Like Tree28Likes

Fort Myers

Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 34 Nor-Tech, 20 Cigarette

Boating is not as good in Naples. You have a very busy ride out to the gulf and have to run on the outside (gulf) up to the Sanibel bridge before you can get in the ICW and it can be rough some days. I have a house in Cape Coral, love it there but i only have Northern Canada to compare it to haha.
bleek likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered

My Boat: 19'baron to name a few

Good thing about Naples is you get south of the poopy river water of the Caloosahatchee . I like North Naples right on the Bonita/Naples county line.

Right around the Imokelee road area also there is a beautiful new outdoor mall right down the road a mile south with upscale restaurants and bars.

It is the Hang out place more than downtown Naples these days.

It is pretty affordable yet for being Naples and your not caught in the South Naples traffic
all the time .Plus it is only a 30 minute ride to either downtown Naples or Downtown Fort Myers or a 20 minute ride up the beach road to Party at Fort Myers Beach.

Best of both worlds.

But I really like the location for boat ramp availability . There is a very nice ramp that launches into a 10 minute idle out to Wiggins Pass with ample parking but it does get full.

Or 10 minutes north down the Beach road there is a nice ramp with unlimited parking that has no idle zones until you go out Under the New Pass Bridge and inlet.

By the way a great Party spot to pull the boat up to.

If you have a offshore boat that is 30 feet or better not much to worry about getting caught on the Outside unless a giant Cold Front just blew through. But that is only winter January to March and is predictable .

The Gulf is a great big millpond most days.

South Naples is much pricier and also has beautiful boating out of Naples Bay all the way to Marco through the intercostal but the 2 boat ramps in the Bay are a Zoo and parking fill up fast.

In out service in Naples bay for a 30 footer will run you about 1200 a month on an annual if you can find an opening.

A lot of people here like Cape Coral, I lived on the water there for for 3 years. Too far of a hike down river to the Gulf and too far of a drive to the beach.

But the biggest problem for me is it was way hotter there during the summer because the sea in the afternoon never reached up River .

I'll take a mile or 2 inland in North Naples any day . Resident 35 years.
masi242, pm203 and TURBO JET like this.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-10-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1984 Chris Cat

Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Update: The position can now be based out of Naples. Thoughts, Naples versus Ft Myers?
Naples is great. Ft Myers has great boating, reef fishing is good. Marco Island is close, Hurricane pass is a great place to beach the boat. And Miami/Ft lauderdale is only 2 hours away by car.

Love Naples....
pm203 likes this.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Registered

My Boat: 35 Fountain

I live in Cape Coral. Made the decision to move here in 2010. Very happy. Great boating and I have a lot of great friends. FMO is a fun club with plenty of people who are full timers and boat all year. Yes it's hot and humid during summer but we just go boating. Lol. Any questions feel free to contact me
Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 2018 Cigarette 39 GTS Trip 400's

My 48 SeaRay is in water on Ft. Myers Beach...the west side is a great smaller boat area. We have had the Cig 20 and SeaDoo out for fun runs in all the backwater areas, up the river and in gulf as well. Not the quantity of places to go like the east coast but typically much more boatable offshore. We can get from FMB to Key West or Marathon in 5 hrs @ 25 mph in the SeaRay. If I had to choose a living area I'd take Naples over Ft Myers. Cape Coral is ok depending on location / gulf access, it's a mixed bag over there...not quite as varied but reminds me of LOTO where you drive thru an industrial park, and past the trailers to then find a $2mm home.
pm203 likes this.