Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My billet battery boxes corroding within months. >

My billet battery boxes corroding within months.

Notices

My billet battery boxes corroding within months.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I have the plastic Gill battery trays that are grey in my Powerquest and have added a couple more that are black plastic yet extremely similar design from West Marine. They are beefy but if you are beating the crap out of your boat and constantly jumping waves at WOT, then I can see where you might want metal. I am somewhere in between cruiser use and hardcore poker runner FWIW. I get air under the boat every weekend but usually short periods of hard running fun then back to leisurely cruise. Not in and out of the throttle for hours on end bouncing from wave crest to crest.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwo...62?recordNum=2
I had this style and broke 2 in a short period of time. I don't drive my boat hard either. One broke on the top piece, the other bottom cracked where the stud is. I replaced them with the power coated alum and haven't had any problems since.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

I had stainless ones made
Old 05-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
But those are still metal. There will always be a trace of acid on top of a lead-acid battery and a small current flow between the terminals and the hold-down top. It doesn't matter how clean you try to keep the batteries.
I had one for sale in the swap shop here that is at least 10 years old. Have a look at the pictures, you cannot tell it from brand new. It's so old I bought it from Fred at Trick Marine.
Attached Thumbnails My billet battery boxes corroding within months.-img_20151027_065430.jpg   My billet battery boxes corroding within months.-img_20151027_065402.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I installed Optima specific battery boxes from Trick Marine back in the day. I was extremely displeased with how the aluminum pitted and pushed the powercoat off. I don't know the right answer, but fortunately they were totally hidden on my boat due to my big stereo install. But if I had to look at them all the time, I'd have found a different option, hell even it it was wood!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sutphil
I had one for sale in the swap shop here that is at least 10 years old. Have a look at the pictures, you cannot tell it from brand new. It's so old I bought it from Fred at Trick Marine.
I call bull**** because you say that you bought it from Trick Marine yet the pictures clearly show that you *received* it as well. Can't be both.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Registered

Are you running AGM batteries or wet cell? You might just needed to change your batteries to AGM sealed.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I call bull**** because you say that you bought it from Trick Marine yet the pictures clearly show that you *received* it as well. Can't be both.
Oh yeah? I've even got the Trick fridge magnet to prove it.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jvcobra
Are you running AGM batteries or wet cell? You might just needed to change your batteries to AGM sealed.
Wet. I've had good luck with them and mine were replaced last year. Sydway said his optima battery boxes corroded too.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Registered

I have Eddie Marine Optima battery boxes. Had them for about 9 years or so at this point and they still look good, no pitting that I have noticed. I've also had good luck with the Optima batteries, some folks don't like them but they have been good to me. The red top is as old as the battery boxes, I did put in a new blue top last year finally.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Alum will Always Corrode , regardless of powder coat or anodize , most dont realize anodize is processed in an Acid Electrolyte ,so corrosion is only alittle water away.
The only batteries i know of that wont off gas during charging ,are Odyssey Batteries .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.