Performance Boat Center is HIRING!! Tech and Service Writers >

Performance Boat Center is HIRING!! Tech and Service Writers

Notices

Performance Boat Center is HIRING!! Tech and Service Writers

Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Boat Center is HIRING!! Tech and Service Writers

Come join the National and World Champion team at Performance Boat Center. PBC is currently expanding its Service Department. We are seeking qualified and preferably certified technicians as well as a service writer/assistant service manager. Pay will be determined by experience. $10-20 per hr. Jobs will be diverse as we work on high end performance boats, cruiser/yachts and center consoles. Experience with Mercury stern drives and Outboards is a must. Service writers/assistant managers will communicate with customers and employees, schedule work orders and billing, order parts, and ensure our customers are getting the best service possible. Jobs are full time basis, 401K plans and INS benefits included. email resumes to [email protected]
Old 11-30-2017, 05:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 73 Likes on 23 Posts

Can I get an employee discount on matching 42x and a 41GTR ?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Soo you work on High end boats that are most likely billed at $130 an hour by the Mercury book and you want to pay a Mercury Tech $20 an hour?

My dads Mexican cleaning Lady makes more than that.

No wonder your posting a help wanted Ad here.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Damn, I pay my unskilled labor $18/hr in Memphis, with the benefits you listed plus vacation. Good luck.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 11-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

marina down the street from me.
90 an hour tech (wyotech).
140 an hour (mercury trained tech).

parts service and price of new boats are over the top. i don't know why, what's involved, or what it takes to be in that industry
all i know is the sign under the golden arches say "over 1 billion served" not 1 served for a billion.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I never understood why working on and especially building boats get paid so poorly. $20.00 a hour straight time is big money in the boat world yet a Flat Rate auto tech makes $27.50 plus. And on the building end especially painting they don’t pay ****! I’d much rather paint a Honda Civic fender than sand and paint and buff a 52 MTI yet guess what pays more.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Soo you work on High end boats that are most likely billed at $130 an hour by the Mercury book and you want to pay a Mercury Tech $10-20 an hour?

My dads Mexican cleaning Lady makes more than that.

No wonder your posting a help wanted Ad here.
I fixed it for you
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

These kinds of threads should make everyone reflect... probably one of the busiest performance boat dealers in the country.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:59 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Damn, I pay my unskilled labor $18/hr in Memphis, with the benefits you listed plus vacation. Good luck.
Your guys that did the work on my trailer in your old shop sure didn’t screw around either. Never seen leaf spring swap on a triple axle happen so quick... let alone with the boat on still
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flat rate
I never understood why working on and especially building boats get paid so poorly. $20.00 a hour straight time is big money in the boat world yet a Flat Rate auto tech makes $27.50 plus. And on the building end especially painting they don’t pay ****! I’d much rather paint a Honda Civic fender than sand and paint and buff a 52 MTI yet guess what pays more.
Couple things attribute to it. On the building end, much of the labor of building mass produced boats is fairly unskilled general labor. It's doing the same thing over and over, and following basic instructions. Intrepid boats is about 5 minutes from where I'm sitting now and there are very few people in that facility making even 20 bucks an hour. And most of the people there have no speciality skills. They could be working at a boat factory, a furniture factory, or bagging groceries next week. They're just going through the motion of the task.
On the service side I'm not as sure about it. My shop does marine audio, lighting and electronics and some electrical rigging type work too. So we're not true service work but it's sort of close. My best guy was making about $20/hr straight time, and aside from going onto a commission or flat rate type scale there wasn't much room to pay him more. You can't really compare a flat rate auto tech because while they might list at $28/hr they often get flagged less hours than the job actually takes...and of course sometimes its the other way around too. But a lot of flat rate auto techs actual hourly rate is sub-20$.
A big part of it is there is basically no margin on boat parts. We make decent profit on audio and lighting, but other stuff we make squat. I'm sure bigger dealers get better programs but across the board I don't think anyone is making a ton of money on parts. Any customer can typically buy a Lowrance chart/fishfinder for less at ten online stores than I can buy it from the actual Lowrance distributor. If they're not able to make 40-50 percent on the parts they've got to make it up in the labor, which means paying the tech less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.