won't get over that if and when it happens. IMO that's what will finally force things to change. Laws, insurance, license requirements....any or all the above.

If you get pulled over driving your sports car 100 mph on a public road, you're going straight to jail around here. You don't have to be drunk. Then points on your license you have to pay for annually if they don't suspend it.

I didn't know any of the folks who've been lost the last several years but I think of them often and remember the names. Almost creepy, but I felt sick every time it happened and it's stuck with me.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
I don't see this as being much different than taking our sports car out on the highway. Throw all those same or similar conditions and **** happens.
Well for starters, roads are generally pretty flat, sports cars have brakes and in most cases traffic flows together in the same direction........none of those things are considerations for boats.

I would say this is more akin to high performance boating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtzrbe6Ixo
Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So at what point does everybody raise their hand and say they were drunk? I suspect never.

Well for starters, roads are generally pretty flat, sports cars have brakes and in most cases traffic flows together in the same direction........none of those things are considerations for boats.

I would say this is more akin to high performance boating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtzrbe6Ixo
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

IMHO, alcohol effects different people differently and from day to day no matter the % their levels would indicate - does it change the fact that it's legally impaired no... but 1 more leisurely cocktail doesn't feel like it would impair in the company of friends...

Compound that with the size of a 44' boat that will easily run north of 160, 100 mph seems like a conservative cruise... its not like running 100 in a lil' 24 Skater in the chop.

After so many months since the accident(s) from 2016, we can only learn from the loss of some very good people and temper our own actions as we each see fit...Sadly its an Extremely difficult way to see the big picture....
Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I can assure you the people that have these class of boats can afford the insurance on them no matter what it costs. All it will do is keep normal people like me from being able to afford it on my moderately powered boat.
Agree..

A friend in the insurance business equates coverage to gambling in Vegas - the "house" will always encourage you to keep playing/paying provided the odds are highly in their favor against payout... you pay or you pay. High premiums thins the herd numbers as to who will and who can play at a given level.

Quite simple....
Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
So at what point does everybody raise their hand and say they were drunk? I suspect never.
You didn't mention it in your opening post.......In the Brad Smith Skater fatality I'm pretty sure they weren't drunk, nor was Mike Fiore in the shootout nor the two guys in the 36 Skater in the Northeast speed run. Experienced guys, no booze and the same result. At what point does everyone raise their hand and say "THESE 2500+ HP BOATS ARE FAST AND DANGEROUS?" I suspect never.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a racer friend observe that a 38 Skater (Or pick any other brand you want) with 1650's in it, is almost akin to an F1 car. In other words, it is the highest level of performance you can own on the water.

How many of us are qualified to drive an F1 car? How many of us that road race are qualified to drive an F1 car?

I make no suggestions here and I'm all about personal responsibility and individual rights, but I thought that observation was interesting..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.