finding center and locating X >

finding center and locating X

Notices

finding center and locating X

Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default finding center and locating X

if an oso moderator could start a sticky we could start an informative end all "finding centerline and locating X " thread.

posting this because when i located X using the sqaure method, i figured the tape measure method would be close since it's only
12 degrees and X is only 17 9/16, wrong, it's way longer and it threw me for a loop.

i'm no math guy and have no idea how to figure out what the difference ( between sqaure and tape measure )
should be for any given X.
(unless i physically draw a 0 degree line and 12 degree line and measure it)

i.e., 18 inch X sqaure method equals ?? inches on 12 degree transom using tape measure method

2nd part of the math of this is how many degrees "OFFICIALLY" is the mercury bravo transom assembly
and if it's different from the boat how does that translate to X on the transom so propshaft is at desired height

i.e., transom is 12, assembly is 13, leading edge of prop is 24 inches from transom when propshaft is level w/ keel, therefore
1 degree over 24 inches equals ?? of an inch so move X up that much.

3rd math is shaft to shaft measurement

i.e., 21 13/16 minus 17 9/16 equals 4 1/4 propshaft (not including the 2nd math part)

link as a reference to the 24 inches i figure the leading edge of the blades are off the transom
bravoone_2005-2010.pdf
second link has a lot
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...tion-drawings/

last edit, the mercury filter shows old bravo and sweptback, the sweptback prop is 3 inches further back
the sweptback drawing is way down by the bottom, the old drive is up top.

looking for sound contributions,
thank you.

so this is what happened.
i pulled a line down the keel from just after the inner strakes and out past the transom.
a piece of wood w/ braided fishing line was clamped onto the trailer frame up to the keel, the other end went on a jackstand.

boat on trailer and the trailer is very close to level, 3 jackstands 1 up front under the trailer and
2 in back under the chines to tweak level.
a 5/16 i.d hose is used as a water level each end is on the rear jackstands.
a plumb bob is taped on the transom lined up with the string down the keel

first pics were at night to show the keel line set up, tomorrow i'll get better pics of that, last pic is only one there is of water level
and how it's hanging
Attached Thumbnails finding center and locating X-sany0515.jpg   finding center and locating X-sany0516.jpg   finding center and locating X-sany0517.jpg  

finding center and locating X-sany0512.jpg   finding center and locating X-sany0513.jpg   finding center and locating X-sany0511.jpg  

finding center and locating X-sany0370.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-28-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go with what we talked about. Higher is better so we can fine tune with spacers. Plus your stringers are tall