Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone Like Twin Turbos Instead of Superchargers? >

Anyone Like Twin Turbos Instead of Superchargers?

Notices

Anyone Like Twin Turbos Instead of Superchargers?

Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Like Twin Turbos Instead of Superchargers?

I have twin roots blowers now but I have been reading about many huge power applications and they use twin turbos.I am thinking to do a rebuild soon and was thinking about the twin turbo setup.But I do not know who makes one good for marine use and also what you professionals have to say.Turbos, supercharged...nuclear pistons etc..??
Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't chose the turbo life, the turbo life choose me. I have factory Mercruiser twin turbo 454's in my Scarab. They were originally rated at 475 hp. They used a RayJay draw thru single carb system. Gale Banks was the big name for turbos back in the late 70's early 80's I have talked to him on Facebook and he loves seeing the pictures of my setup (brings back old memories for him) Twin turbos are a very custom set up on what ever engine you use, but you will be surprised how nice they are. Very quiet because the turbos muffle the roar, but the turbine whine is like a jet taking off. I don't think anybody makes a bolt on system. If you talk to knowledgeable turbos shops like Sterling or Boostpower, Im sure they can steer you in the right direction. Look up Carson Brummett over at Performanceboats.com for more turbo information. I talked to him on the phone and he was the nicest guy and told me everything I needed to know and how to set up my engines using the existing carbs.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A problem with turbos on boats, is they don't start to make boost until the revs are up. But you got to get the boat to come up on plane when the revs are down. And boats are by design a 1 speed transmission. And propped to get the maximum out of it at essentially Full Throttle full speed. Those roots style blower give you boost right from the minute you hit the gas. So they help to get the boat up and onto plane.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Default Turbos

Originally Posted by phughes69
i didn't chose the turbo life, the turbo life choose me. I have factory mercruiser twin turbo 454's in my scarab. They were originally rated at 475 hp. They used a rayjay draw thru single carb system. Gale banks was the big name for turbos back in the late 70's early 80's i have talked to him on facebook and he loves seeing the pictures of my setup (brings back old memories for him) twin turbos are a very custom set up on what ever engine you use, but you will be surprised how nice they are. Very quiet because the turbos muffle the roar, but the turbine whine is like a jet taking off. I don't think anybody makes a bolt on system. If you talk to knowledgeable turbos shops like sterling or boostpower, im sure they can steer you in the right direction. Look up carson brummett over at performanceboats.com for more turbo information. I talked to him on the phone and he was the nicest guy and told me everything i needed to know and how to set up my engines using the existing carbs.
i used basically a banks setup back in the 80's with some mods, we ran 1003 hp in a 372 ci big block, 12 lbs boost at 5000rpm
Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

maybe reach out to Herb Stotler @ Stotler Race Engines he has done Turbos for Envy and ALEX & ANI
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
A problem with turbos on boats, is they don't start to make boost until the revs are up.
IMO That statement is not true. If a turbo is setup properly it will build boost in the lower rpm also. Look at all the Mercury turbo motors available today. Those engines are in boats that go 150+mph and have no issues.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by butch ryan
i used basically a banks setup back in the 80's with some mods, we ran 1003 hp in a 372 ci big block, 12 lbs boost at 5000rpm
1000 HP with 12 lbs out of 372 cid Sounds like a typical twin turbo setup!!!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Registered

It does not seem like it should be a problem for a boat with turbos, like someone said they dont build power fast.If you are at a stop and you raise the rpms to 4000 for example the motors should being spinning and moving air and this should move the horsepower fast maybe not as fast as a roots blower but enough to get it on plane and then it will be making big power.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say I know of anybody who goes WOT out of the hole to come up on plane? By the time you're up and moving fast enough to not blow out the props, the turbos would easily be spooled from the load.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Take a ride in a QC4V powered boat, and you'll be sold. My 13,000lb 42 Hypersonic with 1100's pulls incredibly hard from 0-115. Cruising at 80 and nailing it will put you back in the seat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.