Race World Offshore Releases Re-Tooled Schedule

Notices

Race World Offshore Releases Re-Tooled Schedule

Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Default Race World Offshore Releases Re-Tooled Schedule

New planned event roster for Race World Offshore, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...ooled-schedule.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I would like to see Race World Offshore schedule one of their races on the Detroit River between Windsor, ON. and Detroit, MI..
Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I would like to see Race World Offshore schedule one of their races on the Detroit River between Windsor, ON. and Detroit, MI..

Plenty of spectator access
Plenty of space for the race boats
Large population base
Huge crowds for the unlimited races
Nice course around Belle Isle

Obviously none of this makes sense.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short the question is will the city pay the sanctioning fees. It all sounds great to put race in local cities that we all think make sense. The problem is in today's economy the cities are not willing to pay the sanctioning fees to the organization and it's not cheap.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered

Over the years I have worked with a lot of cities with SBI and it all sounds great until you ask them for a check. The next thing they usually say is okay we'll get back to you, and that's the last you ever hear from the TDC
Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Registered

Detroit has put on offshore races before with multiple different organizations and apparently it was not a success, otherwise there would still be offshore racing there.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Detroit has put on offshore races before with multiple different organizations and apparently it was not a success, otherwise there would still be offshore racing there.
OPA did it back in 2014 (Detroit). I would call it a success based on the amount of people that showed up considering no one knew about it...... They tried again in 15 and 16 but no one stepped forward with the funding. It is a great venue, but I think the ROI just isn't there. Believe me I would love for them to pull it off again as its in my backyard, almost literately... I
Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
I agree with what you said but if no one knows about the race how do you expect to draw crowds? I remember back in the late 1980's Al Copeland Sr., Betty Cook and many others raced on the Detroit River into Lake St. Clair and back again but hardly anyone knew about it, so no spectator crowds. OPA put on a race on the Detroit River back in 2014 and it was excellent but once again not many knew about this race, as advertising of the race was very bad. You can have the greatest boats racers in the World racing but if no one knows about the race, it is doomed to failure because of advertising wasn't there. You just can't count on Face Book to advertise the race you need it in the Newspaper, Radio and TV and ahead of the race. I agree that it cost a lot of money to put on the race and many volunteers and most places won't sponsor it as they know very little about it. If people knew about an offshore powerboat race on the Detroit River or anywhere else and that it was FREE for all to watch this race from the waters edge with family and friends, don't you think that a lot of spectators would show up for some FREE entertainment by the water? Adverising will bring in the crowds and hopefully the sponsors after they seen the crowds.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Registered

I absolutely agree with what you said all great race sites have great promoters. The problem like I said earlier is is very difficult to do it because it cost a lot of money and most promoters aren't willing to take those chances. Like you stated in your post twice in capital letters it's free very difficult to recoup your money when the fans all come for free and don't pay at the gate. That is one of the biggest problems with offshore racing every other sport has a huge gate that people pay if you cant control the gate it's very difficult to have a successful race without a promoter committing to a large exposure.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 12-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Registered

Years ago race organizations tried promoting their own race and realized it's wasn't going to happen. That's why the organization produces the race and either a city or a promoter puts on the event.