Notices

Oh Chit....

Old 10-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Chit....

Oh chit.......you damn right oh ****......haven't used the boat in awhile........for good reason........trying to get the money together to buy a new Formula.....not the boat the car.......love it want it that's the way it is.........

Well this week i'll make enough dough to be able to do it......but who knows right......wrong.......I go out to start the boat up.....might be trading it in to get the car.......starts right up and purrs like a kitten.....15 minutes later the damn thing starts making noise.......BAD noise......can U say spun bearing.ARGHHHHHHHH sunofabiotch.......

Anybody else have some insight as to the sound a spun bearing makes????........260 merc....
Old 10-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

hmm I have a 350 mag 270hp in the back thats been sitting for a year now. from intake to oil pan... $1000 bud
Old 10-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Boats have feelings too---It found out what you were about to do. Trade a boat for a car-- that is sacrilidge
Old 10-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Okay....now I feel like a tool......well maybe...

My buddy just came over and we looked it and listened to it.....Opened the hatch and the noise is from the deep back......well DUH........Gimbal bearing......go figure...I had no idea these bastards made that kinda noise.....kinda like a ocilating grind....

The perfect oil pressure made me second think myself.....and the fact that it stills runs smooth......

What's you guys experience with these going bad.......not to mention this looks to be rather easy to change out......
Old 10-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Gimbal bearing easy to change out? Not on your life!! You can yank the motor and take the drive off, all of it!!! Or you can try the drill the holes method. It's not easy at all, trust me.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Registered

WELL it isn't easy but nothing like rebuilding a motor. Pull the drive. pull the belt off the seawater pump and start the motor for a few seconds only and see if the noise went away. First thing is to put the belt back on before you forget. Then make a slide hammer out of a piece of black pipe ( put pipe through bearing and screw cap on from the inside. then put a weight on the other end and screw on a cap) slide the weight against the end cap to pull out the bearing. The hard part is starting the new bearing. The clearances are tight.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

ohh that sounds of a growling gimble bearing.. replaced my last fall when it was growling like a rabid bear
Old 10-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Registered

FOUL -- the gimbal bearing is the one that the drive shaft goes through not the one that the tiller shaft goes through. It is the big one where the transom is.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Registered

Yup gotta get a slide hammer and a special adapter for it and pull it out.......of course I will start her up to make sure this is it.....My friend said it took him about two hours to change his.....hardest part was pressing it back in.....remember Alpha drive here...

The noise is very metallic sounding but definitly deep in the back and LOUD....I have two access to the engine.....one is in front of the motor and the other being the sundeck.......opened that and it was almost scary........funny how this all of a sudden started......the thing was running for about 15 minutes and then it ticked a bit and then the grinding.......Not a pretty sight what I did then......Oh well........Thanx