Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
At One Time The most boats sold around the world >

At One Time The most boats sold around the world

Notices

At One Time The most boats sold around the world

Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much all your cruise ships are done that way BCK.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Why isn't diesel electric being done? 1 diesel engine powering 2 electric motor drives.
I saw 5 of those pulling a 20 min train on the way to work today...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I saw 5 of those pulling a 20 min train on the way to work today...
Train engines are what made me think of it. Seems like a good idea for a boat. I wonder if it doesnt scale down for some reason? Hopefully 1 but if needed 2 diesel engines mated to generator(s) instead of transmissions with electric motors in place of all the gearing associated with normal drives. Lots of low rpm torque and any rpm you want ? Am l off base thinking 1 or 2 engines could provide enough electricity for a performance boat? Ideally it'd be 1 engine / generator powering 2 motors for a pair of drives. But even if you needed 2 engines/ generators it'd still be an improvement.

Last edited by bck; 12-08-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Train engines are what made me think of it. Seems like a good idea for a boat. I wonder if it doesnt scale down for some reason? Hopefully 1 but if needed 2 diesel engines mated to generator(s) instead of transmissions with electric motors in place of all the gearing associated with normal drives. Lots of low rpm torque and any rpm you want ? Am l off base thinking 1 or 2 engines could provide enough electricity for a performance boat? Ideally it'd be 1 engine / generator powering 2 motors for a pair of drives. But even if you needed 2 engines/ generators it'd still be an improvement.
Actually I agree probably a good thought as trains need sustained speed and huge torque like a boat motor makes but weight and complexity could be a factor. I wonder if Tesla ever considered it. They are making a semi tractor now.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bck
Why isn't diesel electric being done? 1 diesel engine powering 2 electric motor drives.
All modern tugs and any almost any dynamically positioned boats are all EMD's (Electro-Motive Diesels)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

The popularity and price points of Yamaha sportboats definitely took a bite out of Sea Ray's small runabout (19 to 24 feet) business. People got way too hung up—my opinion at least—on propeller versus jet propulsion. Meanwhile, Yamaha took a cue from the wakeboard boat market and filled its boats with the kinds of bells and whistles that appeal to younger buyers, first-time buyers and longtime boat owners in search of ease of operation.

If I'm not mistaken, Yamaha is moving 5,000 to 7,000 sportboat units a year.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 12-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Them and Bayliner switched back and forth for the biggest volumes of boats sold in the past. Now up for sale. Wow how times have changed. Man cruiser boats with outboards is Fugly to.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manuf...sletter-120517
And they still are sold in large volume around the world. This does not mean they aren't selling, it's a way Brunswick can raise some capital and refocus their brands that crossover too much. Plus, the sales numbers aren't disclosed separately right now, so we don't know. I will say their product used to be attractive and appealed to a large number of boaters and now they are some of the worst designs on the water. Sales in boats are really strong right now.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Actually I agree probably a good thought as trains need sustained speed and huge torque like a boat motor makes but weight and complexity could be a factor. I wonder if Tesla ever considered it. They are making a semi tractor now.
Torqueedo out of Germany is doing it.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Registered

Sea Ray is not dead at all, neither is Mercury or MerCruiser. Not even close.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

A diesel electric in a planing hull is moronic. Why add the weight of generator and motor when you can hook the engine straight to the prop?