Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bilge blowers - Do you run them all the time? >

Bilge blowers - Do you run them all the time?

Notices

Bilge blowers - Do you run them all the time?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I turn them on anytime when not on plane and engines are running. I crack the hatches when off plane, 600 SCI get cranky when hatch is left closed too long at idle.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari

been meaning to remind you to post pictures of the new boat, especially those engine room hatch vents (inside and out)
bet your chomping at the bit to get that thing in the water
It's 6.30 am here and I would normally be sound asleep but the boat was cleared through customs last night (after a small payment of 'tea money' was agreed upon) and is due at the marina around 8.00 am so I'm wide awake!

Good to read all the replies, a few good arguements on both sides. Think I'll alternate each day out, run with blowers on one day then blowers off the next......

RR
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always been taught to turn those fans OFF when fueling so they won't spark the fumes. What say you?
Old 07-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was always told to run them to evacuate the fumes before the saturation level could get high enough to ignite.
think about it. If there's fumes high enough to combust sitting over night for some reason. And you turn your blowers on to get the fumes out before starting. Why would it be a problem running them while refueling?

Last edited by class6; 07-15-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I can almost answer my own question......
On the dash of my 'new to me' boat, right near the blower switch, it says "Never run bilge blowers while on the plane" (or something like that) I'll check the exact wording tomorrow. It's factory Donzi printing so I'm happy to run with it.

RR
Old 07-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus there is a lot of draw on the system. My volt meter drops about .75 volts when turned on.
Best of luck with your new boat!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
I was always told to run them to evacuate the fumes before the saturation level could get high enough to ignite.
think about it. If there's fumes high enough to combust sitting over night for some reason. And you turn your blowers on to get the fumes out before starting. Why would it be a problem running them while refueling?
The Coast Guard suggest running the bilge blowers after filling up due to the chance of a blower actually pulling fumes into the bilge as gas fumes are vented out of the gas tank vent. As the tank is filled with fluid (gas), the air has to escape out of the vent. If the bilge blower is blowing air, it is also sucking air from somewhere, and if that somewhere is close to the gas tank vent, it could spell trouble.

Depending on all kinds of factors, gasoline needs to be somewhere in the 1.5% to 8% of volume by air to ignite. Under this it is too lean, over this it is too rich. A spark will not ignite if outside of those limits. Sucking in gas vapor through the bilge blower can get to that lower flammability index making for a bad situation. Once you are done filling up, the incoming gas is no longer pushing out a high amount of fumes under pressure, so the bilge blowers are good to go.

An example of being too rich would be if a boat fills up with gas, and for some reason or another several gallons of gas ends up in the bilge. The boater turns on the bilge blower, unties the boat and is on their way. The boat gets out a ways and "boom". What happened is that all of the gas in the bilge put the air over the upper flammability index, until the bilge blower (or the passive vents) replaced that rich air with clean air down to the point that the air/fuel mixture was in that window between the lower and upper flammability index. Any spark at that point could cause problems (another reason to only use sealed marine parts instead of car parts).

Anyway, thats my take on it..............
Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep in mind also that while the engine or engines are running they are essentially air pumps and are continuously pulling large volumes of air out of the engine compartment and exhausting them out the tail pipes. With out taking fuel that is atomized in the mixture into account and a volumetric efficiency loss in moving the air a 540 naturally aspirated CI engine at 2000 rpm should move approx. 312.5 CFM thus: 540 CI x 2000RMP/1728(cubic inches in a sq. ft.) / 2(intake charge per RPM)= 312.5 CFM A boosted application would result in > CFM numbers. Overall this does not take into consideration the boats ventilation set up IE: what is potentially moved in and vented out of the compartment via the engine compartment ventilation design. A twin engine boat would end up approx. doubling the volume. To answer the blower question: run them after fueling and before any start up IE: shut down period and always do a visual and sniff test first.

Last edited by I'CE; 07-16-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
I have always been taught to turn those fans OFF when fueling so they won't spark the fumes. What say you?
im no electrical engineer, but I thought that a circuit only sparks when connecting or disconnecting? And it's at the switch.

Could be wrong who knows.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I always opened the hatch and looked/sniffed around before I started the engines EVERY TIME (while running the blowers). Never on plane, there's so much air being exchanged while on plane I don't see how it could be a problem unless your tank is leaking...then you're in trouble regardless of the blowers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.