Notices

Don't Come Back!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As nice as Torch and Higgins are, why go there and deal with trouble when you have that kind of hardware?

I understand the "principle" argument but, for as short as our boating season is, why even bother or put yourself in a position where you have to deal with that? Pick your battles - life is too short for that kind of conflict.

Like has been pointed out, Lake Michigan is right there. If Lake Michigan is blowing, Grand Traverse Bay has gorgeous water and stays somewhat protected if the wind and waves kick up.

If you really need to get on Torch, or some other inland lake, go on your buddies smaller/quieter boat, rent a run about or a pontoon and have at it..... I'll shake my head and wonder why, but you'll be on the water and any trouble you still find yourself in won't have to do with loud exhaust.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I agree about Lake Michigan or maybe Charlevoix, which has access to the big lake. Or buy some Gibson clamp on mufflers.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As an older guy (65) I have learned a few absolutes: Average go fast boater verses law enforcement = you lose!, Well behaved, rational, respectful go fast boater verses law enforcement = you lose!, Drunk or obnoxious go fast boater verses law enforcement = you lose, with expenses! There are unfortunate stereotypes that have been earned and cultivated by a minority of irresponsible and careless members of our fraternity. In my experience, most of the average family boaters out there don't care about what we do as long as we are responsible and law abiding. The problem with small affluent waterfront communities is consistent pretty much everywhere. Wealthy, liberal, taxpayers are setting legal but possibly unrealistic standards that impact what we do. I try to not offend any one when I launch the Tiger, and have gotten positive responses from the harbormaster and observers most always. My boat has 653" supercharged motors, and even with GGB inserts will never meet noise standards. I launch, warmup, and maintain proper speeds in a very trendy yuppie town in Massachusetts, on a 20 minute ride to the ocean. So far, no issues. I also understand that certain towns along Cape Cod and specifically the Vineyard and Nantucket are off limits. I don't need or want the aggravation involved with law enforcement tussles, whether justified or imagined. It is counterproductive to go out for a blast that is marred by stress! Remember to pick your battles! As usual, just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I keep my boat on West Bay but spend some time at a place on Torch also. The 4th of July sand bar mess in the past has a lot to do with attitudes on the lake. A bunch of slob boaters and slob walk ins, under age drinking and drunks trashed the south end of the lake and left their mess in the water and along the roads for the home owners in that area.
Homeowners are pissed about the situation, hear a loud boat, they associate the loud boats with the mess wrongly and the loud boaters take the heat.

Last edited by Interceptor; 09-30-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Never knew how nice that Lake was. Too bad about the cocksuckers, I`d probably last about 5 minutes before getting hassled
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I keep my boat on West Bay but spend some time at a place on Torch also. The 4th of July sand bar mess in the past has a lot to do with attitudes on the lake. A bunch of slob boaters and slob walk ins, under age drinking and drunks trashed the south end of the lake and left their mess in the water and along the roads for the home owners in that area.
Homeowners are pissed about the situation, hear a loud boat, they associate the loud boats with the mess wrongly and the loud boaters take the heat.
This year was a lot better on the 4th, multiple blue plastic 55 gallon drums were placed on the sandbar for waste and recycling. This kept the trash in the water to a minimum. Not sure who supplied them but they worked well.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
This past summer I had a couple friends that were told to get off the lake and do not come back. When the Sheriff tells you that, what do you do in that situation? One was on Torch Lake and another incident was on Higgins Lake, both in MI for those that don't know. The incident on Higgins was with a 36 cig with Zul 700/565s that had some raspy exhaust. The deputy that checked his db level the first time must not have been too bright as my bud only ran one motor...thats funny chit! The next time he launched it they told him to get it off the lake, come to find out the db meter wasnt even on the lake.

On to incident #2, Nortech 36 with 5" exhaust and 850s, Sheriff at Torch told him to not come back and didnt even test his db.

What is the legality of this? And what happens when you say "write me the ticket, I am staying"?

Was this strictly DB related or was speed around others tied in with the DB?

Few Years back we were on Higgins Lake with (Check300) Single engine 1500 hp plus.
Bill asked the cops straight up what the rules and regs were?

Best I remember he told us common sense prevails.
If we are in a safe area, and not putting others in harms way, they enjoy watching as much as
we enjoy boating.

Seemed far enough, we opened it up several times with out issue.

Jon
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Actually the owner of the Gladiator w/Zuls did win.......he sold the boat and has a pile of cash to keep him warm all winter!
And the buyer of the gladiator has been running all around with those ZULs with Stelling Headers and even the police wave as we go by!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

What's the process fro the dB check? Certain amount of feet away from the boat at idle? Do any of the areas stated herein have the same laws for car exhaust? From what I've read locally, they've been unable to get such laws to stick for cars. Why are they relevant for one vehicle but not for another?

As for being told not to come back. I'm going with there has to be a paper trail in order to enforce such a statement. As "we" know verbal contracts don't exist. I'd tell the officer to put it on paper and welcome his boarding to check anything he wants too. A big smile from me when he acknowledges my **** is straight as an arrow.

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
.... you had 2 weeks to prove you can get your exhaust under 90db. If you did the ticket was ripped up, if not you had to pay the fine.
IMO, cost of ownership, just like speeding tickets on a sport bike. I accepted them with a smile.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not on my boat!

A cop on the boat is never a good thing! I too was once naive and confident in my level of compliance. By the time they raft alongside. (with a potential for damage to the cosmetics), climb over your upholstery with nasty police issue black sole shoes, do the 15 minute inspection, and find that you have full, green arrow but not current dated fire extinguishers, straight arrow smugness is not much consolation. Ask me how I know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.