Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice? >

Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?

Notices
View Poll Results: Dual batteries or carry a jumper pack
Dual batteries
82.35%
Jumper pack
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?

Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave

".................
Super sweet ride by the way . . . you gotta be excited to get that thing out on the water
Thats an understatement.

This one is not the biggest, fastest or newest boat I've owned but I think im gonna really enjoy it. Just a boat to go and enjoy without trying to entertain a crowd. Simple and manageable with no stress.

RR
Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A decent jumper battery pack is not light and would need to be secured, I do always carry a set of extra long cables in case I can help out.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

More homework. The Merc bulletin SB mentioned states 150 amp hours or 650 cca. We've now established that the 76 amp AGM battery is 600 cca. I can't remember my physics equations from school so amps, ohms, coulombs, watts and volts are a bit of mystery now. I figure a pair of the 600 cca's will do the job. They'll be fitted tomorrow morning.

Reading the label on the battery, I'd say they come from your West Coast. Tell me they're a pos battery if they are but it's the best I can readily get hold of here!

Thanks for all the helpful input, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jon.
Attached Thumbnails Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?-img_7149.jpg  

Last edited by rak rua; 07-18-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Fôund that bulletin you referred to and if amps are the same as amp hours, even the little 4 cyl 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines require 90 amp hours so there's no way a 496 would turn over! The electronics guy I'm dealing with supplied new batteries for my last boat and he checked his records, they were 76 amp AGM batteries. That was for Verados and I was told they needed pretty substantial power to start them. Never had a problem.

There must be a different measuring scale. This guy supplies batteries to most of the boats in the marina and he couldn't be that far off. Back in Australia we used CCA as the measure.

Google, hello! Are you there?
Damn, you made me Google and I cam across this: Battery University: Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced
Damn it.