Like Tree0Likes

Powder Coating

Reply
Old 10-14-2002, 02:08 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: USR, NJ
My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine
Posts: 4,000
Default Powder Coating

Im thinking of pulling the swim platform and handrails off the AT before I shrink rap the boat and getting them powder coated. They were already done before but the rails are chipped here and there and the swim platform is starting to peel. Im not sure weather its the heat or what but where the exhaust blows across is all starting to come up. I have a customer that does powdercoating but am quite sure he doesnt do marine stuff (yet).
Is there anything I should know or different proceedures.
What should this run $$$$?
Swim platform is about 7' wide and hand rails are about 9' long.
Tantrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM
  #2
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,920
Default

Go to an experienced place. I made that mistake, and although it did not cost me anything but time, (they kept destroying my parts, and buying new ones). I now have my powdercoated fuel and water fills installed, and they are CHIPPING!! UGH!!!

Start with the small pieces first; to test his/their abilities. I do not think there are any differences between marine or other applications, but I could be wrong. If you are going to have the old stuff blasted off, be careful, as this can tear up your parts.

I am not sure on pricing on those items, but make sure you talk to someone that has his work already, and see how it holds up.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:18 PM
  #3
Registered
 
thunderdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: medford, nj usa
My Boats: 37 Active Thunder
Posts: 2,185
Default

I would see if you can get in touch with Mike and Nick P. They actually own a powdercoating business. I know Mike goes under Slingshot on OSO. I have thier number at work and I can get it to you tomorrow if you want.
thunderdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:48 PM
  #4
The Illustrious One
Charter Member
 
sean stinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Internationally Famous
My Boats: Back on the dock!!!!!!!
Posts: 3,272
Default Re: Powder Coating

Quote:
Originally posted by Tantrum
Im thinking of pulling the swim platform and handrails off the AT before I shrink rap the boat and getting them powder coated. They were already done before but the rails are chipped here and there and the swim platform is starting to peel. Im not sure weather its the heat or what but where the exhaust blows across is all starting to come up. I have a customer that does powdercoating but am quite sure he doesnt do marine stuff (yet).
Is there anything I should know or different proceedures.
What should this run $$$$?
Swim platform is about 7' wide and hand rails are about 9' long.
Tantrum call me @ 856 498-9606 I have the killer place for you to go and they stand behind their work.......but it's inside info so you have to call bro.....

Sean
__________________
Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!
sean stinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:41 PM
  #5
CRUBOSS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

used parts are hard to coat if the salt has started to eat at them. try this oso member he does coatings www.thundercoatings.com i have looked at his stuff and it is good. all custom . no mass production crap.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:45 PM
  #6
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
My Boats: yeah....that one
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by CRUBOSS
used parts are hard to coat if the salt has started to eat at them. try this oso member he does coatings www.thundercoatings.com i have looked at his stuff and it is good. all custom . no mass production crap.

actually it's not
SLINGSHOT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:33 PM
  #7
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Reindl Powerboats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cincinnati
My Boats: Reindl 28 Vamp, Reindl One Design
Posts: 2,499
Default

We need a windshield powder coated, anyone who does it, please give me a call.
513.706-3199
Chris
Reindl Powerboats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:47 PM
  #8
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member
 
R Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pa.
My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
Posts: 20,687
Default

Sean , I have the same, exact stuff as Tantrum, off of my Tantrum that I would like done. Ok to call?
R Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:37 AM
  #9
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
My Boats: yeah....that one
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by R Addiction
Sean , I have the same, exact stuff as Tantrum, off of my Tantrum that I would like done. Ok to call?
CALL HIM OR MYSELF
6096850129
SLINGSHOT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:38 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Niskayuna, NY
My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292
Posts: 5,543
Default

Another option to look at is BruceK from the board. This guy is BEYOND meticulous and is as nice and honest as the day is long.

Shane
Shane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Panther
General Boating Discussion
26
12-18-2008 10:12 AM
TOASTY
General Boating Discussion
3
07-29-2008 06:53 AM
26sonic
General Q & A
8
04-03-2006 02:56 PM
GregP
General Boating Discussion
6
01-07-2005 10:08 PM
mcraymond3
General Boating Discussion
3
12-08-2004 07:56 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.