Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baret Jackson Steal (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/351886-baret-jackson-steal.html)

speicher lane 01-20-2018 08:09 PM

Baret Jackson Steal

The 2015 Black 52 MTI Pressure makes Diamonds just hammered for $500K with the 2 spare QC4V engines

Nicely bought - congrats to whomever

pslonaker 01-20-2018 08:34 PM

At that price I would assume the owner had someone there to pay that amount so that the boat did not sell that cheap. Just my thought from being at auctions that have items on no reserve and don't bring enough money.

boatfreak 01-20-2018 11:50 PM

Yeah I would agree with that. I just got home from spending the week there and all I can say is WOW.

Hustler40 01-21-2018 07:19 AM

If the owner bought it back he would have to pay Uncle Craig both sides commissions buyer and sellers. That is $90,000. Plus what it cost to transport and run across block. Puts it around 100k in costs to do a buy back. Either way no reserve is a gamble.

Jupiter Sunsation 01-21-2018 09:53 AM

It's called a "shill bidder"......since it is a boat, BJ might have worked out something with the seller on the fees/strategy.

Auctions are ripe for shenanagans!

I watched some of the cars, didn't see a "steal" among them. I have no idea why a buyer would ever want to buy anything with a structure like that. Everyone is quick to complain about a car dealer or a dealer fee of a few hundred but to start bidding against the guy across the room to be the high bidder in a circus like environment then pay the auction fees is crazy!

90% of the cars are just used cars, the internet can locate duplicates anywhere in the country. The contractor that sold 15+ cars from the 78 Pace Car Vette to the 2018 McLaren (didn't meet reserve) was getting over retail money for nice exotic cars but certainly nothing rare. He sold a 458 Speciale Ferrari......there are a dozen of them on ebay right now from 265-429K (cheap one is repaired salvage). His sold for 400K....+10% = 440K....you can buy the same car from an authorized Ferrari dealer for less! Add transport costs (which I'm sure are a premium for this event) and then the hassle/costs of attending.

Sure the other 10% of the cars they offer are one off or rare but the majority is not.

f_inscreenname 01-21-2018 10:05 AM

I never watched it on TV and said to myself, man that was a great deal.

Unlimited jd 01-21-2018 10:57 AM

The people buying cars there do it for the experience, and don't care about a 15-20k price difference. A friend of mine has bought 8 or so cars at b-j and lost as much as 30k in a year. Still goes back and buys more. He went to Scottsdale hoping to get an h1 hummer.

Bostonirish 01-21-2018 10:57 AM

Is there a story as to why it went to auction to begin with?

F-2 Speedy 01-21-2018 11:30 AM

I like the Mecum auctions the best ( The deal maker ) Dana will lower the commission % to get the deal done.

open87 01-21-2018 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname (Post 4605986)
I never watched it on TV and said to myself, man that was a great deal.

I did see a convertible Silver Benz ,twin turbo I believe ,that sold for like 26K , new was low 100's. Car looked brand new.That was quite a few years back , ..

Jupiter Sunsation 01-22-2018 08:06 AM

3 more insane prices last night (replay of the final day sales)

1993 Mustang 5.0 conv- less than 400 miles sold for $49,000!
1991 Camaro 5.7 coupe- less than 500 miles sold for 33K
2004 ZO6- 14 miles sold for 45K

None are irreplaceable, all are essentially museum cars. All seemed like the bidders were drunk and were buying with other people's money! Being all were last year of their production runs, I suspect there are plenty of them being hoarded away in warehouses.

Worst part: Now every craiglist seller will be quoting the high prices paid at BJ when they are trying to sell their tired beater of the same vintage!

Jupiter Sunsation 01-22-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Open72 (Post 4606003)
I did see a convertible Silver Benz ,twin turbo I believe ,that sold for like 26K , new was low 100's. Car looked brand new.That was quite a few years back , ..

Real common, look up a Mercedes SL65/CL65/S65......200K cars new, you can find them regularly for 25-40K 10 years later. The maintenance can be brutal especially for anyone paying dealer rates of $140+ an hour. Even perfect condition, great history cars in good color combos struggle to get 25% of MSRP back.

payuppsucker 01-22-2018 08:13 AM

A buddy of mine was there. He said the boat was not in very good shape. Still a bargain.

luke81 01-22-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4606087)
Real common, look up a Mercedes SL65/CL65/S65......200K cars new, you can find them regularly for 25-40K 10 years later. The maintenance can be brutal especially for anyone paying dealer rates of $140+ an hour. Even perfect condition, great history cars in good color combos struggle to get 25% of MSRP back.

That's putting it very nicely. Many of those cars are total junk once they run out of warranty. I've had dozens and dozens of them come through my shop. A guy at the other end of my complex makes a killing buying these cars cheap at the dealer auction (because most dealers don't want the headache) then flipping them on buy-here-pay-here to wannabe ballers.
About half of these convertible benz's you see on the street have the top permanently up because the mechanism fails very often and it can touch 5 figures to fix it! Electrical gremlins are super common....they're just a nightmare to own.

Jupiter Sunsation 01-22-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by luke81 (Post 4606095)
That's putting it very nicely. Many of those cars are total junk once they run out of warranty. I've had dozens and dozens of them come through my shop. A guy at the other end of my complex makes a killing buying these cars cheap at the dealer auction (because most dealers don't want the headache) then flipping them on buy-here-pay-here to wannabe ballers.
About half of these convertible benz's you see on the street have the top permanently up because the mechanism fails very often and it can touch 5 figures to fix it! Electrical gremlins are super common....they're just a nightmare to own.

My buddy was a Benz service writer for years........The R class, the G class and anything AMG was gold in the service lane! They got 5-6K for brake jobs on AMG stuff!

Only thing he despised......flood cars! The motors (hydrolocked) or badly flooded electronics = totaled by insurance company almost instantly. An AMG motor can be 50-70K (hand built, special order) so if a big Benz gets wet then the insurance pays 3 hours tech time to diagnose and totals the car. Ins. company makes out selling parts off the car, customer is thrilled as they get a new car and he makes hardly anything!

Wildman_grafix 01-22-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by luke81 (Post 4606095)

Man you know it, we had a SLK AMG, top issues, blower issues, etc. After that thing was out of warranty it seemed like a couple grand every other month.

Screw that.

neva satisfied 01-22-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by payuppsucker (Post 4606088)
A buddy of mine was there. He said the boat was not in very good shape. Still a bargain.

I would love to know what is considered "not in very good shape" on a boat of this level? Did it have a ton of dock rash and such or was it just dirty and neglected? I remember when I saw this boat in person a few years ago and I mentioned to the people I was with how I thought this thing would be a huge undertaking to keep in pristine condition. A black car is hard enough...A black boat is crazy.

Gunrunner72 01-22-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4606085)

None are irreplaceable, all are essentially museum cars. All seemed like the bidders were drunk and were buying with other people's money! Being all were last year of their production runs, I suspect there are plenty of them being hoarded away in warehouses.

Worst part: Now every craiglist seller will be quoting the high prices paid at BJ when they are trying to sell their tired beater of the same vintage!

Ain't that the truth about craigslist/autotrader listings!!! I was toying with the idea of buying a clean C5 ZO6 in the 20-30k mile range but they're already starting to go the wrong way in price.
It was blowing my mind what some of the later model cars were going for. I couldn't help but think "more money than sense" a couple of times.

payuppsucker 01-22-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by neva satisfied (Post 4606118)
I would love to know what is considered "not in very good shape" on a boat of this level? Did it have a ton of dock rash and such or was it just dirty and neglected? I remember when I saw this boat in person a few years ago and I mentioned to the people I was with how I thought this thing would be a huge undertaking to keep in pristine condition. A black car is hard enough...A black boat is crazy.

Dock rash was one thing he mentioned. He also said it looked like it had been patched up. Possible Hurricane recovery? I'm just passing along the info I was given.

racinfast002 01-22-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by payuppsucker (Post 4606151)
Dock rash was one thing he mentioned. He also said it looked like it had been patched up. Possible Hurricane recovery? I'm just passing along the info I was given.

Hurricane? haha no that thing sits indoors its entire life unless its in the water and running. I can assure it you it wasn't damaged in a hurricane.

Edit: as far as dock rash, I would imagine that's impossible to avoid on a black boat. That's why they are usually white.

ben 01-22-2018 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4606085)

Note to self, buy a new mustang and store it for 25 years.

payuppsucker 01-22-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by racinfast002 (Post 4606153)
Hurricane? haha no that thing sits indoors its entire life unless its in the water and running. I can assure it you it wasn't damaged in a hurricane.

Edit: as far as dock rash, I would imagine that's impossible to avoid on a black boat. That's why they are usually white.

So since you know the boat any idea why in went to action and sold so cheap?

MINK 01-22-2018 02:53 PM

That caliber of boat, I would expect it to be mint.....but ill just keep dreaming for now !

Nate5.0 01-22-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MINK (Post 4606161)
That caliber of boat, I would expect it to be mint.....but ill just keep dreaming for now !

There is 2 black diamond MTI's.

The one that has the twin mini MTI 34 and this one that's for sale. This one was also at LOTO for sale and it is not in pristine condition. It's not bad but just looks as if it is used and stored outdoors at times.

MINK 01-22-2018 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 4606162)
There is 2 black diamond MTI's.

The one that has the twin mini MTI 34 and this one that's for sale. This one was also at LOTO for sale and it is not in pristine condition. It's not bad but just looks as if it is used and stored outdoors at times.

Yup I saw the matching one with the 34 in Key West this year, they looked good there but not sure I've ever seen this specific boat. I remember thinking how much black would be a pain running in salt water also. Again, I've never seen the boat that sold - sucks to hear it may of not been "spotless" but hey, at least the guy wasn't afraid to use it!

2john 01-22-2018 03:53 PM

Not sure which boat it is, but saw a black one stored in destin, fl two summers ago. Looked like it needed a wax job. But still one of the finest looking boats on the water.

chattviper 01-22-2018 07:09 PM

There are not 2 52 Black Diamond MTI's, there is one. The other which is almost identical is "Pressure Makes Diamonds" Which is the one that sold at BJ.

Perfect Storm 01-22-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ben (Post 4606156)
Note to self, buy a new mustang and store it for 25 years.

That's great if you have an extra bay in your garage and you don't have to pay anything to store it... but I know guys that are paying $100.00 per month to store! In 25 years that's 30k (if the rent doesn't go up) just in storage fees...

Jupiter Sunsation 01-22-2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm (Post 4606199)
That's great if you have an extra bay in your garage and you don't have to pay anything to store it... but I know guys that are paying $100.00 per month to store! In 25 years that's 30k (if the rent doesn't go up) just in storage fees...

I know a guy with a Roush Mustang (stage 1)....it is even an automatic paying $220 a month to store it (he lives in a place with no garage). I like the guy but he honestly thinks he is storing a Shelby GT350 and this car will be his retirement someday. His daily is a 15+ yr old Dodge caravan so when he drives it he really feels like he is driving Eleanor!

Unlimited jd 01-22-2018 08:23 PM

Could've sworn under the hatch of "black diamond" it says "pressure makes diamonds"

speicher lane 01-22-2018 09:13 PM

According to the MTI website, the first 52 Black Diamond was a 2013.. B.J. described the auction boat as a 2015... and it does have "Pressure makes Diamonds" on the Engine and cockpit hatches.. maybe its as legitimate of a sale as the Hustler 50 repo was on another tv program????? (Black Diamond was on a Tilt as well) - 1 owner, 1 name, 2 builds???

2015 MTI Pressure Makes Diamonds powerboat for sale in Arizona

Tim G. 01-22-2018 09:26 PM

The boat is Pressure Makes Diamonds... Not DWs very well maintained Black Diamond boat...
We build the two as a pair for the Miami show...
DWs boat is pretty much flawless all the time.
I haven't seen Pressure Makes Diamonds in quite awhile, so I have no idea bout its condition.

The first Black Diamond has since been resold..about two years ago...

Congrats to the new owner, whom ever it may be. Its an incredible machine.

Quinlan 01-23-2018 06:19 AM

DW doesn't have Anything that is Ill maintained. Open checkbook doesn't even begin to explain how he Rolls.

luke81 01-23-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd (Post 4606205)
Could've sworn under the hatch of "black diamond" it says "pressure makes diamonds"

You're correct, you can see it on the virtual tour on the MTI website. But it sounds like this is a different, but similar, boat.

luke81 01-23-2018 09:26 AM

https://www.speedonthewater.com/in-t...-s-on-the-rise

Here's an article where they discuss both boats and you can see them rafted up together. Old article, but cool anyhow.

WARPARTY36 01-23-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tim G. (Post 4606220)
The boat is Pressure Makes Diamonds... Not DWs very well maintained Black Diamond boat...
We build the two as a pair for the Miami show...
DWs boat is pretty much flawless all the time.
I haven't seen Pressure Makes Diamonds in quite awhile, so I have no idea bout its condition.

The first Black Diamond has since been resold..about two years ago...

Congrats to the new owner, whom ever it may be. Its an incredible machine.

Thank you Tim for the FACTS. I started to post yesterday but figured why bother, I'd hate to confuse all of the keyboard cowboys that have seen a picture of a black boat at one time or another. If you don't know FACTS, then why cloud the thread with BS that is confusing and no one wants to waste their time reading. Not just this thread, but any thread. It's stupidity like this that the people "in the know" don't post anymore. We've lost a LOT of valuable knowledge from others stupidity.

Nate5.0 01-23-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 (Post 4606287)
Thank you Tim for the FACTS. I started to post yesterday but figured why bother, I'd hate to confuse all of the keyboard cowboys that have seen a picture of a black boat at one time or another. If you don't know FACTS, then why cloud the thread with BS that is confusing and no one wants to waste their time reading. Not just this thread, but any thread. It's stupidity like this that the people "in the know" don't post anymore. We've lost a LOT of valuable knowledge from others stupidity.

Or sometimes words just don't through on a webpage and instead of "clearing it up", the "in the know crowd" crowed here talk down on others instead of asking or making a correction.

If any of it was referred my way I will clear up my post that there is 2 different black MTI's (which we know and cleared up from Tim as well). The one that was at Barrett is also the one that was outside of Toads at LOTO all week and just looked "used", not rough or beat. Then there is the one that has the matching 34 MTI and is always in great condition.

either way both boats are great and if it did sell for the price listed then congrats to the new owner.

WARPARTY36 01-23-2018 11:22 AM

Nate that wasn't aimed at you, don't edit a thing. It was just a general statement.

In any thread, if someone wants to know what is going on, then they should ask questions. No such thing as a dumb question, as long as someone has a factual reply.

Congrat's to the new "undisclosed" owner.

Nate5.0 01-23-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 (Post 4606308)
Nate that wasn't aimed at you, don't edit a thing. It was just a general statement.

In any thread, if someone wants to know what is going on, then they should ask questions. No such thing as a dumb question, as long as someone has a factual reply.

Congrat's to the new "undisclosed" owner.

i agree there is bo dumb question and you are right that a lot of false crap does get started via bad info.

racinfast002 01-23-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by payuppsucker (Post 4606159)
So since you know the boat any idea why in went to action and sold so cheap?

All I know is it was stored indoors on the trailer at legendary marina the last time I saw it. Indoors out of the weather. And given the location of where that marina is, how on Earth could it have possibly been in a hurricane.