Notices

Winter towing....

Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Tyson's pics would make a helluva Christmas card for Peter next year,.....(how many times has a skater seen snow let alone a 50 on a tilt?)

Awesome rig!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I have made it across Kansas, through part of Colorado, and now in the mountains in Wyoming. Trailer is still mostly black, except for the snow on it. Hopefully when I get up in the morning the trailer has not rusted away.
have to ask how the lateral weight balance and COG is running down the road like that?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The way it is tilted makes me think that one side of the trailer is already gone!
Yep. One side already rusted away and boat is in danger of sliding off trailer!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Leaving laramie wyoming towards Salt lake city. The trailer is still black and did not rust away over night which is good because it would probably be hard to find a trailer for a 50' skater in wyoming. It snowed over night so the roads will be covered in salt. It will be warm enough that it will be slush getting thrown all over the boat and trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Winter towing....-4.jpg   Winter towing....-5.jpg  
Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tyson's gonna need a lot more WD-40 or Fluid Film than me. Like, industrial size bottles.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Registered

The roads were a little dryer then I thought they would be so it defiantly did not get as bad as it could have. The trailer pulled a Michael Jackson on us and turned grey from black. #blacktrailersmatter.

Note: the ceramic pro coating made the boat slick enough that the dirt pretty much blew off it while I was running. I think I will put it on the trailer when I get home. (shameless plug, #sendmesomematerialformytrailer)
Attached Thumbnails Winter towing....-6.jpg   Winter towing....-7.jpg   Winter towing....-8.jpg  

Winter towing....-9.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-01-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Registered

When I was driving towards SLC I started calling truck washes to see if anyone would be open, There was only one that was open and it was going to close at 4 pm and not open till tuesday. It was 9:36 am and my gps said I was 6 hours away. I ask them if they were going to stop washing at 4 or stop the line from adding up at 4. They said if I was in line by 4 that they would wash it. Keep in mind the gps is figuring on speed you would run in a car, not a Freighliner hauling a big boat through the mountains. So I started driving as fast as I could knowing it would slow down going up hills and I would have to make up that time going down hills. I did not stop for lunch, pulled into one truck stop and put in a little fuel as quick as I could to make sure I would make it. While I was driving I called everywhere trying to find a manual car wash that a semi would fit in and could not find anywhere to wash it if I did not make it in time. I ended up calling a guy that I have never met that lives in SLC that is having a new Skater built and was asking him if he knew of any car washes it would fit in. He said there were not any but to just bring it to his house and he has warm water hose hookup and brushes, boat soap, ect. . He said he likes cleaning boats and that he would help me wash it. So I kept trying to make it to the truck wash so we would not have to spend new years eve in the cold washing the boat.

After some pretty insane driving I make it to the truck wash at 3:48 pm and they had yellow caution tape across the entrance and closed signs in the driveway. I went in and talked to them and they said they had told me that so to go ahead and pull around. They washed it and I gave each of the guys in there a tip for staying. They did a good job on the truck (because thats what they do) but did not get the trailer and boat as good as I wanted so I headed over to the Guy that is building a new Skaters house to touch up the trailer and make sure I get the tilt mechanism and air bag suspension system and leveling brackets good because it would be bad if that stuff rusted. When I get there he has hoses strung out to the street a wash bucket with soap and water and brushes ready. He starts scrubbing the trailer and I was following him rinsing it. He is laying on the ground scrubbing the bottom of the trailer and axles, ect. ( keep in mind I have never met him before and its cold and dark out on new years eve, this is what Skater guys do for people) We got it all washed and it looks new again. The trailer is still black again and did not rust away. So to the original question in the post, yes you can haul in the winter, just clean it good when you stop.
Attached Thumbnails Winter towing....-15.jpg   Winter towing....-16.jpg   Winter towing....-17.jpg  

Winter towing....-18.jpg   Winter towing....-10.jpg   Winter towing....-11.jpg  

Winter towing....-12.jpg   Winter towing....-13.jpg   Winter towing....-14.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

When I was driving towards SLC I started calling truck washes to see if anyone would be open, There was only one that was open and it was going to close at 4 pm and not open till tuesday. It was 9:36 am and my gps said I was 6 hours away. I ask them if they were going to stop washing at 4 or stop the line from adding up at 4. They said if I was in line by 4 that they would wash it. Keep in mind the gps is figuring on speed you would run in a car, not a Freighliner hauling a big boat through the mountains. So I started driving as fast as I could knowing it would slow down going up hills and I would have to make up that time going down hills. I did not stop for lunch, pulled into one truck stop and put in a little fuel as quick as I could to make sure I would make it. While I was driving I called everywhere trying to find a manual car wash that a semi would fit in and could not find anywhere to wash it if I did not make it in time. I ended up calling a guy that I have never met that lives in SLC that is having a new Skater built and was asking him if he knew of any car washes it would fit in. He said there were not any but to just bring it to his house and he has warm water hose hookup and brushes, boat soap, ect. . He said he likes cleaning boats and that he would help me wash it. So I kept trying to make it to the truck wash so we would not have to spend new years eve in the cold washing the boat.

After some pretty insane driving I make it to the truck wash at 3:48 pm and they had yellow caution tape across the entrance and closed signs in the driveway. I went in and talked to them and they said they had told me that so to go ahead and pull around. They washed it and I gave each of the guys in there a tip for staying. They did a good job on the truck (because thats what they do) but did not get the trailer and boat as good as I wanted so I headed over to the Guy that is building a new Skaters house to touch up the trailer and make sure I get the tilt mechanism and air bag suspension system and leveling brackets good because it would be bad if that stuff rusted. When I get there he has hoses strung out to the street a wash bucket with soap and water and brushes ready. He starts scrubbing the trailer and I was following him rinsing it. He is laying on the ground scrubbing the bottom of the trailer and axles, ect. ( keep in mind I have never met him before and its cold and dark out on new years eve, this is what Skater guys do for people) We got it all washed and it looks new again. The trailer is still black again and did not rust away. So to the original question in the post, yes you can haul in the winter, just clean it good when you stop.
Glad you made it safe and sound. Since I've been the primary nay sayer in this whole thread, let me continue. Please come back in a year or two and tell me there's no rust on that beautiful trailer. Oh, and I love the boat too!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

When I get there he has hoses strung out to the street a wash bucket with soap and water and brushes ready. He starts scrubbing the trailer and I was following him rinsing it. He is laying on the ground scrubbing the bottom of the trailer and axles, ect. ( keep in mind I have never met him before and its cold and dark out on new years eve, this is what Skater guys do for people) We got it all washed and it looks new again. The trailer is still black again and did not rust away. So to the original question in the post, yes you can haul in the winter, just clean it good when you stop.
That is a helluva statment to the SKATER nation brethren! Great story...

FWIW - Fluid FIlm from a gallon/5 gallon can in a pressure sprayer makes quick work of the running rear on a trailer or under the pull truck

Last edited by speicher lane; 01-01-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 AM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.