Notices

Same old question...

Old 10-18-2002, 11:00 PM
JROMY2

Question Same old question...

I'm in the process of upgrading my 2000 259 Checkmate to a 30-33 something or other. I boat primarily in upstate NY, fresh water, no big waves, etc. etc. I always see this question from other members and have a quick answer for them, but not for myself. I tried the archived topics, but I kept having to make myself another rum and coke which distracted me, so I figured I'd just post a new thread. I want something in the $110,000.00 range +/- but I have to be able to sell it if I need to and I want quality. My two thoughts are Sunsation and Sonic for this price. (Here's where I start the usual controversy) I personally (my own opinion) believe that my Checkmate is a SOLID boat, but TERRIBLE fit and finish (rusting screws staining vinyl, have to be a contortionist to get in the cabin, etc.) I boat all year with a friend that has a 2002 Baja 29 footer. I think the lines are beautiful, the ergonomics are excellent, but quality POOR (big cracks around cleats, bolsters tearing out of floor after hitting big wave etc.) PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME 1000 MESSAGES ABOUT ME BASHING-I'M NOT. JUST STATING PROBLEMS I DON'T WANT. I would love an Apache, Pantera or Powerplay (considering I could get one in this price range), but I know I could never sell it quickly. What opinions does anyone have? Also what engines? Is it worth 500EFI's instead of 496 HO's?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2002, 01:02 AM
JROMY2

Default Common.....

Someone has to have some input?!?!?! If there are any dealers looking to trade my Checkmate for the right boat- I'm interested! The snow is going to be flying soon-help....

Old 10-19-2002, 03:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't think anything you buy in the 110k +/- price range will ever be "easy" to resell if you're in a big hurry to move it, unless you really low ball the price.
If I were seriously looking at the size and price range you are, I would start with the 32 Active Thunder and would take a serious look at Audacity's. There are also several other 32 AT's for sale also on the AT website.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My opinion is for you to find a good deal on a Top Gun Cigarette NOTHING holds its value like a Cig.

Kurt
Old 10-19-2002, 09:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to buy a used boat right in order to be able to sell it easily. I think Audacity might be that boat and frankly there are a lot of others out there now,too. Each type of boat has a following and the more followers, the better In your price range there are some awful nice boats 5-6 years old.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:16 AM
wilerty

JROMY2: You mention quality, the ability to sell it, $110,000, and 30-33 feet. You didn't mention top speed or that it had to be new so I will assume you don't need 100mph. Some thoughts:

1. There are more buyers at $20K, or $50K, or $80K, than at $110k. When you go to sell the boat it isn't only how well your boat is priced, but also, the size of the buying market.

2. Hutchinson's in ABay just became a Sonic dealer and you could talk to them about a 31SS, if you want a new boat.

3. My personal recommendation would be a 1992 to 2002 used Formula in the 30 to 33 foot range. They have great quality and you could buy one for considerably less than $110,000. Here are some examples from Trader online.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/0/32988180.htm http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/4/34754124.htm http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/0/34205990.htm

I'm not saying these are the exact boats you should look at but they types to look at.

Good luck

Old 10-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JROMY2,

I WISH I COULD HELP YOU BUT I SEEM TO BE HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS YOU. I CAN NOT DECIDE BETWEEN THE 32 SUNSATION, THE 31 SONIC, OR THE 32 ACTIVE.

THE ONE THING I AM DOING IS HEADING TO THE 2003 MIAMI BOAT SHOW IN FEBRUARY. THERE MABY I CAN POSSIBLY SEE ALL THREE. I HAVE ALREADY CONTACTED DAVE FROM SUNSATION AND HE IS SETTING UP FOR A 32 DOMINATOR AND A 32 INNOVATOR TO BE IN THE WATER THERE. AS FAR AS SONIC THEY SHOULD BE THERE BECAUSE THEY ARE LOCATED IN FT. LAUDERDALE. ACTIVE I DO NOT KNOW YET.

SORRY I COULDN'T GIVE YOU TO MUCH INSIGHT BUT IF YOU DECIDE GO TO MIAMI LET ME KNOW. WE CAN CHECK THEM ALL OUT.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

My vote would be for the Sonic! However if your doing flatwater and not worried about ocean seas, the Sunsation will give you better performance. 31' Sonic cabin is also roomier. 31' Sonic would probably be easier to move since "in my opinion" buyers in the salt areas would want a better ride. We're buying in that same range soon as I move my 26'. Been on both boats and are going in the direction of Sonic. Cabin and ride are big factors, but love the look of the sunsation. Sunsation cabin head under the berth killed the boat for us. Easy bow access on the Sonic is fabulous. Ride of Sonic is fabulous. Both manufacturers are great, can't say one is better than the other. I believe they are both on the top of their game.... Sonic has something up their sleeve for Miami boat show.... trying to figure it out... I was at Annapolis show this weekend and he said we should come back down for a big surprise... that was it... hmmmm Got me thinking..... Always love the Miami boat show!!!! Good luck... We're going to Kent Isand Md this coming weekend for Sonic Demo weekend....
Old 10-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Registered

Im loyal to Bajas and I AGREE WITH YOU ON THE BAD WORKMANSHIP!!! It seems like you are set on a V hull, what is so bad about a cat?
Old 10-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Registered

I recently picked up a 99 '33 Outlaw (my 3rd Baja) with HP500s for $105K. No fit and finish poblems. Boat runs around 75 all day in most any kind of water. Full cabin (fridge, stove, etc.)

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Same old question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.