Notices

Best lakes to boat

Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Lake Keowee in South Carolina is beautiful.
WOW! That is beautiful!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Two of our favorites:
Lake Norman, NC, just north of Charlotte
--several good restaurants/hot spots on the lake, sizable lake, LOTS of nice houses to look at (lots of NASCAR money in the area)
--book a house via VRBO.com to stay on the lake

Smith Mountain Lake, VA, western part of the state, near Roanoke
--movie "What About Bob" was filmed there, GREAT scenery, several good restaurants/hot spots; lake was made by adding a dam in the mountains, 200 feet deep in places...
--sometimes called "Lake Tahoe of the East"
--book a condo at marinerslanding.com to stay on the lake or VRBO, but some counties on the lake disallow short term rentals (Southerners that hate Yankees, yeah really)
--plenty of moonshine in the area as that's where some of the 'fake-reality TV shows' on the topic are filmed; shows are fake but the moonshine is GOOOOOOOD
Lake Norman has really good hot spots on the Lake.

I went to Smith Mountain 2 summers ago and I wasn't a big fan. !st off, getting there with a boat in tow is no treat! Narrow, winding roads thru the mountains with signs that recommend against RVs and Trailers. But i felt the lake was kinda "dead" as far as hot spots.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be a bit biased but my recommendations are as followed:

Lake Erie Islands (west side) - many different attractions including monuments, glacier grooves, Cedar Point amusement park; oh and the ever so popular and fun Put In Bay. Plenty of marinas or hotels to overnight and just a great "island" atmosphere to be found.

Lake Cumberland - I really enjoy this lake; warm water, beautiful scenery, waterfalls etc. There is also a large "power boat" presence when walking the docks/rafting up. One of my top picks for a houseboat destination also.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
Lake Norman has really good hot spots on the Lake.

I went to Smith Mountain 2 summers ago and I wasn't a big fan. !st off, getting there with a boat in tow is no treat! Narrow, winding roads thru the mountains with signs that recommend against RVs and Trailers. But i felt the lake was kinda "dead" as far as hot spots.
If you strictly follow the GPS, yes you will end up on a few goat trails, depending on where you are going on the lake. It is Smith MOUNTAIN Lake after all. But it is a sleepy lake, at times, which is why we like it.

Taken in 2006 on Smith Mountain Lake, VA:
Attached Thumbnails Best lakes to boat-206289_1011673492838_2448_n%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

If you strictly follow the GPS, yes you will end up on a few goat trails, depending on where you are going on the lake. It is Smith MOUNTAIN Lake after all. But it is a sleepy lake, at times, which is why we like it.

Are those Baja's? Nice shot!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool photo! We followed the GPS and when with hit the road that said "RVs and Trailers not recommended", I think my wife was so puckered she couldn't breathe!! LOL It certainly does have beautiful warm water and great scenery.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by waynepaul
We are LOTO boaters but thinking about trying some new lakes this summer..
Any advice or pictures on great Lakes to try?
Try Lake Cumberland. Same size as LOTO but water is clean and your boat doesn't get destroyed by cruisers plowing at 20 knots 50 yards from boat docks.
You'll love how clear the water is. June thru September is a great time to visit.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

My personal favorite is Dale Hollow, but it’s a quiet place. Not really somewhere to go if you are looking for action. Great place for water sports.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
My personal favorite is Dale Hollow, but it’s a quiet place. Not really somewhere to go if you are looking for action. Great place for water sports.
No Dale is terrible, need to go to Cumberland wink, wink
Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Lake Champlain nestled between the high peaks of the Adirondacks and Vermont offers a lot. Although not a lake, the St Lawrence Seaway and the 1000 Islands is by far one of the most unique and scenic waterways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.