Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: We need some help in the DC area... SNIPER (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34877-ot-we-need-some-help-dc-area-sniper.html)

TomZ 10-14-2002 10:57 PM

OT: We need some help in the DC area... SNIPER

The bastard(s) got another one tonight... a woman who was loading purchases from Home Depot in the back of her car with her husband.

We sure could use some prayers, thoughts, or whatever to get us through. This is no way to live. I had to hide in the cockpit yesterday while gassing up the boat before I went out. It is really that serious here.

To my fellow DC brethren... watch your backs as well as those of your loved ones.

Ted G 10-14-2002 11:14 PM

This is totally F%$^ing insane!!! This guy is doing anything he damn well pleases and it seems like we have every cop on the East Coast working and they can't get him. I swear, they need to blow his ass away when they get him. I refuse to feed and shelter this prick for the next 50 years:mad: What the hell am I supposed to tell my kids???? They have to stay locked in the school all day and then stay in the house when they get home so this lunatic can't shoot them just for fun:confused: And I am tired of looking over my shoulder every time I get out of my car:mad: :mad: :mad:

TomZ 10-14-2002 11:22 PM

Thank God I don't have kids yet... I'd be going out of my mind about now.

I wish there was something we could do.

I frequent that Home Depot all the time btw... it's only a couple of miles away from my house. The Mrs. and I are working on remodeling our kitchen... we had actually planned on running up their tonight. If we had followed our usual Home Depot schedule, we would have been there during the whole thing. My wife wanted to workout after work though, so work on the kitchen got pushed off for the evening... THANK YOU GOD!!!

My mom actually called to see if we were OK. I didn't even know what had happened. She told me and I swear... every hair on my body stood straight up! I have never had a feeling like that hit me before.

buck183 10-14-2002 11:37 PM

Whoa!!!!!! Too close.

Buck

puder 10-14-2002 11:54 PM

i give it 2 more shootings before the vigilante groups start forming.

I say hang this ****er.

Sydwayz 10-15-2002 12:02 AM

I have been there a hundred times too. The last one was in my neck of the woods. All over the news today, they were saying this has been his longest 'down-time.' Well... fricking wonderful. I am willing to place bets that Loudon County, VA is next.

NASTY HABIT 10-15-2002 05:17 AM

at a complete loss for worrds for you families that live in that area I hope this ends soon

Tejas Raz 10-15-2002 05:23 AM

TomZ,
Feel for ya man. I grew up living at the North end of Military Road just above Chain Bridge. Wish there were more folks who were carrying good steel up there like we have down here in Texas where I live now. It's going to take some active participation from the public to catch this guy. At least some good eyes working in recording mode to give the LEO's some good intel to help them.

Think of it this way... It's YOUR neighborhood and it's time to take back the streets. Get pissed. Some a**hole is ruining your lives. Talk to your friends around the block and at work or at church. Get pro-active. Start neighborhood patrols. Work with the local police. There's plenty of laws, we don't need more, just need to apply what we've got... to the MAXIMUM EXTENT. Get rid of judges or other elected officials who don't want to work with you.

This is war. The guy may not be Al Quada, but this is terrorism at the max. And folks are going to have to wake up and realize that we're going to have to deal with it no matter how it comes to us.

In the mean time, my prayers will be with you all back up there where I used to call home. Hang tough. Perservere!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Yorktown HS, 1974 - Arlington, Va.

Citizen's Police Academy, Citizen's On Patrol - Arlington, Tx.

Payton 10-15-2002 06:51 AM

This simply makes me too mad for words.
Too Old is right, pray for the victims family's. But I also pray this guys gets cought in a shoot out.

I thought the round he was useing was a .223, not a .50. Maybe I heard wrong. I thought I heard the little boy was shot with a .223.

Shah Mat 10-15-2002 07:16 AM

It has been a .223 all along from what I heard.
This does suck, I live near two of the shootings (Fredricksburg), sometimes commute by one of them (Manassas) and now as of today, I work near one (Falls Church).
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Laveyman 10-15-2002 07:23 AM

Isn't there already a $500,000 bounty on this jackass?

HAPPY HUNTING!

CigDaze 10-15-2002 07:55 AM

I too can't believe this is happening...It's one of the most senseless, most cruel acts that someone can do. This piece of **** needs to be taken down and tortured! It must be unreal living with this kind of fear and I feel for all those victims and those who have to do their business fearing every stop they make!

KAAMA 10-15-2002 08:07 AM

I don't think it's a .50cal he's using. Depending on how far this coward's shots are, if it's windy out, he may not be so apt to killing someone---especially if he's into the "one shot-one kill" routine. The .223 Rem (5.56mm) 55 grain bullet is basically a super high velocity .22 caliber cartridge, but is still highly sensetive to windy conditions.

One thing we DONT need is all the politicians jumping on some band wagon wanting to take our guns away over all this. They just need to take this dude out ASAP!

Wally 10-15-2002 08:13 AM

If this bastard wasnt such a d#@$ Head for doing this i'd say send him over and let him get BinLaden if he's this good!!

On the other hand what has happend thus far, he should be skinned alive and rolled around in salt! :mad:

And while we are on this.....can someone please explain why we keep prisoners with life terms alive? Whats the point? So they can spend the rest of their lives basicly running some prison? ****, if the state they are in doesnt have the death penelty then ship them out to TX or some other state and use some of the thousands of dollars spent on keeping this scum alive to help TX pay for the electric bill! What a waste of space, time, and money for the rest of the state/nation! arrgghhh....i'm done venting.. :(

ChrisK 10-15-2002 09:03 AM

I am not a very political person, and I dont even own a gun. But this is making me think its time to purchase one. One thing I DO believe in is the death penalty. Why do they use hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep these people in prison for life or even MULTIPLE life sentences and not fry them in "ole' sparky"? If we as a country had more balls to actually back up what we say in our own country with the death penalty and just tougher all around penalties then I do believe that crime would drop in this country quickly. Look at other countries in this world that are as advanced will little or no crime at all. Japan is on of those countries, England is another... I am not saying that there is NO crime there, but no where near as much as here! Public execution would be a good thing as well, I say we start with this azzhole shooting people.

K... guess thats it...hmmm I feel better :)

Ted G 10-15-2002 05:05 PM

His shots have been between 100 and 200 yards-easy with a .223 and a scope. What I don't understand is that someone supposedly saw him last night get out oof the van, shoot, and then get back in. WHY THE F@CK DIDN"T THEY FOLLOW HIM????? I don't expect anyone to take him on, but following from a few hundred feet back would not be that difficult-and I know every idiot on the road has a cell phone-the police would have been there in minutes.

As for Japan and the U.K.-their crime rates have gone up as they have tried to ban more and more guns. Repeat after me-GUNS SAVE LIVES!!!

Waterfoul 10-15-2002 06:11 PM

Let the DC and Goergetown gangs at him. Won't make it to breakfast (it's 7:10 p.m. now). This faulker deserves the worst punnishment we can give him. Gas chamber? Nope. Lethal injection, too easy. Electric chair? Only on low voltage for a VERY LONG TIME. I say bring back public hangings or stonings and lets all have a whack at him!!! Faulker!!!!!!

HyperBaja 10-15-2002 06:14 PM

Originally posted by 105mph_38_2003
There was an article in the paper today saying that they think it might possibly be an ex-serviceman that feels he was done wrong by his country. Who else would have the ability to pull off this kind of $hit??
I would bet he is an ex-serviceman, now does some type of maintence for something, hence the white van.

velocitoy 10-15-2002 06:15 PM

TROUTLY...You have hit the nail on the head! The news has confirmed your estimated distances...(you may be giving the shooter more credit than he deserves though, yours are a little looong)...This guy is DEFINITELY gonna get caught & I think he will die by SUICIDE...SUICIDE BY COP!!! GOOD RIDDANCE!!! He has been watching the news too. There was a guy on one of the news station that was talking about how the sniper has been proving the theories about where & when he will strike again by changing his "pattern"... BTW...I think it's TWO guys working together....

HyperBaja 10-15-2002 06:17 PM

Originally posted by insptech
WHY THE F@CK DIDN"T THEY FOLLOW HIM?????

Repeat after me-GUNS SAVE LIVES!!! [/B]
I would have gone after him, or if i ever saw something like that, i hope i go after the bad guy.

guns save lives, amazing how that works, how many % of guns in houses will be used against their owner?

Ted G 10-15-2002 06:48 PM

Originally posted by HyperBaja

I would have gone after him, or if i ever saw something like that, i hope i go after the bad guy.

guns save lives, amazing how that works, how many % of guns in houses will be used against their owner?

If not for a sense of helping the community, I would think they would have at least followed him trying to get the 500 grand reward!

Actually the amount of guns used against their owners is relatively small when compared with the number of times a gun is used to stop a crime. In fact when they are used against the owner it is rare enough to be newsworthy, when someone uses one to stop a robbery or assault it is rarely reported unless the gun is actually fired-in most cases it is not.

Here is a good link if you are interested:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

HyperBaja 10-15-2002 06:52 PM

500k reward? I might not be posting much, an un announced trip to DC was decided on today....

Did anyone see spiderman? when he dosent stop the crime and his uncle is killed? Now how would that feel? hope it dosent happen to the person who saw him, i hope he is caught.

kitten 10-15-2002 10:54 PM

God speed, get him now!
How does he sleep at night?
I'm praying...........

Bulldog 10-15-2002 11:11 PM

I would like to see him sent to Angola penitentary in Louisiana. I would gladly pay to house him for the next 50 years to keep from implementing the death penalty.

Are we not taught to love our enemies????????

In Angola, the homeys treat fellow prisoners with love, not hate. Very large doses of love. Frequently, too.

Bulldog

ChrisK 10-16-2002 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They have a new sketch of the van out now... here it is...

ChrisK 10-16-2002 12:18 AM

OK you all can put the guns away now it was just a joke... :)

wwwTOPDJcom 10-16-2002 12:26 AM

can we drop him in 300 yards in front of the start of a very large poker run " start your engines its time for frog in a blender"

Ted G 10-16-2002 07:56 AM

Chris-LOL:D

Sydwayz 10-16-2002 12:14 PM

There is a lot of crap going on about this right now. They are still not even sure on what kind of van to look for. Last week it was a box van, Volvo or Mitsubishi cabover style. Earlier this week, it was a Ford Econoline E-250. Now they are back to the Chevy Astro Van. What if this guy is WAITING for a vehicle to drive by LIKE this, and then taking his shot? They are already saying they think this person is of darker/olive skin complection, which makes people think this the work of a Middle-East Terrorist; or several of them. It does not take much to buy a couple of vans, and keep them in a storage facility. They have had several people IN CUSTODY, or at least had their guns IN CUSTODY when a killing has occurred, so they are watching some people, but this is still so ridiculous. The cops are shutting down traffic for hours on end when a killing occurs, and literally going thru each vehicle, guns drawn, (scaring ths crap out of a lot of people), but I have news for them: the killer(s) is/are LONG gone by the time they get the roadblocks up! They are in bed, asleep, saying "eh, I catch up on this in the morning, I know what happened."

They now have a military plane flying overhead literally 'listening' for .223 round shots. I know this because the news said this. You can bet the killer knows this too. Why not change his weapon? The plane's technology is pretty intense, as I know about it from previous military intel experience. It listens for the .223 round shot, or anything similar for that matter, and then homes in on it with Infrared, looking for a 'hot' just fired rifle. Now the killer knows he needs to bring a lead or steel encased box with him for the rifle. WTF? The media is sabotaging this whole thing. They are broadcasting all of this.

If there is one thing I cannot stand about this area, it is the media. They make EVERYTHING 150% worse; from snow, to rain, to killings; to whatever. I am not overly concerned about getting shot. There are 5-6 million people in this area, depending on how far out you count, (some people commute 2-3 hours one way a day, as far away as Eastern Shore, MD, Baltimore, Pennsylvania, Richmond, and the Blue Ridge Mountains). There are plenty of targets besides me. I just do not see an end to this anytime soon. This is crazy. I think something major needs to change with the media and investigation.

Does anyone remember Altan Coleman, the guy who was going around NW Indiana shooting people about 15-20 years ago? It was going on for about 4 weeks, AND THEY KNEW WHO HE WAS after a week or so. I do not remember how many people he shot, but it was around 18. They finally got this guy; he was sitting on a Park Bench, in the open, by himself, across the street from the Michigan City Federal Penitentiary. A guy saw him and went into a phone booth and called the Police: "Altan Coleman is 250 feet away from me; come and get him." I will never forget that as long as I live, nor will I forget what is going on now. I just think this killer or killers is/are way ahead of the authorities right now, and will be for a while.

puder 10-16-2002 12:44 PM

105mph_38_2003????

what the hell do you use .50 caliber for???

what kind of sport is that? Please tell me you aren't hunting with it. Because that wouldn't be very sporting.

That being said if you like to target shoot at VERY long distance that is the only choice but for anything under 300 yards WHY???

I was considering getting a remington 700 series in 7mm Mag for a while but i just don't shoot at very long distance often enough to justify it. I but more effort into skeet/trap 5 stand and sporting clays these day. Rifles are challenging but on LI there just aren;t enough places to shoot.

puder 10-16-2002 12:46 PM

ALSO let me reiterate my previous point

when they catch this ****er (sniper) they should hang him.

Steve 1 10-16-2002 01:23 PM

I agree Puder the Trial itself should last no more than ONE WEEK (make it easer on the Victims families) then right after Sunday prayer a very Public Hanging!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Allan4 10-16-2002 07:48 PM

Spdwayz, can't agree more about the media, well said. But teh blame also lies on the "attention hungry" law enforcement who call press conferences every 45 seconds to discuss nothing but trivial bs that should be left soley to the investigators and investigation. Since when are press conferences called to discuss with the public thelatest minimal discovery and that the strategy will now be "this". It is about getting your face on TV for some of these jokers. Pure and simple politics are what these headline craving bastards are about, Period. It drives me NUTS!!!!!!! Why do we continually tell our enemies what our plans are. Why am I told over the radio the most recent location of FBI task forces and the US Marshall's sniper locale. THIS INFORMATION IS NOT NEEDED BY MYSLEF OR ANYONE MOT DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN CATCHING THIS (THESE) ANIMAL(S)!!!! Does our right to know supercede our right to exist?? It is truly sad when the advancement of careers, whether it be media, law enforcement or politician, derails the efforts to save lives. Keep inmind, by the way, we are talking about 9 victims. As aweful as it is, 9 people are killed in car wrecks in most major cities each day. Does CNN cover this, no. Why? becasue if it bleeds it reads. Most of these clowns are about headlines. It is an outrage, and it is gettng worse. The only nation that will ever defeat the USA is the USA....... :( For the record, those responsible for these shootings must burn in hell..........shooting innocent people and freakin' KIDS......chicken **** coward........:mad:

Coddigtion 10-16-2002 09:40 PM

50 BMG = Praire Dog bliss at 1 mile :D :D :D

Seriously though, I have shot dog's with a 50 before, I have a M87 single shot. Anyone with hardware like this knows how to use it.

I could do much more damage at 500 yards with a 308 than what this guy is doing right now..... It is not the gun that kills the person, but the person that pulls the trigger.

-Linn

Ted G 10-16-2002 10:30 PM

Now they're saying this guy is using an AK-74????? I've never heard of one of those. The pic they showed looks like an Ak 47 but it is supposedly a .223. They might have gotten it wrong from the same witnesses that can't seem to tell a Ford from a Chevy and can't seem to follow this prick.

Tejas Raz 10-17-2002 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This weapon, developed for motorized infantry, became operational in 1974. Unlike the AKM, the AK-74 assault rifle has the following features. The foresight bracket has two protruding cylindrical sleeves. The front one is threaded for the attachment of the recoil compensator, while the rear one has a lug with hole for the cleaning rod. The elongated recoil compensator comprises two chambers. The first chamber is a cylinder with a hole for bullet passage, three top holes for escape of the powder gases and two slits on the left and rught of the diaphragm. The second chamber has wide openings on the right and left and a diaphragm at the front with holes for bullet exit. The diaphragm edges are beveled to ensure the directed gas escape. Ther rear end of gas tube handguard assembly mounts an oval spring washer to eliminate any rocking of the tube. The bolt carrier has a lightening groove on the left side and rectangular protrusion at the rear end bottom to exclude interaction of the bolt with cartriges in the magazine during the recoil of the moving parts. The bolt is of lesser dimensions and does not have a circular resess on the bolt head cup, while the extractor is a grove. The butt plate is made of rubber with transverse grooves to impropve the steady hold of the weapon against the shoulder.

Characteristics Caliber, mm 5.45
Cartridge 5.45x39
Sighting radius, mm 379
Length, with bayonet fixed, mm 940
Barrel Length, mm 415
Magazine capacity, rds 30
Sighting range, m 1000
Weight w/empty magazine, g 3300
Weight w/loaded magazine, g 3600
Muzzle velocity, m/s 900
| |

IDRPSTF 10-17-2002 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Positive ID of the Sniper, Go Get em Boys

Tejas Raz 10-17-2002 06:41 PM

FoxNews AP Article

Snipers Cringe at Washington Killer's Spree

Tuesday, October 15, 2002

They look through a cylinder of glass and metal at a distant target, knowing they are about to snuff out a life. They don't brag about their kills over beer, nor do they overly brood about them. They take life only to save other lives.

To them, the word "sniper" is a badge of honor and a hallmark of skill. And to them, whoever has been terrorizing the Washington area for the last two weeks is not worthy of the name.

"I definitely know they're not snipers, because snipers don't take innocent life," said Neil Morris, who spent nearly two decades as a Marine sniper and has trained countless military and police sharpshooters from around the world. "It's the most sane, hardworking, dedicated group of people you'd ever meet in your life. And without us, there'd be a whole lot more harm in this world than there already is."

Police are looking for any leads that might point to the person or people responsible for a string of 10 shootings, eight of them fatal, in Maryland, Washington and northern Virginia since Oct. 2. Authorities were investigating whether the fatal shooting of a woman in Fairfax, Va., on Monday night was related to the sniping spree.

The FBI has reportedly asked the Defense Department to search their records from the sniper school at Fort Bragg, N.C., for rejected applicants or former students with psychological problems.

Eric Haney, who trained as a sniper at Fort Bragg and was a founding member of the Army's ultrasecret Delta Force, believes the shootings are the work of a pair of young men, working in tandem as military snipers are trained to do -- one as the lookout, the other the shooter. But he thinks the closest they got to a real elite sharpshooter was at a Special Operations convention.

"They're utter losers, and they know they're losers," said Haney, who wrote a book, "Inside Delta Force."

Over the weekend, Haney visited nine of the 10 shooting scenes. He imagines a shooter and a spotter/driver, perhaps swapping roles after each shot. In his mind, the driver surveys the scene, tells the shooter when it is safe to fire, then pulls away calmly, unburdened by the rush of adrenaline the shooter must be experiencing.

They're clever, he said, but not pros. The longest shot to date was 100 yards, and most of the victims were standing still or walking in a straight line toward or away from the shooter.

"It's the kind of thing that if you've never shot a rifle before in your life, you and I could spend 90 minutes together and you can do this," said Haney, a 20-year combat veteran.

Morris said the fact that the killer left behind a shell casing and a fortune-telling card is a clear sign that this is no professional.

"Anything the sniper does or fails to do that give his position away to the threat, snipers don't do that," said Morris, former head of the Marine Corps sniper school at Quantico, Va. "They don't leave brass laying around, and they damn sure don't leave tarot cards."

Chuck Mawhinney agrees.

During nearly two years as a Marine sniper in Vietnam, Mawhinney had 103 confirmed kills and another 216 probables. No other Marine sniper in Vietnam had more confirmed kills of Viet Cong and North Vietnamese army regulars.

The Washington killer has been using a .223 caliber projectile, which some have called a standard sniper bullet. But Mawhinney, who lives in Baker City, Ore., said a professional sniper would use a heavier load, at least a .30 caliber.

There are certain guns and scopes that manufacturers will sell only to credentialed military or law enforcement shooters, Morris said.

Haney can't imagine what the Washington killer must be feeling, because he can't imagine doing what the killer is doing. In his book, Haney described feeling "soiled and guilty" after making a 350-yard head shot during a 1983 mission to support Marines in Beirut.

"For these bastards ... it is a game," he said. "There's something so rotten in their psyche and the foundation in their humanity which is so lacking that it's a fun game."

Steve 1 10-17-2002 06:41 PM

They are also down in Cuba Questioning al-Qaeda Wonder what gives??

velocitoy 10-17-2002 09:39 PM

ALL you guys make sense regarding the media, the sensationalism of the media, too much info that shouldn't be public knowledge, keystone like police, leaks, etc...Now I don't want to step out of line...but I do like to know whats going on but I have a tendency to watch those live reporters talking at you through the TV & holding my breath & waiting for the guys head to sprout a bullet hole right there on national TV...While the anchor guy standing right next to him saying..."THIS JUST IN...Another fatal shooting etc...." I hope this guy is caught SOON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>