Notices

Need a good driver

Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need a good driver

My 46 Skater needs a ride down to florida next week. Leaving Grand Raids Michigan on Thursday, and hauling it to Mystic Powerboats in Deland Florida.

It's so close to Memorial Day that I don't think they will issue a permit.

Boat is on a fifth wheel flat tow trailer. It's going to be over width (12' total).

Anybody know somebody with some big balls that can smooth talk a cop if pulled over?

Tom
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming permits can't be had in time, then you want a CDL driver/operator to pull your dimensional boat from MI through the Buckeye to FL. Assuming the driver has their own authorities, they are taking responsibility for your overwide boat, which shouldn't really be too much issue since proper insurance should be in place...but the cost of a claim, and tying up your boat for repair... Then of coarse are the fines...MI, Tenn, GA,FL maybe ok...the driver MIGHT get away with it in those States, but not OH. The fines...not sure what they would be, but it's more than the fines...it's on the record now, and that of coarse has impact on insurance premiums. And of coarse there is always the possibility of the whole unit being impounded for non-compliance. All that is assuming the trailer is in sound traveling condition to make the trip.

How much are you willing to pay for this adventure?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a non commercial rig. And I would prefer a driver that doesn't have a cdl. I would do it myself, but I'll be in Canada.

I've hauled a lot of stuff flat with no permits and had no issue
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
assuming permits can't be had in time, then you want a CDL driver/operator to pull your dimensional boat from MI through the Buckeye to FL. Assuming the driver has their own authorities, they are taking responsibility for your overwide boat, which shouldn't really be too much issue since proper insurance should be in place...but the cost of a claim, and tying up your boat for repair... Then of coarse are the fines...MI, Tenn, GA,FL maybe ok...the driver MIGHT get away with it in those States, but not OH. The fines...not sure what they would be, but it's more than the fines...it's on the record now, and that of coarse has impact on insurance premiums. And of coarse there is always the possibility of the whole unit being impounded for non-compliance. All that is assuming the trailer is in sound traveling condition to make the trip.

How much are you willing to pay for this adventure?
coming from grand rapids he wont be going through Ohio anyway. one of my clients was bringing his 46 skater down to Fl this past fall and Ohio was the only state that was giving him issues. he did however get it handled when i got him the correct insurance paperwork.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Registered

I know someone that will do it give him a call at 727 265 6888.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Tyson has put a LOT of miles on that trailer with no permits. Give him a call.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Registered

Just make sure you don't go through Illinois, the hi op knows that boat well lol