Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Fall of Mercury Racing. Opportunity? >

The Fall of Mercury Racing. Opportunity?

Notices

The Fall of Mercury Racing. Opportunity?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Merc hasn't fallen. No one wants 2 strokes and no one wants performance boats. Your welcome to jump in the market with a product. Good luck.
But you didn't read the article. I specifically said it's not about reminiscing about old technology. Although having said that, Evinrude sales are growing with the G2 and they have lower emissions than competitive four-strokes. I like the idea of a light performance four-stroke. The performance boat market is growing and has been for the last 6 years. Outboard sales are at an all time high.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RVRCAT28
Verado L4SC- A little more than 500 lbs. HP can be turned up and add gearcase options.
Have you run one? I'm not a fan. Way too heavy too, steering is sloppy etc.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
No one wants 2 strokes and no one wants performance boats.

lmao......really?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
over-complex, .
2 strokes are over-complex? And here I thought they had less parts (no valve train, etc)?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
2 strokes are over-complex? And here I thought they had less parts (no valve train, etc)?
Meaning, DI pumps and all the good stuff that comes with Green two strokes.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get the feeling Merc Racing isn't going anywhere. As for opportunity, what might that be? Someone said that no-one wants 2 stroke outboards or performance boats (or something similar). I noticed Tim G was reading this. Here is a guy that is selling 57' Center Consoles w/ 4 BIG 7 marine outboards in the middle east; for sh!t-tons of dough. MTI has designed new model after new model in recent years, primarily for the outboard market. So lets ask him- "excuse me, Mr. G sir, would you say that Merc Racing, outboards (in general) and/or the performance boats markets' are in trouble?".

There is a reason that Volvo bough 7 Marine. As for the 2 strokes, eventually it will be evolution that kills them, but not for a while yet.

Yeah Man, you lost any opening with Merc forever. Think Monkey, think!!

Last edited by iamjoe; 10-24-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktruck
In the context of the article it has. https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2017...g04yzgm3zse9ha
Ah, that explains it. Yep, I miss the old V-6 2-stroke outboards. I especially liked the simplicity of the carbed 2.0 and 2.4. Maybe Yamaha can fill the void? Hard for a newcomer to make it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 1998 Mercury 250 EFI Saltwater Series. Smoke on start up but much less when warm. I like to tie up on the outside anyway...
Not a ball buster in the traditional sense but 35' CC with huge bimini top, seating for 10 and stand up vacu flush I get 53-55 mph and have 540 hrs with no repairs except for plugs, impellers and belts with 100% saltwater usage.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem with Mercury Marine and performance outboards imo is they are the only game in town..... back in the 70's & 80's when OMC had a racing division they challenged Mercury at every race site... beating Mercury to a point that Mercury lobbied APBA to "restrict" the new (and faster) OMC outboards almost to extinction.... then all you saw at the races was Mercury vs Mercury... boring and made the factory sponsored teams unbeatable..... Be nice to see Bombardier & Yamaha set up a racing program and put Mercury back to work!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe,
You're correct... we do a fair bit of OBs now... Our 42 Vs take 4 at a shot.... And we have done a few boat with the big V8 627 from Seven Marine... Our new 340X cat has been a great success, and is using the 400 Verado...
The performance that Mercury gets out of a 400 Verado is exceptional..... 400 hp, 7000 rpm....and a 5 year warranty... SO I can run my 340 X at WOT 7000 rpm every weekend for 5 years and they have the faith that warranty won't put them down..... Unreal...
Mercury has done it right.
I'm a fan of two strokes... I actually worked for BRP when they brought out the E-Tec technology..... Very, Very good engines.... I really think a 400hp E Tec would open some eyes....

The point here was about the hi-po two strokes..... What is the real market for them? Will 200 sell each year? Not 1000... I know that...
Mercury is a big dog that needs to be fed... Selling 200 engines doesn't warrant the assembly line, parts, and support....
I certainly understand why they wouldn't want to continue the line...

Originally Posted by iamjoe
I get the feeling Merc Racing isn't going anywhere. As for opportunity, what might that be? Someone said that no-one wants 2 stroke outboards or performance boats (or something similar). I noticed Tim G was reading this. Here is a guy that is selling 57' Center Consoles w/ 4 BIG 7 marine outboards in the middle east; for sh!t-tons of dough. MTI has designed new model after new model in recent years, primarily for the outboard market. So lets ask him- "excuse me, Mr. G sir, would you say that Merc Racing, outboards (in general) and/or the performance boats markets' are in trouble?".

There is a reason that Volvo bough 7 Marine. As for the 2 strokes, eventually it will be evolution that kills them, but not for a while yet.

Yeah Man, you lost any opening with Merc forever. Think Monkey, think!!
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.