Notices

New Drives

Old 08-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Marginmn
No question Peter, find a reputable drive guy and send it (or both) in for diagnosis and an estimate. Barring some unforeseen issue the rebuild should be by far the more economical and sensible way to go. It will require however that you suppress your legendary perfectionism-gene because you will have "rebuilt" parts on your machine (oh the horror!).
New will polish up better!
Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One drive pushes up on the gears and one down. kinda like one is in reverse. That is the one that needs attention probably. never going to get rid of drive service unless merc makes something really great.

" Alex. let's take new drives for 30 grand

...( the daily double) !!

and the answer is

"No way"

nobody is going to pay you 30 grand more for your boat when they could spend the 30 grand themself when they get it. Right?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBAG
Boy that's a heck of a way to gain some respect of someone local that might possess the skill to correctly perform the rebuild!
i know Pete and am from the same area. I don't believe there is anyone up here in the north country that could do an XR drive. I know they are far from complicated as compared to others, but up here where we are from it's like the frontier, and very sparsely populated so by volume of people and performance boats there isn't anyone reputable. I had mine rebuilt last year, so far so good and it was done by a very reputable shop, but I also traveled 3 hours south.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Registered

Well I would like to thank all for the constructive comments here. I did put this to bed a few hours ago, BAM Marine has the best price on a pair of XR's in the country. Thank You Heather!

And I do believe this boat deserves nothing but the best. It is after all the BLACK BIOTCH.

P.S. Pair of fine used XR's for sale. Owner can demo on boat for a few more days.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
One drive pushes up on the gears and one down. kinda like one is in reverse. That is the one that needs attention probably. never going to get rid of drive service unless merc makes something really great.

" Alex. let's take new drives for 30 grand

...( the daily double) !!

and the answer is

"No way"

nobody is going to pay you 30 grand more for your boat when they could spend the 30 grand themself when they get it. Right?
Odd thing here is that it is the one that spins standard that has the flu.

Never said 30K more, but any Bravo boat IS worth something more with new drives right from Merc Racing. It's worth more to me than a rebuild that he who took my money will not stand behind. Just sayin'.

But like I said, problem solved.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you spend 30 k on new bravos?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

RaggedEdge, how many hours do you have on the old drives? Just asking because I may be in the same position as you in the near future. I too am leaning toward new drives and selling the old to offset the cost.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 780 HP, we have had great success with our Bravos using the Max Machine shafts. How many hours did you get on drives?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebuilding Bravo's is cake work. The issue is we (as marine mechanics & boat owners ) all know how the boats are run, myself included. I don't just lazily cruise around, I'm pushing my heavy ass boat as hard as I can 50% of the time. When I break a drive it's usually because I've over taxed one or both gear sets leaving the water and returning, deliberately or not or struck a hidden underwater obstruction (refrigerator perhaps). I'll offer a warranty on cruisers not go-fasts for that very reason. If you want a warranty that'll be backed up longer than 90 days then buy new.

Last edited by Trippin; 08-04-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trippin
Rebuilding Bravo's is cake work. If you want a warranty that'll be backed up longer than 90 days then buy new.

I was interested in a warranty of sorts. OEM has it's benefits. If rebuilding Bravos, I've done this, was a cake walk then every marine service shop would do it and offer warranty on their work.

You rebuild a pair of Bravos, lets say an average of 5500.00 each versa you buy new and buy smart. Then you sell off the good one, my case, and the parts of the not so good one, my case, and where exactly do you find yourself? Not so far off from the rebuild deal. So why am I such a fockin' fool to spend a few extra dollars for a better product, a warranty, and maybe some added value on a 35 Fountain that has been said to be one of the cleanest, straightest ones in the country! Opinion of others, not related to me.

Not to factor in the I keep this Biotch and fun the chit out of it for years to come!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.