Best Option For Performance Open Bow >

Best Option For Performance Open Bow

Notices

Best Option For Performance Open Bow

Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Option For Performance Open Bow

Starting to look for a Performance Open bow or Mid Cabin for our trips to Florida every year. I really like to look and performance numbers of the Baja Islander 27 or 29 want to stay in the $30-40K range for a good used piece. We usually have 6-8 people when the family travels so I need the space that the 28 Cigarette doesn't offer. We are usually on Anna Maria or Siesta key for a week at a time. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Slower option but have a friend with one around here that is great for this area.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...0-br-102999450
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
Starting to look for a Performance Open bow or Mid Cabin for our trips to Florida every year. I really like to look and performance numbers of the Baja Islander 27 or 29 want to stay in the $30-40K range for a good used piece. We usually have 6-8 people when the family travels so I need the space that the 28 Cigarette doesn't offer. We are usually on Anna Maria or Siesta key for a week at a time. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.
If you want an MCOB or WTOB, you should take a look at west coast performance boats. The guys out there got their stuff together on MCOB/WTOB boats. East coast builders don't cater much to the open bow crowd. I was looking at Checkmate, but they only offered one boat in MCOB, so I started looking west. I finally was able to narrow my choices to 3 brands, but couldn't find one that I liked (or was in my budget limit). Then, someone suggested buying a closed deck and have it converted to MCOB. Long story, but the Reader's Digest version is, I found and bought a primo condition closed deck west coast boat last year and had it converted to MCOB and couldn't be happier. CD boats usually go cheaper out there, as most everyone wants open bow. I got the boat I wanted at a very good price (which included a top end job), had it converted to MCOB for less money than buying an existing MCOB. May not be the way for you, but at least it's an option to consider.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shunter2005
If you want an MCOB or WTOB, you should take a look at west coast performance boats. The guys out there got their stuff together on MCOB/WTOB boats. East coast builders don't cater much to the open bow crowd. I was looking at Checkmate, but they only offered one boat in MCOB, so I started looking west. I finally was able to narrow my choices to 3 brands, but couldn't find one that I liked (or was in my budget limit). Then, someone suggested buying a closed deck and have it converted to MCOB. Long story, but the Reader's Digest version is, I found and bought a primo condition closed deck west coast boat last year and had it converted to MCOB and couldn't be happier. CD boats usually go cheaper out there, as most everyone wants open bow. I got the boat I wanted at a very good price (which included a top end job), had it converted to MCOB for less money than buying an existing MCOB. May not be the way for you, but at least it's an option to consider.
Just have to make sure it can take the beating of not being on a lake. Some of the west builders keep builds to the waters they boat on and some don't. Some homework would have to be had.

27'-29' isn't too big for these parts as it is.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 04-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

one westcoast builder can handle the ocean. Laver Craft.-- they also make 3 versions of hulls. Closed bow, mid cabin (MCOB) and full open bow. just saying.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
one westcoast builder can handle the ocean. Laver Craft.-- they also make 3 versions of hulls. Closed bow, mid cabin (MCOB) and full open bow. just saying.
That is true. There is a Shockwave 29' Magnitude for sale in Lantana, Florida right now, but it's a closed deck. There are several other builders whose boats can handle the ocean. Howard and Hallett to name two.

Lavey Craft was one of the 3 boats I was interested in. Their 2750 is a fine boat. When I was out there looking, I went to Lavey Craft factory to check it out. Small operation, which I like and they build a very good boat.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I owned a Checkmate 270 mid-cabin bow rider and it was an ok boat, but after riding in Donzi's version of the midcabin, the 28 ZXO, I would have to say the Donzi is a much more solid boat. They can be had in the $40k range.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned Sunsation.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
Surprised no one has mentioned Sunsation.

Not going to find many Sunsation MCOB in that price range
Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll second the west coast boats if you're looking for a MCOB. Advantage, Lavey Craft, Hallett, Shockwave, are all great rough water boats. Don't listen to the "built for the lake" BS. All of those boats listed have been used offshore and I'd put them up against a Baja, Sunsation, Donzi, Fountain any day. Hell, theres a couple guys with 24' walk-thru open bow Lavey Crafts that have done Catalina runs.

Theres a couple of Advantages in your neck of the woods on boattrader, may be worth a look before you venture out west.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.