Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors?? >

Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors??

Notices

Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors??

Old 10-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors??

Ok this is my idea tell me your feedback
First I want to build super bulletproof short blocks and I will put the heads fuel injection myself.
I want to complete a list of parts to buy and then buy the parts online and send them to a machine shop where they will balance and assemble the parts and then send me the short blocks
I want to buy online because it is cheaper of course but that is not the main reason.I want to choose all the parts for my build and if you buy a premade engine it will never be exactly how you like it.

Does anyone know of a shop that has the ability to balance crank shafts and built with high quality standards, where I can do it how I want.Anywhere in the usa

Dart Blocks
Billet Rods- balanced
Forged diamond pistons- balanced
Lunatti or Crower forged or billet crankshaft

?????????
Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What state?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Read the thread about Eddie Young then make your own decision. Eddie Young.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand you wanting to save some dough on the parts.
that said, starting a relationship with a machinist by cutting his nuts off on the parts is bad form in my opinion. Oftentimes, the shop can match online parts prices or get damn close because they get better pricing.
let the shop make a few bucks on parts and it may help keep the profit he has to make on machine work and assembly down.

second thing.
A lot of good shops don't want to get into a situation where they build half an engine and the customer completes it.
If you tell them you don't have the skills / tools to assemble a shortblock, he's going to question whether or not you have the skills/ tools to properly complete the work. he's going to be on a slippery slope if things go bad.
Our local shop will machine the parts and give them back OR build the entire engine all
the way to priming the oil system.

Last edited by vintage chromoly; 10-27-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Judging by your post, there's one place that will make you happy, other than you bolting on heads and injection.

Mercury. Just buy a new complete engine package
Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

If you supply the parts there will be no warranty. Maybe just discuss your parts combo with the engine builder you choose.
Sorry, I don't know anyone I'm comfortable recommending other than Mercury or other complete package as mentioned above.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I understand you wanting to save some dough on the parts.
that said, starting a relationship with a machinist by cutting his nuts off on the parts is bad form in my opinion. Oftentimes, the shop can match online parts prices or get damn close because they get better pricing.
let the shop make a few bucks on parts and it may help keep the profit he has to make on machine work and assembly down.

second thing.
A lot of good shops don't want to get into a situation where they build half an engine and the customer completes it.
If you tell them you don't have the skills / tools to assemble a shortblock, he's going to question whether or not you have the skills/ tools to properly complete the work. he's going to be on a slippery slope if things go bad.
Our local shop will machine the parts and give them back OR build the entire engine all
the way to priming the oil system.
Agreed, if you don't believe this just look at any thread by Full Force on here.. it everyone else's fault his sh!t breaks all the time...Also bought a sunk titanic clone that was "wet in a couple spots"
Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Try giving Carl Hinkson a call

http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/

Theres "pro" marine engine builders, that have other shops do their machine work and short block assemblies for them. Sometimes there isnt enought time in a day for a 1 or 2 man show, to be assembling engines, rigging , plumbing, making custom brackets, and so on, when you have a stack of customers engines to get done. Let alone play machinist boring blocks, honing lifter bores, balancing rotating assemblies, and so on.

I wouldnt expect much in the way of a warranty, but hell, even a brand new mercury marine engine isnt coming with a 5 yr 60k mile warranty.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:12 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's also "pro" engine builders that have no machining equipment.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by turbos230
Ok this is my idea tell me your feedback
First I want to build super bulletproof short blocks and I will put the heads fuel injection myself.
I want to complete a list of parts to buy and then buy the parts online and send them to a machine shop where they will balance and assemble the parts and then send me the short blocks
I want to buy online because it is cheaper of course but that is not the main reason.I want to choose all the parts for my build and if you buy a premade engine it will never be exactly how you like it.

Does anyone know of a shop that has the ability to balance crank shafts and built with high quality standards, where I can do it how I want.Anywhere in the usa

Dart Blocks
Billet Rods- balanced
Forged diamond pistons- balanced
Lunatti or Crower forged or billet crankshaft

?????????
Sounds like you need to head to Texas and have Shooter build you some motors! Jeff can even transport them for you via Long Island!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.