Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Boyne Thunder The World’s Best Poker Run? >

Is Boyne Thunder The World’s Best Poker Run?

Notices

Is Boyne Thunder The World’s Best Poker Run?

Old 12-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Nice article. Would love to do Boyne some time.

Matt, hope you are not putting water or ice in that Scotch. If you run out....Try some 12 or 15 year old Red Breast Irish Whiskey. Cask strength If you can find it.

Padraig
Sadly, my friend, I do enjoy a cube of ice in my scotch. I suppose that's a concession to age.

On the other hand, I'm in no danger of running out of 15-year-old Glenlivet. I would never let that happen as you never know when a good friend from, say, Western New York, might drop by.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 32fever
I think it once was. However, it's my opinion it has become greedy. You can get a slip if you throw big bucks at it, but if you were there supporting the poker run since the beginning you have to fight to get a spot many times. I like the fact that any organized event takes care of those that took care of them from the beginning, not the big bucks rolling in late to try to play with the cool kids. I've been fortunate enough to be a guest at this run for many years, but recently folks I went with stopped going. Granted, there is limited dock space, but it has become a different environment than it used to be, in my opinion.

It's also a fairly long run in the beginning portion and then typically fairly short after the lunch stop. I loved it a lot the first 4 years or so, other than the Sommerset pointe stop was a little odd. Was too soon after lunch and they were not really set up to handle that many people and the members aren't really "go fast people", although we met some nice local folks still. The dinner is the best dinner you can get just about anywhere. 5 star restaurant be jealous. If the water is right, any run is a good run on Lake MI. That's fun with any group of go fasters. Although, I enjoy seeing the 31 Sonics, 35 Fountains, 32 Sunsations, etc. all enjoying a run and hate to see the regular folks get pushed out to another brand new Nortech, Skater or Outerlimits, etc. I never did Smoke the Water back in the day because it was so much more expensive than other runs. They obviously wanted a certain group of folks to be in that run. I think Boyne is starting to go that same route. That's when it's not fun for the "common folk" anymore. Someone that has gone for the first 2,3,4,5, etc. years should not have to worry about registering and getting slips, etc. The hand that fed you before should be honored again. Just my $.02.
I can see where you are coming from on some of this, but I disagree that the event or town are becoming greedy. I've spent every summer of my life in northern Michigan. Boyne has always been exactly how it's is today. Really warm and friendly with that nice small town feel. This event gives a ton of money to Camp Quality and Challenge Mountain. And some of the hardware is high end, but plenty of people participate in older cigs, bajas, all kinds of cool stuff that isn't outrageous. I think that this run has more down to earth fun loving everyday people at it than any other run.

See you on the water!
Tom
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,605 Likes on 3,769 Posts

This is year 5 for me shooting it, hanging out up there for a few days prior and a few days after is awesome. The towns people are friendly, and one of the best restaurant s is the Barrel Back on Walloon lake . Awesome wings, and great beer! Make the long trip worth it every time!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
This is year 5 for me shooting it, hanging out up there for a few days prior and a few days after is awesome. The towns people are friendly, and one of the best restaurant s is the Barrel Back on Walloon lake . Awesome wings, and great beer! Make the long trip worth it every time!
Hey Pete, my place is on Walloon. Let's grab dinner at the barrel back and then cruise the lake! Have a few beers on the dock! Have you ever been on the lake?

Tom
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
I can see where you are coming from on some of this, but I disagree that the event or town are becoming greedy. I've spent every summer of my life in northern Michigan. Boyne has always been exactly how it's is today. Really warm and friendly with that nice small town feel. This event gives a ton of money to Camp Quality and Challenge Mountain. And some of the hardware is high end, but plenty of people participate in older cigs, bajas, all kinds of cool stuff that isn't outrageous. I think that this run has more down to earth fun loving everyday people at it than any other run.

See you on the water!
Tom
Tom...I'm not saying anything about the town, it's a great town. It's much like many Michigan towns that are equally as great. Curious what boat you had before your current one, and if you have gone to Boyne since the early years. If you just starting going in the last few years, your Mystic probably took a slip that once belonged to a person, say, with a 35 Fountain for example. But the organizers want that boat to be in the docks to bring in the crowds. I'm not going to argue, I loved watching it come in the first year I saw it in the run personally in the early darkness as the sun went down. That was maybe 2013 or 14? And that is why they want you guys there. But if someone wants to bring in a brand spankin' new 44 MTI next year, they'll potentially boot someone else for that person to get good crowd viewing slip space. That's where I mean greedy. Maybe greedy is too strong of a term. But the guy in the 29' Baja that may have gone for 12 years straight, now has to drop off the trailer that morning because his slip is gone.

I'm also not denying the cause. It is a great cause. It just rubs people the wrong way that have been going for years, and it becomes more successful and then the perspective is that the bigger money and more bling and flash is what is cared about more than the more local folks that supported the cause for years before.

I see how it happens, but if you have only owned above average machinery, you've never experienced the feelings others do.

I hope the poker run continues for years to come and raises a lot of money for Camp Quality. I've personally just been turned off enough to search for other things to do that weekend, rather than blocking out my schedule to go to Boyne, which I did for I think 7 or maybe 8 years in a row, but I haven't been in a couple years now due to just not feeling the same.

On the other side of that coin, I see that bringing in more money just helps the charities more, and who can argue with that? I miss seeing the excitement in the videos when the kids get rides and get to enjoy their portion of the entire event. That's the greatest part of the event, in my opinion.

I'm just being candid, mostly because I see concern in that many people are not inspired to return. I hope it continues stronger than ever and I'm just clueless.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,605 Likes on 3,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
Hey Pete, my place is on Walloon. Let's grab dinner at the barrel back and then cruise the lake! Have a few beers on the dock! Have you ever been on the lake?

Tom
Never been on the lake, been all round it via guide tour from Bob Mathers. Looking forward to 2018 up there.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Registered

Tom...I'm not saying anything about the town, it's a great town. It's much like many Michigan towns that are equally as great. Curious what boat you had before your current one, and if you have gone to Boyne since the early years. If you just starting going in the last few years, your Mystic probably took a slip that once belonged to a person, say, with a 35 Fountain for example. But the organizers want that boat to be in the docks to bring in the crowds. I'm not going to argue, I loved watching it come in the first year I saw it in the run personally in the early darkness as the sun went down. That was maybe 2013 or 14? And that is why they want you guys there. But if someone wants to bring in a brand spankin' new 44 MTI next year, they'll potentially boot someone else for that person to get good crowd viewing slip space. That's where I mean greedy. Maybe greedy is too strong of a term. But the guy in the 29' Baja that may have gone for 12 years straight, now has to drop off the trailer that morning because his slip is gone.

I'm also not denying the cause. It is a great cause. It just rubs people the wrong way that have been going for years, and it becomes more successful and then the perspective is that the bigger money and more bling and flash is what is cared about more than the more local folks that supported the cause for years before.

I see how it happens, but if you have only owned above average machinery, you've never experienced the feelings others do.

I hope the poker run continues for years to come and raises a lot of money for Camp Quality. I've personally just been turned off enough to search for other things to do that weekend, rather than blocking out my schedule to go to Boyne, which I did for I think 7 or maybe 8 years in a row, but I haven't been in a couple years now due to just not feeling the same.

On the other side of that coin, I see that bringing in more money just helps the charities more, and who can argue with that? I miss seeing the excitement in the videos when the kids get rides and get to enjoy their portion of the entire event. That's the greatest part of the event, in my opinion.

I'm just being candid, mostly because I see concern in that many people are not inspired to return. I hope it continues stronger than ever and I'm just clueless.
Ive been involved for a long time. My first time running it was in a cobalt and it was the roughest I've ever seen it. Lickity Split and Ice man ran balls out from harbor springs to bay harbor. It was an amazing thing to see. Just awesome!

My first performance boat was a 22 donzi. I never ran it in BT. I bought my 40 skater, and then built the pleasure Mystic with Boat Customs and then sold lickity split and the pleasure mystic and bought my turbine boat. Even the years I didn't run, I'm still there to support the event.

So, no, i didn't take somebody else's spot, I just signed up and ran. And when I couldn't run, I gave my slip to other people.

anyway, not trying to start an argument. I'm just passionate about the run and the people in charge are doing the best they can.

Tom
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have never seen someone get "bumped" for a fancier boat... I have seen them go thru great efforts to get everybody in the water and tied up so they dont have to drop in.....
Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

I think it once was. However, it's my opinion it has become greedy. You can get a slip if you throw big bucks at it, but if you were there supporting the poker run since the beginning you have to fight to get a spot many times. I like the fact that any organized event takes care of those that took care of them from the beginning, not the big bucks rolling in late to try to play with the cool kids. I've been fortunate enough to be a guest at this run for many years, but recently folks I went with stopped going. Granted, there is limited dock space, but it has become a different environment than it used to be, in my opinion.

It's also a fairly long run in the beginning portion and then typically fairly short after the lunch stop. I loved it a lot the first 4 years or so, other than the Sommerset pointe stop was a little odd. Was too soon after lunch and they were not really set up to handle that many people and the members aren't really "go fast people", although we met some nice local folks still. The dinner is the best dinner you can get just about anywhere. 5 star restaurant be jealous. If the water is right, any run is a good run on Lake MI. That's fun with any group of go fasters. Although, I enjoy seeing the 31 Sonics, 35 Fountains, 32 Sunsations, etc. all enjoying a run and hate to see the regular folks get pushed out to another brand new Nortech, Skater or Outerlimits, etc. I never did Smoke the Water back in the day because it was so much more expensive than other runs. They obviously wanted a certain group of folks to be in that run. I think Boyne is starting to go that same route. That's when it's not fun for the "common folk" anymore. Someone that has gone for the first 2,3,4,5, etc. years should not have to worry about registering and getting slips, etc. The hand that fed you before should be honored again. Just my $.02.
Without having experienced Boyne Thunder more than once, I appreciate your perspective and understand your frustration, I just struggle with the use of the word "greedy" in any reference to the event or its organizers or the city itself.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

The only way anyone gets "bumped" per say is if more people sponsor the event which guarantees you a slip. Then the rest of the past participants fight over the remaining slips.

The water, scenery and town is top notch.