Notices

Funny Boating Stories

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We boated on one of the fingerlakes many, many years ago, my brother and his wife came for a visit and we all went out to the shallow cove everyone used so you could stand in waste deep water just behind the anchored boats. We also took our new ski as well, a supposedly two person one, the old kind where as soon as the second person gets on you better go or you roll over, which is what my bro did the first time he and his wife tried to ride it. Flooded the engine, had to pull the plugs right there and blow the water out hitting the starter motor. no water got in the fuel or oil tank thank goodness! After that I did get it running and they did eventually get to ride it around.
At the end of the day, I decided to ride the ski back to the house and let him drive the boat. It was smooth water so I was doing about 35 (as fast as that ski would go), and he attempted to keep up with me, trouble was he left the trim tabs fully down and caused the boat to go from 2 MPG to about .25 MPG and burned the more than 1/3 tank of gas that was in the boat. (Had he put the tabs up, he could have made three trips to the cove and back, it was only about 10 miles on that amount of fuel). I had to turn around and then tow the boat back to the dock, the last 3 miles or so. But we did have a good time and stories to tell for years.

Kinda reminds me of the new Subaru commercial, with the kid that everything he touches breaks, falls apart, or explodes.....:-)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Not funny when it happened, but very funny soon afterward.

When a teenager, we stopped at a public dock and got some food. A few friends where roudy and I guess they got noticed as I went to start my boat and it wouldn't. I lifted the cover and noticed my coil wire was missing. WTF ? A few minutes later two marine patrol walked down with my coil wire in their hand.

After talking with them and them yelling at me for having schitass passengers, they walked back up to the Dairy Bar.....with my coil wire. :banghead

Well, I needed to get back home so I could go to work, I was out of time to wait for them to come back, so I borrowed theirs and got home.

I always wondered if they where smart enough to use mine (since they had it and it would fit) so that they could get home too.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Well this one time, not sure if I was drunk, on drugs, had a momentary lapse of reason or what, but I went and bought a boat. True story, life hasn't been the same since.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Registered

In 1986 or 87 were at the Al Copland races in New Orleans on a Gibson house boat. A friend of mine with a 18' Taylor jet boat hooked his anchor on the railing on the house boat an tied it close to the house boat. A storm moved in an they cut the races short. He needed to get to the marina quick in the little boat. He grabs the anchor jumps on the deck of his boat an that caused the boat to move out from under him an he falls in the lake with his anchor in hand. He's struggling to swim up with the anchor. We're screaming at him under water to let the anchor go. He comes up with it an I'm laughing my ass off. I tell him you do know you anchors still tied to your boat.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
We boated on one of the fingerlakes many, many years ago, my brother and his wife came for a visit and we all went out to the shallow cove everyone used so you could stand in waste deep water just behind the anchored boats. We also took our new ski as well, a supposedly two person one, the old kind where as soon as the second person gets on you better go or you roll over, which is what my bro did the first time he and his wife tried to ride it. Flooded the engine, had to pull the plugs right there and blow the water out hitting the starter motor. no water got in the fuel or oil tank thank goodness! After that I did get it running and they did eventually get to ride it around.
At the end of the day, I decided to ride the ski back to the house and let him drive the boat. It was smooth water so I was doing about 35 (as fast as that ski would go), and he attempted to keep up with me, trouble was he left the trim tabs fully down and caused the boat to go from 2 MPG to about .25 MPG and burned the more than 1/3 tank of gas that was in the boat. (Had he put the tabs up, he could have made three trips to the cove and back, it was only about 10 miles on that amount of fuel). I had to turn around and then tow the boat back to the dock, the last 3 miles or so. But we did have a good time and stories to tell for years.

Kinda reminds me of the new Subaru commercial, with the kid that everything he touches breaks, falls apart, or explodes.....:-)
Wow 😀, you don't trust his skills to drive a ski back so throw him the boat keys? Woops
Old 08-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Registered

Years ago, changing the oil in my Baja 236 while it is on the trailer....

I had one of those hoses that you screw into the oil drain plug hole and that allows you to pull the hose out of the boats stern drain hole to drain the oil. Anyway, I warm it up then jump out, open the oil drain hose and let the warm oil drain out. I jump back in and swap out the oil filter.

Then I blissfully add the required amount of expensive, super premium oil.

Then I jump out, put the oil drain hose plug back in, drive to the parts store for more expensive, super premium oil and again add the required amount.

On a positive note, nobody was around to see!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pushed the throttle's open on my 525's to clean and check for wide open , cleaned the filter's put it all back together and got side tracked with something...............came back latter hit the key and got to do some personnel cleanup.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I was trying to anchor in the Detroit river just north of the Ambassador Bridge for the fireworks last year. The new boat didn't have a chain on the anchor rode. Could not get the anchor to set even though I had almost 100' of line out (was in about 40' of water). Pulled the anchor up until I could feel it was no on the bottom by the way the rode was angled back against the hull and had the GF steer the boat forward while I was on the bow ready to drop it again. Dropped the anchor while she kept the boat pointed up river in gear. Eventually after trying this about 5 or 6 times. the port engine would stall when she put it in gear and the electric windlass could not pull the anchor up anymore. Ive lost an anchor on the Detroit river bottom years and years ago, because of all the crap at the bottom and thought the anchor was caught on something. I wanted to figure out why the one engine kept stalling so I raised the outdrive and found out the anchor rode was "flying" under the boat while pointed up river and got caught around the prop. Luckily my buddy was there next to us and I tied off to his boat while I laid on the swim platform cutting the anchor line from the prop. My GF doesnt have the confidence to even try to figure out how to maneuver the boat or what each lever is for. If it wasn't for him I would have been down in lake Erie by the time I got it cut off. Lesson learned: 1:Have as much chain on your anchor line as you can. 2: set you boat up so you can do everything yourself 3: carry a big sharp knife.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Registered

Few years ago when Lake Travis was way low, all of the boat ramps were way out of the water and some people would launch off the shore. We are all sitting watching this couple try to launch their boat. The area they took was very flat. He was in the boat while he keep yelling at her to keep backing up. She had backup so far that water was higher then the doors of the truck. After they got the boat off, she pulls up. When she opens up the door you can see water pouring out of the truck.