Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ball valve for raw water hose >

Ball valve for raw water hose

Notices

Ball valve for raw water hose

Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

My first size comment comes from experience, and not saying you will have same issue just something to look for. Have a Seadoo PWC and if the motor dies and needs to be towed, it's recommend to use something to close off the exhaust 3/4 water line. Not doing this may cause the motor to inject water.

Needed to find a 3/4 ball valve and fittings. Everything I found in this size either had issues with flow either with fittings or ball and all were listed as 3/4 inch. Wound up buying a Pex Ball valve. This had the same ID with the ball and connections, all one piece. Would not recommend Pex in this case due to the possibility of it coming off. Just info only
Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

why are you wanting to stop the water from running out the drive? if you are want to stop it so the garden hose is force feeding the pump you will likely be buying a new motor. you want the raw water pump to pull the water into it so it controls the water pressure the engine see's. if you stop the water from running out the drive the garden hose can put 60 psi or more into the engine which the gaskets and exhaust will not be happy about. if you are feeding water from the hose into the tee and it is running out the drive and when you start the engine it does not immediately pull it into the engine then the raw water pump is not working.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed a pair of these.
40615 - Webstone 40615 - 1-1/4" Pro-Pal Full Port Forged Brass Ball Valve w/ Hi-Flow Hose Drain & Reversible Handle

with these male adapters.
MERRILL MANUFACTURING IBMANL125 1-1/4" NL MALE ADAPTER MER IBMANL125
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

The data on the website is somewhat vague.

How many ways does the valve flow? Three (atleast) I hope. From drive pickup to raw water pump obviously. But what about when bringing the flush hose in? Can you close off flow to the drive when flushing while still allowing flow to the raw water pump?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct. You close the large ball valve handle then open the smaller flush valve. This keeps water from flowing back out the outdrive.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Good point about having too much pressure inside the engine. Imthought a garden hose had more like 30 ish pounds of pressure, not 60 ! In my formula, i was plumbed like that so it allowed me, for the only time i ran in salt for 4 days, to flush the engine even in the slip at the end of the day!

tough call!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

that is part of the problem. I have seen garden hoses with 25-30 psi and alot of them with way over 60-70 psi. when the water runs out the drive then the only pressure in the engine is what the pump makes. as for being in salt water, I have seen them with a valve but the boat had sea strainers so they would close the valve and take the lid off the strainer and let the water run in the top. that way the pressure in the hose did not build pressure in the engine.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a set up that uses a ball valve to keep water from running out the transom mounted pick up when closed. I hook my garden hose to my freshwater flush, and close the ball valve. The only way you are gonna see 60psi of pressure, or even 30psi of pressure in the block , is if you capped the water lines feeding the exhaust manifolds, so the water can't get out of the engines. My boat came setup this way , and ive used it to run my engines on the hose for years, and never had an issue. I have even checked my dash water pressure gauge with hose on /engine off, and never saw any amount of postive pressure in the engine.