Winterizing 1996 502 Magnum

Notices

Winterizing 1996 502 Magnum

Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing 1996 502 Magnum

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance on winterizing my 1996 272 Baja with a 502 Magnum. I know where to find the port on either side of the block and the port on either manifold, but I am not sure about how to make sure I get the water out of the power steering unit.
When I remove the hoses from the sea water pump to drain the pump, would that empty any water from the power steering unit and also, is there anything else that has to be drained? I plan on filling the block and manifolds with anti-freeze for extra protection. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything else.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

You would be doing yourself a favour by purchasing the Mercruiser Operators Manual for that model from a dealer. The winterizing instructions and requirements for regular service are all in there.
Phil
Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Camco D-I-Y Boat Engine Winterizing and Flushing System Kit - 65501 | eBay

Buy one of these kits, run some RV antifreeze through it, DONE!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Warm engine up on the hose then swap over to pink juice (6 gallons).
Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Never used it nor plan on it - 30 years of winterizations many boats and winterizied my own boats before that without it and never one problem if winterizing is properly done.

Plus most of the pink stuff does not have enough corrosion inhibitors in it anyways. All anti freeze is primary made of a form of alcohol in which promotes rust if it does not have correct PH balanced levels and a lot of corrosion inhibitors added into the mix. Watch the video

Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Plus why would you want to store for periods of time any form of a liquid in the exhaust side ie Headers or manifolds / risers and riser gaskets for the potential of it leaking into your cylinders regarless if it was anti freeze or not.

Anti freeze is not going to stop a small crack in the water jacket or stop a riser gasket from leaking that has already taken place or about to. Example CMI headers = leak prone internally - also OEM Merc riser gaskets before dry joint exhaust. The same with Indmar riser gaskets - can leak internally at some point. Just had that one from Indmar.