Notices

Funny Boating Stories

Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny Boating Stories

Thought this would be fun:

There is a cove in Spring Lake MI called hanky panky cove. There is about 50 boats anchored and a husband wife and two kids idle in to anchor with the bunch of us.

You needed to pay out a lot of scope and a little back down power to get the anchor to bite then you could shorten up the line.

This gentleman is in a performance boat and is know to several of us as a local engine builder. Clean professional shop his boat is clean clean.

His really good looking and in shape wife goes to the bow and drops the anchor and he tries to set it no luck. This happens over and over and he is getting a little frustrated and churping at his wife. People are now starting to notice and a couple more tries and more instructions to the wife that makes it clear she is screwing this up.

Now just about everyone has a beer in their hand and watching.

He now gives her very loud commands and tells her to wait while he backs up and then to tie the anchor line off so he backs backs backs and she is letting the line out and he is really pissed and she is taking the brunt of it.

She pays out the anchor line and when she gets to the bitter end she turns looks at him square in the eye and drops it over board.

There was cheering and horns and mostly laughter. She stayed right at the bow he said nothing but very carefully turned the boat and left.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I was sure the wife was gonna end up in the drink. Nice little story.
Go get 'em girl!

P.S. Just another reason to have the end of your anchor line secured,

Last edited by rak rua; 08-03-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the funny part- you thinking he was really good looking or him losing the anchor?? J/K ��

Aren't hanky panky coves a little more secluded than 50 boats ��?

Couple years ago witnessed a similar drunk hot head screaming at the wife, she tried telling him that he was starting the wrong motor (without flush muffs and water supply) and got screamed at more. She crossed her arms and watched him run it without any water. nobody watching his ****show bothered to tell him either. Sometimes Karma does work out.

Last edited by Powerquest230; 08-04-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Registered

Default another funny story

Dry Land Marina Grand Rapids MI. Used to be a very high volume boat dealer.

We took a newer Bayliner in on trade I do not think it was three months old.

One of the techs came into my office to ask a question. He said when they came in this morning it was running, key off but it was running.

I said I do not know how that could happen but I would call the local Bayliner dealer and see if he had any insight.

So I call the Bayliner dealer and explain this new Bayliner started on it's own. He says I do not know but if we figure it out could we call him back as he said he is looking out the window at a rack of New Bayliners and several of them are starting and stopping on there own.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

One time out on the lake boat a lady friend took it on herself to toss the anchor into the water when we stopped. I told her that I usually clamp it to the boat first . . .
Old 08-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I dropped anchor in my new 270 SLX Sea Ray on a maiden run, sat for a little while with a coldie then noticed we were adrift. Pulled the anchor up but no anchor on the end of the rope/chain! Dealer's fault, obviously not shackled on tight.

We'd anchored close to a roped off swimming zone in about 10' of water so I motored back there and dived down to look for the anchor. After 3-4 dives, I found it! Down one more time and managed to bring it to the surface, treading water furiously with a heavy anchor in hand and trying to get my 'non-boating' mate to lean over the side and bring it in but he was clapping and smiling because I'd found it. Never crossed his mind it was heavy and pulling me under. Had to drop it, take a few breaths and explain to him "take the damn thing from me!" Dived down once more, brought it up and he leaned over and lifted it aboard.

Stupid mates!

RR
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Cruising the Illinois river several years ago I came across a small runabout that is completely out of the water up on the bank with the bow facing towards the water. WTF?! OK, I have to pull up and find out how this happened. I pull up close to the bank and inquire about their situation. Appears they had just launched upstream a bit and a short distance into their ride figured out their boat was taking on water as they forgot to install the drain plug. Fearing they were going to sink, the driver gunned it towards the bank and at the last second trimmed up and cranked the wheel over hard and the boat slid up sideways onto the bank and then hooked and turned bow out to the water. Gave them easy access to install the drain plug! Being it was a small, light runabout, we hooked up a tow rope from my two rear cleats to his bow eye and had a couple of their party pushing the boat from behind and we were able to get it back off the bank and they were on their way. This was pre-cell phone camera days or I would of snapped a few pics. I usually had a camera on me for river runs for eagle pics but did not have it on me that day,
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rak rua
I dropped anchor in my new 270 SLX Sea Ray on a maiden run, sat for a little while with a coldie then noticed we were adrift. Pulled the anchor up but no anchor on the end of the rope/chain! Dealer's fault, obviously not shackled on tight.

We'd anchored close to a roped off swimming zone in about 10' of water so I motored back there and dived down to look for the anchor. After 3-4 dives, I found it! Down one more time and managed to bring it to the surface, treading water furiously with a heavy anchor in hand and trying to get my 'non-boating' mate to lean over the side and bring it in but he was clapping and smiling because I'd found it. Never crossed his mind it was heavy and pulling me under. Had to drop it, take a few breaths and explain to him "take the damn thing from me!" Dived down once more, brought it up and he leaned over and lifted it aboard.

Stupid mates!

RR
Man that reminds me of getting the ski boat wrapped up in the cable slalom course at the university of Alabama. We were doing maintenance on the course and got the cable wrapped in the prop on the inboard ski boat. Luckily I had a prop wrench in the truck. So swam to shore, get wrench. Swim back and start removing prop. Now lake is about 40-50 ft deep so anything dropped is gone. We got it all taken apart and off the shaft. I also was treading like a mad man to keep my head above water. I made it to the surface once. Other ski team member in the boat saw I wasn't going to be able to swim with the damn prop in my hand and thankfully pulled me up. When then swam the boat back to shore and reinstalled the prop and all was well with the world again. What a fiasco though.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Good old funny anchor stories...love'm.

Old Chris Craft cruiser coming in to our dock. Person driving starts yelling at his wife that the steering rudder broke and go throw the anchor...we have lots of rocks nearby....our lake is very rocky.....she runs up to the bow, grabs the anchor, and throws it...both she and he immediately go from super stressed to smiling and relaxed until they notice boat is still going towards rocks and I yell out to them "There was no line tied to the anchor." His face goes to embarrassed and stressed again, she turn to him with hands on hips (as guys we all know what this means when a women does this) . Yeh, I jumped in and stopped the boat luckily. Funny as heck......no anchor line on the boat at all, and she did exactly what she was supposed to...threw the anchor.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Registered

At the launch ramp at Austin Lake just south of Kalamazoo.

DNR shows up alone towing a small aluminum boat maybe 14' with a small outboard.

The entire rig looks brand new.

He lines up to put it in and within a few feet it is 90 degrees to the small truck.

Several us are watching but it is so small you could just about pick it up and put it in by hand. So we just watch.

He is very patient but he simply cannot do anything but get it straight then within a few feet it is 90 degrees to the truck on one side or the other.

He tries over and over again but simply cannot get his little boat launched and after too many attempts to count and about 30 minutes he leaves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.