Notices

Boat advice

Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat advice

My boating has always been on the river but I'm wanting to make some ocean trips. If I tell you want I'm thinking maybe someone can steer me in the correct direction.

My plan is some trips off shore around Florida. I've been making trips there with a small boat and jet skis but I'm thinking trips to and around the Bahamas.
What I want, enough room to sleep on the boat. Doesn't need a kitchen or shower just a place to spend a night or two.
Two engines, I can't see being 50 miles from shore and having only one motor.
Cruising speed of 40+
Under 40' overall would be great, it would fit in my barn.
Doesn't need to be new or close to new but I'm not looking for a project.

So far the only one I've looked at is a Scarab, haven't seen the cabin in person, not sure how big they are?
A 34' twin drive is for sale near me, around 30 grand, about my upper limit on cost.
Ocean worthy? What about MPG? A cooler and grill get me by for a weekend trip?
So any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

this looks like a nice boat, asking $37K

fresh water use

twin motors

big comfy cabin

posted 1 day ago...

https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/d/199...314915767.html

Attached Thumbnails Boat advice-frm1.jpg   Boat advice-frm2.jpg   Boat advice-frm3.jpg  

Old 09-23-2017, 09:34 PM
Registered

I know nothing about this type of boat, like which brands have weak spots or do better in rough water. It is nice, those curtains would have to go, little too much color.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

For that type of running look at 302 scarabs and stuff of the like. 30+ center consoles with twin outboards. 302 sport, 31 fountain, baja made one in that range, donzi also. Just have a survey done and make sure the hulls are solid. The ones I listed have small cabins with a vberth which can be slept on but a lot more room in the cockpit. If you just want a twin engine inboard go fast style I'm all for it. But sounds like island cruising is what your after more than speed and a 30ish cc with 4strokes will give you much better economy.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Registered

Darr....... do I win a prize? ;-)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cabin in my scarab is small, but doable for me and the wife no problem.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward a go fast style boat. I've seen from the posts on here I'll never have what's considered a fast boat but I'd like to get where I'm going and not take all day doing it. A couple big block chevy motors would be better for me than outboards. I worked as a mechanic for 30 years and I can rebuild them easy, the lower units shouldn't pose much of an issue either. Outboards, they sometimes just need a new long block. My jetskis cost more to fix motorwise than a new crate motor from GM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Registered

Understandable, but you asked about efficiency and twin big block boats are never efficient. Also the service life on the outboards seem to be amazing these days. Especially the newer 4 stroke stuff. They will damn near run forever if maintained.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Registered

I kind of didn't want supercharged engines. My ski is supercharged and uses much more fuel than the non charged one. I have to admit the last outboard I had was a 2 stroke mercury and it used as much gas as the 502 inboard I have now. What kind of life is a four stroke good for 1000 hours?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Registered

Ive seen several for sale with 1500+ hour and great compression still. I don't think there is a magic number for them, but 1000 hours seems not problem for them.

And I feel you on supercharged stuff. I went from twin 625 hp whippled 454's efi's to the scarab with 2 stroke 225 efi's. These are considered "thirsty" motors in the outboard world and I just laugh. Feel like I own a prius now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.