Notices

Fuel Injector Maintenance

Old 01-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Maintenance

Happy New Year!!

While installing my new Raylar 80mm Intake I had the fuel rails off. Thought maybe I should have the injectors cleaned/tested while off. Asked myself how dirty could they be? I only run Top Tier Exxon fuel, Techron injector cleaner, change filters every season. 06' 496HO runs Great!
I contacted BUP here on the forum. He's an asset to this forum with the amount of free info he posts to help others. I chose BUP as he goes above and beyond vs others that give you a piece of paper showing your results. You get new micro basket filters, orings and videos showing your injectors being cleaned and flow/volume tested. Can't say enough good things about my experience.

I'm sooo lucky I had him check them!!! The basket filters were dirty and full of paint from the Mercury Gen 3 cool fuel box. 2 injectors baskets were nearly plugged with paint/dirt. BUP advised checked those 2 cylinders as they were not getting the fuel as necessary. After a thorough cleaning, new filters, orings etc, they are good as new!

I am going to open up the cool fuel box and remove all internal paint. Also going to replace original rubber fuel line from tank to cool fuel. Everything else is hard line and has been cleaned including the fuel rails.

Just passing along an eye opening experience for me! Other FI owners should really consider this. Especially 496 owners!!

Notice the paint flakes in the pics. This is only a small portion. The videos about made me puke. The basket filters should be white when new.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been here for a while and over the years there's been a few really good guys who are /were in the know but you don't see them around too much any more .
BUP has definitely taken up the slack and I always try to find any threads that he's posted on . In fact I plan on asking him a few questions at some point myself .
Good to hear that you're pleased and it all turned out well for you . And thank you BUP
Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I need to pull mine and send to Bup early spring when the shrink wrap comes off. Was going to do itt last spring but put it off.

Padraig
Old 01-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great heads up on this... thank you! I'm a tick over 600hrs and you have my attention.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I too used BUP for my injector cleaning. It was a very enlightening experience to say the least and I have learned a ton from him!! I would have for sure burned down my fresh engines if I would have left the injectors alone...period. Anybody that "assumes" their injectors are fine is DEAD WRONG. I have 502 MPI GEN V's and 370 hours which is nothing for these engines. The previous owner also maintained the boat as most would normally do (stored indoors, serviced regularly, open checkbook, blah, blah, blah) but this still happened. I was going to take my injectors locally to "the place" everyone in the area recommends and after speaking to BUP I am sure glad I didn't. I can 100% say that I would not have gotten the level of service to my injectors as I did with BUP anywhere else. They would have made a few passes in the cleaning solution and called it a day not to mention I was given a whole bunch of misinformation about the process by the other shop. BUP provided pictures and video proof of the issues they had throughout their servicing. I about $%*& my pants when I saw it all!! They were horrible and he took above and beyond (he can comment on that lol) the time to make them 100% again. Anyways, I would recommend BUP to anyone, his level of service and communication is among the best I have dealt with and he is a wealth of information. I'm not kidding when I say he probably has forgotten more than a lot of us combined will ever know about marine maintenance, repair and parts. He has been lifesaver in more than a few areas throughout my journey and I for one am thankful to have him in my corner. It's a gift to us all that professionals like him take the time they do to help us all out on the forums here.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

I also used BUP to clean my injectors last year. He absolutely goes above and beyond!!!! I am about to send him the injectors off my street car while I am freshing up the engine over the winter just for a piece of mind.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I also used BUP to clean my injectors last year. He absolutely goes above and beyond!!!! I am about to send him the injectors off my street car while I am freshing up the engine over the winter just for a piece of mind.
Atleast they won't be full of f'n Merc overspray !
Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Atleast they won't be full of f'n Merc overspray !
I sure hope not!!!! Lol These cost more than merc injectors if you can believe that!!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Happy NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Thanks a million to everyone that has posted this up here. Actually I am kind of shocked that a post was even started about this. But seriously grateful. Really what comes with me is phone number and its always open when one does business with me not matter how big or small. Does not matter. I have said this in the past up here.

I would rather see boaters across the board have less issues because it keeps boaters in boating. As Marine dealers believe it or not, some of us selected dealers have said this many many years ago.

Fuel injector maintenance is basically per say currently part of a tune up and or a fuel maintenance program. I am going on 9 straight years providing this service and without a doubt can honestly say it is needed for the marine side of the coin. Can say this without hesitation.

Thanks for all the good words up here on OSO.

Last edited by BUP; 01-02-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Yes you have the ID's in your drag car and I have actually tested some sets of ID's in marine apps. Actually have talked to one of the owners of ID in person about once per year for the past 5 years. Even sat in a couple of his seminars as well. He is a wealth of info about injectors and fuel related topics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.