Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 maintenance in the Spring >

496 maintenance in the Spring

Notices

496 maintenance in the Spring

Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the module out of the boat and the paint looks new under the cover, filters definitely need to be changed, found a bumble bee in there as well. However 3 out of 6 of the bolts broke off getting the cover off. Dissimilar metals make lots of corrosion in the threads. Also going to see if I can tap the raw water inlets and put some threaded hose fittings in.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersj
Got the module out of the boat and the paint looks new under the cover, filters definitely need to be changed, found a bumble bee in there as well. However 3 out of 6 of the bolts broke off getting the cover off. Dissimilar metals make lots of corrosion in the threads. Also going to see if I can tap the raw water inlets and put some threaded hose fittings in.
Mine also looked pretty good. Just one spot in the fuel pump side that looked to have bubbled a tad. I also broke a few getting the cover off. Should not have a problem tapping the housing. I am going to strip all internal paint and reassemble.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

back side metal fuel line in the cool fuel needs a new quad ring for reinstallment - if not -- using the old quad ring -- the chances of leaking fuel is prob 60 / 40 that it will,

Also the rubber heat sleeve needs to cover that whole section of that metal fuel line (again back side of the cool fuel ) .

the special screw on the side section of the cool fuel -- the fuel line section is what holds the fuel line in place.

Last edited by BUP; 01-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 PM
BUP
Banned

anti seize on the bolts and nuts especially for the bolts -- lift basket cool fuel.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 PM
BUP
Banned

the past 5 years the newer cool fuel gen III has a front lower side blue plastic drain plug. ( finally) actually this is how all the water gets drained out of the cool fuel -- hence why merc finally got it right and decided on that design.

this is the 4 gen design of the gen III cool fuel. The last one I did --- did not have paint internally.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Registered

Right on all good info and yeah definitely going to use some anti seize. I think I will strip the paint out of mine as well even though it looks good. I'm still going to pull the fuel rails to look for corrosion. What about the regulator does that see corrosion as well? I have been looking for a service manual and can only find them for serial numbers that start with OM.....
mine starts with a 1A
Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 PM
BUP
Banned

Many make that mistake about the regulator on the fuel rail . It was never a regulator --- its a fuel dampner. The regulatar is in and a section of it --- is on top of the GEN 3 cool fuel. On the gen 2 cool fuel the regulator is mounted to the water / fuel cooler.

The fuel dampner NEEDS to be very clean as well. The rails need to be spotless internally. Most saltwater boat apps - the injectors I see are contaminated internally with a form a corrosion collected internally of the injector and the micro basket filters are as well. . Aluminum oxide and so on. The 496 can be the worst at times and with paint from the gen 3 cool fuel internally. This is one of the reason why I get so many 496 injectors - I prob in the heart of boating season get 50 percent injectors are from a 496's. Merc and Volvo.

50 to 60 percent come from other dealers whom are their customers. They do not want to get into that end of the business flow testing and cleaning injectors. Its time consuming if one does that service fully and double checks everything plus maintaining the machines as well.

KEEP IN MIND with filtration including the internally basket filters for the injectors - its a fine line between filtering and flow - one can not have 100 percent filtration because that restricts flow - and one can not have 100 percent flow because that really offers not good filtration. So you have to have a happy balance of the 2. Flow and filtration.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I recommend owning and carrying a Rinda Technologies Inc. Marine and Industrial Engine Diagnostic Tools scanner for these engines. It's the best way to ensure that a $50 sensor doesn't ruin a month of boating for you in the middle of July waiting for a tech to see you & your boat.
^^ This. I choose to use Diacom software, but the point is the same.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Registered

Ok is that dampner something that can be taken out and cleaned? And I plan on buying a scanner of some sort but need to address the major this first. How much pressure is in the fuel pump cavity? I took the module to a machine shop and could not get the broken bolts out...they are in good...welded nuts on the ends and kept twisting off. Wondering if I make it work with the ones left...not ideal but just want to get it running for now
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Registered

I have got the boat started on the hose but have not had it in the water yet, had a problem getting the fuel system primed but eventually got it with an outboard motor squeeze ball line to force it through the system....still waiting to get my interior back from the upholstery shop as well. But did hook the engine up to a computer. It showed that it had 100% power available, but 4 active codes came up.
91 pitot pressure low which i believe is common, 131 trim sensor circuit low, 75 fuel level 1 circuit high, and 191 fuel level 2 circuit high. Are they all normal codes or should I be concerned about any of them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.