Notices

Up & Over...

Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

CMS left his lane and cut the white boat off...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Thats actually a slight right hand dogleg bend at the entrance of the mole leading into the harbor turn. Boats tend to bunch to the outside (shore side) of the course right there and it gets very tight at that speed. Technically if theres a mechanical issue protocol dictates going to the inside of the course and wait out the race but its not uncommon to spool down and come in there . . . if and only if you have assured cleared distance and race control clears it . . .been there done that. I really think it is an unfortunate series of very fast and very close together mis calcs that led up to it and i am glad everyone was OK . . . fiberglass can be fixed . . . i do agree the bulk of the events lies on CMS though
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Significant deck damage.
Attached Thumbnails Up & Over...-boat1.jpg   Up & Over...-boat2.jpg   Up & Over...-boat3.jpg  

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

It would suck to have to put that boat back together with your own money.......
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

[QUOTE=TENSION;4593181]From the laith pharoan driving school........[/QUOT Zero Defect, I remember that.....I like your wit!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

thats busted up pretty bad, theres guys out there that can make it right tho.
most important they made it out, and i hope they come back next year
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Pasting in some info I put on FB in another conversation:

When you break down, you turn infield and wait for permission from Race Control for a clear path to cross the active race course into the pits. That's the rules, which they all know and sat through a daily briefing on.

Instead, CMS opted to bang an immediate right into the pits while on the active race course, directly into the path of the CT boat behind them; a fundamental and catastrophic mistake that was lucky not to have killed anyone. There is no "pit lane". The reason for the rule to turn infield is so that there is NOT a collision which would send a boat into the spectators; which this very well could have. There are no "right turns" off the race course in Key West. The infield is where rescue and mechanical (towing/sinking) assistance is waiting for competitors, not the pits. To enter the pits, you come off plane into the infield, get permission to cross, and then enter the pits, period. Similarly, that's the way EVERY race is ended as well. Even if the orange CMS boat was taking on water, he would sit out in the middle and sink without permission from Race Control to leave/cross the active race course to enter the pits.

I can see why they made the mistake, and can say if it were me; I might have made the same one. They were off the pace due to mechanical failure further back down the race course, and likely thought they would just tuck into the pits and call it a day. These race teams have spotters as well, and this was a breakdown on several levels, unfortunately. Regardless of where the CMS boat was on the course, the CT boat "knew" according to the rules that they were to pass on the outside. When CMS banged the right, that's when things went haywire. If CMS was behind a bouy like was once mentioned, there would not have been a lane for the white CT Team boat to have been in.

I was told by two different reliable resources that CMS conceded fault to the CT Team afterward; and is working with them on replacing the deck of the CT boat with a spare that they had.

Also, look how close this is to spectators; and the actual Race Control tower. A few feet, a few seconds, a different breeze, or a different last second rudder adjustment; this could have been massively tragic.
https://www.rt.com/usa/409675-superb...e-crash-video/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-13-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Pasting in some info I put on FB in another conversation:

When you break down, you turn infield and wait for permission from Race Control for a clear path to cross the active race course into the pits. That's the rules, which they all know and sat through a daily briefing on.

Instead, CMS opted to bang an immediate right into the pits while on the active race course, directly into the path of the CT boat behind them; a fundamental and catastrophic mistake that was lucky not to have killed anyone. There is no "pit lane". The reason for the rule to turn infield is so that there is NOT a collision which would send a boat into the spectators; which this very well could have. There are no "right turns" off the race course in Key West. The infield is where rescue and mechanical (towing/sinking) assistance is waiting for competitors, not the pits. To enter the pits, you come off plane into the infield, get permission to cross, and then enter the pits, period. Similarly, that's the way EVERY race is ended as well. Even if the orange CMS boat was taking on water, he would sit out in the middle and sink without permission from Race Control to leave/cross the active race course to enter the pits.

I can see why they made the mistake, and can say if it were me; I might have made the same one. They were off the pace due to mechanical failure further back down the race course, and likely thought they would just tuck into the pits and call it a day. These race teams have spotters as well, and this was a breakdown on several levels, unfortunately. Regardless of where the CMS boat was on the course, the CT boat "knew" according to the rules that they were to pass on the outside. When CMS banged the right, that's when things went haywire. If CMS was behind a bouy like was once mentioned, there would not have been a lane for the white CT Team boat to have been in.

I was told by two different reliable resources that CMS conceded fault to the CT Team afterward; and is working with them on replacing the deck of the CT boat with a spare that they had.

Also, look how close this is to spectators; and the actual Race Control tower. A few feet, a few seconds, a different breeze, or a different last second rudder adjustment; this could have been massively tragic.
https://www.rt.com/usa/409675-superb...e-crash-video/
CMS did NOT concede fault. And CMS is NOT paying for the damage suffered by the white boat. Also, CMS was not pulling into the pits when the accident happened. The team was running exactly where it should - to the extreme outside of the course to stay out of everyone’s way - given that it was way down on power but continuing to run for points because of their first place finish on Wednesday. Just before they were hit from behind CMS lost the starboard motor. The white boat, meanwhile took a very dangerous line, attempting to pass CMS on the sea wall side of the course after running blindly in the CMS rooster tail for quite a distance at 150 mph. The impact from the white boat pushed CMS slightly to the right. The prop from the white boat tore through the deck and destroyed the port motor. CMS turned into the pits after the collision, which is exactly what the team should have done given their location at the time, and basically coasted to the crane, running into the sea wall and finally coming to a stop.

Bob and Randy have a combined 60 years experience in offshore racing. How much experience did the driver of the white boat have at the time? He picked a very, very, very dangerous line roaring into the harbor, and attempted a blind pass of a slower boat with people and concrete everywhere. Still, this was a racing accident. It happens. CMS will fix its boat and the owner of the white boat will have to fix his. Thank goodness everyone was safe.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

And there you have it. Two conflicting stories to debate through the long winter.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
And there you have it. Two conflicting stories to debate through the long winter.
I'm guessing there's a 3rd story out there somewhere. But It's racing, accidents happen. Let's cheer to the fact that they "all" walked away from this and we don't have to be wishing them to RIP..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.