Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   36 Skater accident at Havasu (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/347804-36-skater-accident-havasu.html)

JRider 06-20-2017 01:25 PM

36 Skater accident at Havasu

2 Attachment(s)
36 Skater Callente (sp?) was floating sponson tips up.\

Lake Havasu City Fire Department responding to Black Meadow Landing for a boating accident with a report of three subjects that are injured, picked up by other boaters.

Battalion Chief requesting San Bernardino County Fireboat as well as Buckskin Fire respond to the call as well.

1 Patient is being transported to Contact Point.

Battalion Chief advised by dispatch one subject has a shoulder injury.

Battalion Chief on scene at Contact Point, one of the Engines on scene is advising all three patients have arrived at Contact Point from Steamboat.

Engine is now advising they only have one of three patients, others are en route to Black Meadow.

Battalion Chief advising he has contact with San Bernardino Police and Fire on the radio,

Engine advising the third patient coming in will be the worst of all three, and will need a Trauma Alert Activation at the hospital.

Dispatch advising 1 patient possibly going to Havasu Marina. Battalion Chief is hearing conflicting information and asking an officer to go to Havasu Marina to await and update if there is an arrival.

Fireboat is advising Battalion Chief that all three patients have arrived at Contact Point.

Fire Department personnel advising all three patients will be transported with Trauma Alert Activation.

Mohave County Sheriffs confirming all three patients are at contact point.

Battalion Chief requesting two additional ambulances to respond to contact point.

Fire Crew Advising, ?Boaters made hard turn to avoid a jetski when they were ejected from the boat. They did not make contact with the jetski. Copper Canyon may have a second incident going on.?

Battalion Chief advising they will take one additional ambulance, RMI can cancel the 2nd additional (total two ambulances on this call).

One patient has been transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center by Ambulance CODE 3 (lights/sirens).

River Medical is cancelling the 2nd and 3rd ambulance.

Boating Accident-Posted on June 20th, 2017 at 10:05 AM

WARPARTY36 06-20-2017 02:06 PM

Hope all is well and a speedy recovery.

TBAG 06-20-2017 02:18 PM

Another one? Wow.

I also saw where another Skater flipped or rolled during a "race" in the BVI last week.

Cash Bar 06-20-2017 02:19 PM

Hoping all is just precautionary and they are okay.

racinfast002 06-20-2017 02:49 PM

Effing jetskis.......I'm not one to point fingers, but how much you want to guess which one turned in front of who.

On Time 06-20-2017 03:00 PM

Lake lice SUCK I mean S U C K

Dodging lake lice in my home lake now requires me to have spotters. Those things should be regulated. They are marketed and sold to as many beer guzzling testosterone spewing nut cases they can and only think about their RIGHTS to drive anyway anywhere and in front of anyone....Rights that us go fast boat owners are now forced to pay attention too.

I feel very sorry for the Skater group.

Nate5.0 06-20-2017 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TBAG (Post 4563214)
Another one? Wow.

I also saw where another Skater flipped or rolled during a "race" in the BVI last week.

That was some pretty rough stuff and he came around a cross wind corner around an island. Crap situation but one that any cat has to be careful of in those area's.

Hope all is well in this situation and no lives lost or injured bad.

F-2 Speedy 06-20-2017 03:17 PM

How bout we wait for the facts ??

precisiondetails 06-20-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 4563233)
That was some pretty rough stuff and he came around a cross wind corner around an island. Crap situation but one that any cat has to be careful of in those area's.

Hope all is well in this situation and no lives lost or injured bad.

which boat was that that flipped in the race?

northernoffshore 06-20-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TBAG (Post 4563214)
Another one? Wow.

UPDATE: 'Chris' & 'Sammy' injured but stable following boat race accident | Virgin Islands News Online

Jason Johnson 06-20-2017 03:47 PM

Thoughts on prayers going out to Larry Guillen, who was involved in an accident on Lake Havasu earlier today while testing his Skater 368 cat Cállate for some upcoming top-speed shootouts.

https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...on-lake-havasu

Nate5.0 06-20-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4563238)
which boat was that that flipped in the race?

It was a green, purple, and yellow Skater called "Big Pimpin". All ok but the boat took a nasty shot.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.c...-race-accident

Zone 5 06-20-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by racinfast002 (Post 4563225)
Effing jetskis.......I'm not one to point fingers, but how much you want to guess which one turned in front of who.

Originally Posted by On Time (Post 4563230)
Lake lice SUCK I mean S U C K

Dodging lake lice in my home lake now requires me to have spotters. Those things should be regulated. They are marketed and sold to as many beer guzzling testosterone spewing nut cases they can and only think about their RIGHTS to drive anyway anywhere and in front of anyone....Rights that us go fast boat owners are now forced to pay attention too.

I feel very sorry for the Skater group.

No one knows whos fault it was yet. probably better to wait for official reports. The preliminary reports( http://www.havasunews.com/news/three...56291f565.html ) say that Skater did a hard left turn to avoid Jet Ski, which says the jet ski had the right of way. For On Time, PWC's have the same rights as every other boat out there. Just like they have to follow the same rules.

skater40 06-20-2017 07:34 PM

A jet ski coming out of a cove and entering the main body of the lake does not have the right of way.The jet ski has a obligation to safely merge into the main flow of traffic which according to eye witnesses it did not.

risco 06-20-2017 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zone 5 (Post 4563257)
No one knows whos fault it was yet. probably better to wait for official reports. The preliminary reports( Three injured in powerboat accident | Local News Stories | havasunews.com ) say that Skater did a hard left turn to avoid Jet Ski, which says the jet ski had the right of way. For On Time, PWC's have the same rights as every other boat out there. Just like they have to follow the same rules.

I'm not familiar with Missouri is it not law to give way to bigger vessels?

thisistank 06-20-2017 07:53 PM

Hope Larry and crew have speedy recovery.

Just spoke to Bobbit. Larry out of surgery, in recovery. Hoping all involved have speedy recoveries with no long term injuries.

PARASAIL941 06-20-2017 08:56 PM

It's not an excuse , but I dont think most pleasure boaters / jet skiers realize a boat 1/4 mile away can be on you in less than ten seconds.

Zone 5 06-20-2017 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by risco (Post 4563291)

No. Bigger means nothing. Its all about the direction of travel and the ability of the boats to maneuver. If you were in a river with a dregged channel, the cargo ship that can't leave the channel has the right of way. This does not carry down to the fact that we all know that a PWC can turn quicker than a 36' Skater. They would both be classed together, along with any other recreational powerboat.

Zone 5 06-20-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by skater40 (Post 4563290)
A jet ski coming out of a cove and entering the main body of the lake does not have the right of way.The jet ski has a obligation to safely merge into the main flow of traffic which according to eye witnesses it did not.

Doubtful. There is no such thing as "main flow of traffic" unless a lake/river is marked that way. There are no lines on water Would it be common sense? Absolutely! The number one rule is that you do everything and anything to avoid a collision. IOW, you throw the rest of the rules out if you have to.

Marginmn 06-20-2017 11:07 PM

Go to the front of your boat and draw an imaginary line that extends forward as far as the eye can see. Any boat on the right side of that imaginary line has the right of way over your vessel. Everything on the left should give way to your vessel unless they are towing or under sail.

Hoping for a quick recovery.

Sydwayz 06-21-2017 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 4563352)
Go to the front of your boat and draw an imaginary line that extends forward as far as the eye can see. Any boat on the right side of that imaginary line has the right of way over your vessel. Everything on the left should give way to your vessel unless they are towing or under sail.

These rules all have exceptions. Channels, dredging, commercial fishing, etc. EVERY boater has the responsibility to boat accordingly to avoid a collision.
*note see USNavy in the news

it's actually simpler than stated above.

if you see the green light on a boat's Starboard side, you have the green light to stand on.

If you see the red light on a boat's Port side, you are the give way vessel and must "stop" or rather yield.

***Same rules apply during daylight hours. Just remember your Port/SB and which color light is on each side.
Green: Go.
Red: Stop

Nate5.0 06-21-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4563369)

If you see the red kight on a boats Port,
you arr the give way vessel and must "stop" or rather yield.

***Same rules apply during daylight hours. Just remember your Port/SB and which color light is on each side.
Green: go.
​​​​​​​Red: Stop

This is exactly how I was told to boat and how we do it in this area.

JRider 06-21-2017 06:29 AM

Wow, FB is an outlet for idiots, cannot believe some of the ignorant comments on there.

Marginmn 06-21-2017 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4563369)
These rules all have exceptions. Channels, dredging, commercial fishing, etc. EVERY boater has the responsibility to boat accordingly to avoid a collision.
*note see USNavy in the news

it's actually simpler than stated above.

if you see the green light on a boats Starboard side, you have the green light to stand on.

If you see the red kight on a boats Port,

you arr the give way vessel and must "stop" or rather yield.

Green: go.
Red: Stop

Jet Skies don't have lights - and it's kinda hard to pick out what color a bow light is during the day at speed. Much simpler to to say that everything on my right has the right of way.

DRAG 06-21-2017 09:03 AM

Glad everyone is ok and good heads up on the captain's part making the turn and not running over someone.

I may be alone on this given the nature of this forum as the performance forum....but I think that the captain of the high speed boat is accountable and should take extra precautions above the written rules and laws to ensure the safety of everyone else out there enjoying themselves on the lake. I just picture my kids out there having a normal day on a ski and some guys fires up one of his brain cells and decides he's gonna go run across a lake in the middle of the day at 180 and endanger everyone's lives out there....for the sake of a test for a sanctioned event. It doesn't matter what direction the opposing boat is coming from, a boat at those speeds does not have the ability to make a safe and legal maneuver to adhere to the right of way rules regardless of where the opposing craft is coming from. Most people out there don't even know that boats can go that fast, let alone what is looks like when one approaches them at that speed.

I think lakes that have frequent high speed runs like this should setup a lake association that holds designated test times. First light to 10am before the crowds get out there. Block off a section of the lake just like the events and have it known that this is idle zone on this day at this time. If this isn't done, you are going to start seeing speed limits on lakes with all these accidents....guaranteed.

I agree the jet skis are a tough deal. A lot of them are rentals. The problem is nearly as bad with boaters. Go sit on a boat ramp for an afternoon and watch how f'n stupid 80% of the people are. Its full of entertainment. As a high speed boater you have to recognize that we share the water with these people....and hell half of them are drunk.

On Time 06-21-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zone 5 (Post 4563257)
No one knows whos fault it was yet. probably better to wait for official reports. The preliminary reports( Three injured in powerboat accident on Lake Havasu | Local News Stories | havasunews.com ) say that Skater did a hard left turn to avoid Jet Ski, which says the jet ski had the right of way. For On Time, PWC's have the same rights as every other boat out there. Just like they have to follow the same rules.

I know about the "rights" of jet skis, we discuss them all the time. Around here it's like a game of chicken to see who will yield first, and I am not talking about right of way in the maritime sense when the vessel on the right is the stand on vessel. I always obey and use this rule without a second thought. However most jet skiers are young and don't care about boating rules, etiquette or even good boating sense. They just want to go fast and jump wakes so I get used to these collision course antics all the time as they hope to get my wake just behind the boat. In this case was it a "collision course" to try to get the wake just behind the Skater that he miscalculated causing the Skater to wreck? It should be illegal for jet skis to chase boat wakes in this fashion which at the very least puts the go fast owner (with a larger more expensive boat and usually a lot more to lose) on high alert to avoid these thrill seeking scumbags trying to jump wakes at our expense.

JRider 06-21-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DRAG (Post 4563434)
Glad everyone is ok and good heads up on the captain's part making the turn and not running over someone.

I may be alone on this given the nature of this forum as the performance forum....but I think that the captain of the high speed boat is accountable and should take extra precautions above the written rules and laws to ensure the safety of everyone else out there enjoying themselves on the lake. I just picture my kids out there having a normal day on a ski and some guys fires up one of his brain cells and decides he's gonna go run across a lake in the middle of the day at 180 and endanger everyone's lives out there....for the sake of a test for a sanctioned event. It doesn't matter what direction the opposing boat is coming from, a boat at those speeds does not have the ability to make a safe and legal maneuver to adhere to the right of way rules regardless of where the opposing craft is coming from. Most people out there don't even know that boats can go that fast, let alone what is looks like when one approaches them at that speed.

I think lakes that have frequent high speed runs like this should setup a lake association that holds designated test times. First light to 10am before the crowds get out there. Block off a section of the lake just like the events and have it known that this is idle zone on this day at this time. If this isn't done, you are going to start seeing speed limits on lakes with all these accidents....guaranteed.

I agree the jet skis are a tough deal. A lot of them are rentals. The problem is nearly as bad with boaters. Go sit on a boat ramp for an afternoon and watch how f'n stupid 80% of the people are. Its full of entertainment. As a high speed boater you have to recognize that we share the water with these people....and hell half of them are drunk.

So you insult him with lack of brain cells comment and estimate his speed at 180? You sound like one of the idiots on FB. Pretty sure this guy isnt your average weekend warrior.

Nobody died, a couple very recoverable injuries, pretty minor in the big picture. We will see what the investigation brings, but does not look like any major charges could come of it anyway.

DRAG 06-21-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 4563454)
So you insult him with lack of brain cells comment and estimate his speed at 180? You sound like one of the idiots on FB. Pretty sure this guy isnt your average weekend warrior.

Nobody died, a couple very recoverable injuries, pretty minor in the big picture. We will see what the investigation brings, but does not look like any major charges could come of it anyway.

I knew it would be a popular post. I wasn't calling him stupid, I was questioning the logic in general of deciding to make high speed runs in a non-sanctioned area with innocent bystanders around. That boat is in no position to make a legal maneuver.

I wonder if when they are picking up bodies out of the water from all these crashes we are seeing all the time if the rescue workers find their "I'm not a weekend warrior" membership card in their wallet and everyone involved is like....oh ****....its ok guys...no need to be concerned. This guy is special....no weekend warrior here. It was definitely no fault of his! LOL!!

glassdave 06-21-2017 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 4563381)
Wow, FB is an outlet for idiots, cannot believe some of the ignorant comments on there.

amen to that . . . . pretty much why i never post there its like dealing with high school kids lol

Skater30 06-21-2017 11:50 AM

I'm glad that everyone is going to be ok, and the driver made the right call to do whatever was necessary to save the life (lives) of the jetskier(s) - even at the risk of endangering himself and his passengers. We could all be reading a very different storyline had he not done what he did. I wish guys would quit discussing these accidents as if they know the facts of what happened. Though both sides of the arguments that have arisen have valid points, without being there, how does anyone know who was right and who was wrong? All we do know is that a large boat at a high rate of speed avoided an accident with a jet ski, with no fatalities and just a few minor injuries. Let's all just be thankful for that!

Zone 5 06-21-2017 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by On Time (Post 4563435)
I know about the "rights" of jet skis, we discuss them all the time. Around here it's like a game of chicken to see who will yield first, and I am not talking about right of way in the maritime sense when the vessel on the right is the stand on vessel. I always obey and use this rule without a second thought. However most jet skiers are young and don't care about boating rules, etiquette or even good boating sense. They just want to go fast and jump wakes so I get used to these collision course antics all the time as they hope to get my wake just behind the boat. In this case was it a "collision course" to try to get the wake just behind the Skater that he miscalculated causing the Skater to wreck? It should be illegal for jet skis to chase boat wakes in this fashion which at the very least puts the go fast owner (with a larger more expensive boat and usually a lot more to lose) on high alert to avoid these thrill seeking scumbags trying to jump wakes at our expense.

You are reading a heck of a lot into what the PWC rider was doing based on no facts that I have seen yet. Most states now have rules about how close behind an other boat a PWC can be to jump its wake.

I don't understand your "chicken" comment. It sounds as if you are talking about bigger boats and PWC's. If so, all of them need to be off the water. Being stupid in a boat or a PWC gets people hurt or worse.

Double Rigged 06-21-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Skater30 (Post 4563472)
I'm glad that everyone is going to be ok, and the driver made the right call to do whatever was necessary to save the life (lives) of the jetskier(s) - even at the risk of endangering himself and his passengers. We could all be reading a very different storyline had he not done what he did. I wish guys would quit discussing these accidents as if they know the facts of what happened. Though both sides of the arguments that have arisen have valid points, without being there, how does anyone know who was right and who was wrong? All we do know is that a large boat at a high rate of speed avoided an accident with a jet ski, with no fatalities and just a few minor injuries. Let's all just be thankful for that!

Amen Dale!

bulletbob 06-21-2017 12:51 PM

The idiots that I deal with EVERY WEEKEND are not the performance boaters. Their numbers are to small. It is the pontooners now with their 50+ mph toons. They usually have a couple of friends running circles around them on jetskis as they motor along with no thought for anyone else on the water. I wouldn't endanger myself or roll my cat to avoid a jetskier. Just as I wouldn't wreck my car to avoid a hitting an squirrel.

JRider 06-21-2017 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DRAG (Post 4563457)
I knew it would be a popular post. I wasn't calling him stupid, I was questioning the logic in general of deciding to make high speed runs in a non-sanctioned area with innocent bystanders around. That boat is in no position to make a legal maneuver.

I wonder if when they are picking up bodies out of the water from all these crashes we are seeing all the time if the rescue workers find their "I'm not a weekend warrior" membership card in their wallet and everyone involved is like....oh ****....its ok guys...no need to be concerned. This guy is special....no weekend warrior here. It was definitely no fault of his! LOL!!

Non-sanctioned area? A sanctioned area would be called a race course, so a non-sanctioned area is pretty much everything else. Are you inventing a "sanctioned" test area like your dumbass invention of the Non Weekend Warrior card? There is no speed limit on a lot of the river BTW. There is this little thing they call Desert Storm out there...look it up.

Skater30 06-21-2017 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 4563497)
Non-sanctioned area? A sanctioned area would be called a race course, so a non-sanctioned area is pretty much everything else. Are you inventing a "sanctioned" test area like your dumbass invention of the Non Weekend Warrior card? There is no speed limit on a lot of the river BTW. There is this little thing they call Desert Storm out there...look it up.

You are correct, there is no speed limit on a lot of the public waterways that we all boat on. However, a LEO can cite you for "speed for conditions"...............ask me how I know. :picard1:

boatfreak 06-21-2017 01:16 PM

Now where is that dam like button?

Nate5.0 06-21-2017 01:18 PM

Did I also read correct today that there was a Vee bottom roll on Havasu less than 2 weeks ago where a girl died?

GRH 06-21-2017 02:21 PM

Right on the money... GREAT POST!

thisistank 06-21-2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 4563504)
Did I also read correct today that there was a Vee bottom roll on Havasu less than 2 weeks ago where a girl died?

two people died. 36 Nordic alcohol involved.

northernoffshore 06-21-2017 04:13 PM

Victim of fatal Lake Havasu boating accident identified as California man; search for missing woman ongoing | Local News Stories | havasunews.com