Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Batteries, what's everyone using? >

Batteries, what's everyone using?

Notices

Batteries, what's everyone using?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duracells from Sam's, have had them in several boats and have done great. They are made by penn manufacturing, the same people that make deka but are considerable less.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastenuff2
my boat is 2008 and just change batterys this spring odyssey pc1200t last 9 years great batterys
Odyssey is the best battery you can buy!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy cheap batteries and then replace more often. Even the best batteries will need replaced more often than a car battery so why bother spending 35% more on batts that will need replaced prematurely either way.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Registered

Something to think about? I quit using the lead acid batteries in my boat, do to 1 exploding! Caused a huge mess to clean up! It was on a very good (top of the line) on-board charger. Probably due to internal short in the battery which caused the explosion? It was a 2 year old named brand battery! Charger checked out fine, but now I only use the AGM (Odyssey) with no issues! I tried Optimas 3 times over the years with little luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered

I'm going to replace all four batteries in my 47 Fountain, and am wondering if someone could chime in on what specs I'd need in a battery for high performance boats. I'm probably going to buy either Deka or Optima Bluetop, but don't really know the differences in terms of what offshore boats require. For example, the Optimas on this page (https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...e-and-starting) are twice the price of the Dekas on this one (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Vol...ttery/50183761), but I don't even know if these are comparable besides the CCA.

I don't mind spending more money on something better, but I don't want to spend another $500 if I don't have to!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I strongly recommend staying away from optima bats, and also strongly suggest AGM and not use lead acid. Have an odyssey in the PWC which is 6 years, 3 Lifeline bats in the Cruiser which also 7 years. Prior, PWC lasted 3 years and Cruiser lasted 3 if lucky but mostly lasted only 2. The bats cost more but last a real long time. Buddy has an AGM in his PWC which is 10 years and still going strong. Would even suggest Sam's Club Durecel AGM's, not as heavy as Lifeline, Trojan and others but well worth it.

Down side of AGM's, if your going to keep them on a charger when not in use, need to get a AGM changer, don't use a Lead acid on, charge rates are different. There is no issue with a trailer boat and running around.

Also loss in charge is much less then lead acid so charging is not as critical in keeping them fully charged
Old 10-29-2017, 09:55 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I strongly recommend staying away from optima bats, and also strongly suggest AGM and not use lead acid. Have an odyssey in the PWC which is 6 years, 3 Lifeline bats in the Cruiser which also 7 years. Prior, PWC lasted 3 years and Cruiser lasted 3 if lucky but mostly lasted only 2. The bats cost more but last a real long time. Buddy has an AGM in his PWC which is 10 years and still going strong. Would even suggest Sam's Club Durecel AGM's, not as heavy as Lifeline, Trojan and others but well worth it.

Down side of AGM's, if your going to keep them on a charger when not in use, need to get a AGM changer, don't use a Lead acid on, charge rates are different. There is no issue with a trailer boat and running around.

Also loss in charge is much less then lead acid so charging is not as critical in keeping them fully charged
Optima's are agm batteries, probably the first ones. I average 8 years service on my optima's. You just need to understand that they are not lead acid batteries and treat them accordingly.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Walmart Everstarts on trickle charger set on timer...... hour in morning.. hour at night. Been getting consistent 4+ years
Old 10-30-2017, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds silly but my last 5 Die Hard/Interstates have lasted at least 10 seasons each, some 12-14 years. I live in the north however where batteries last longer. Get the group 27 or 29s, keep then fully charged when storing and enjoy 10 years not thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Optima's are agm batteries, probably the first ones. I average 8 years service on my optima's. You just need to understand that they are not lead acid batteries and treat them accordingly.
I know their AGM, I also do not suggest using them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.