Notices

Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale

Old 02-02-2018, 01:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Ilmor tried, failed.
Mercury Racing/Mercruiser/Brunswick parts will be in 99% of I/O go-fast boats, period.
Ilmor is doing very well with Mastercraft boat sales. Also Formula is now using Ilmor matched to Yanmar / ilmor twin twin Prop outdrives among a few other builders. I understand not the V 10 here but Ilmor with Gen V GM Direct injection engines is doing fairly well. They seen the hand writing on the wall and dropped all High Performance Sportboat markets and focused on the wakeboard market inwhich is killing it with 150 K boat price tags. Merc on the other hand is clueless for the wakeboard market and has zero sales for that end. Too bad for them not seeing the lite for market share on their end.

To add --- Indmar marine located in TN - out sells Mercruiser for engine packages for the past 3 years min.

Merc racing sells nothing for the 520 / 540 / 565. Those engines are dead sales period. Hate that this market is basically completely dead. At one time, my place would see 60 to 65 percent performance stuff and 35 to 40 percent Rec stuff. Man have things changed. Its been for the past 3 years 50 percent wake boats then 40 to 45 percent Rec runabout boats and 5 to 10 percent performance stuff.

Mercruiser for 2017 only sold about 6500 to 7 K brand new engine packages. Thats not even enough to pay the lite bill to keep engine blocks stored in. Think about the overhead to only sell 6 to 7 K brand new engine packages. Plus all their current stuff is not one GM part , as Mercruiser builds their own black production side I/O - inboard engines. Hard to think about even staying in biz with building new Inboard / I/O engine packages and sterndrives when sales are at all time low.

Last edited by BUP; 02-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
If OB performance V's would sell great, why didn't AT sell more? They did 1 33? How many 29's?

Off topic but how in the world is a open cooler OB better in salt then a closed cooled I/O?
Primarily a corrosion advantage. Notice OBs didn't really rise in popularity until 300+ hp arrived.

1) Engine completely enclosed and high and dry vs. completely exposed to the salt air and atomized salt water splashing and circulating around in the bilge.
2) Outboards esp 2 cycle run cooler with less accelerated corrosion.
3) Different block and head materials with better corrosion advantage.
4) Able to completely and easily keep the engine sprayed with corrosion inhibitor up, down, all around.
5) Easier accessibility and easier to maintain.
6) Easier to flush.
7) Weigh less.
8) Cost less.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I bought a 400hr 250hp 4s Suzuki for $5k. No big labor bill to hang it either.

If you’ve got an overhead crane, shop and a space, you might be able to fix your I/Os cheaper. Maybe
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Sunsation is the perfect example of a boat company that would have probably ceased to exist today had they not changed with consumer wants.
Remember about 15-16 years ago when Wayne said "I will never build an open bow boat." Good thing he changed his mind.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lot of good points. If the demand for performance boat would be like 10-15 years ago, I would be all over the purchase of AT. I seen the AT 42' +- (something) deck years ago at Pats shop. There may be a demand for a larger AT. Current demand seems to be fancy CC's and open, roomy V's and even cats, many with OB's. Let's face it. The baby boomers spent a bunch of $ for our toys, performance boating was a hit, but most of us are changing boating venues. Not enough new blood with enough $ to maintain or bring back the performance industry. All the best to Pat and AT.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Lot of good points. If the demand for performance boat would be like 10-15 years ago, I would be all over the purchase of AT. I seen the AT 42' +- (something) deck years ago at Pats shop. There may be a demand for a larger AT. Current demand seems to be fancy CC's and open, roomy V's and even cats, many with OB's. Let's face it. The baby boomers spent a bunch of $ for our toys, performance boating was a hit, but most of us are changing boating venues. Not enough new blood with enough $ to maintain or bring back the performance industry. All the best to Pat and AT.
Prices on today's boats are ridiculous compared to mid/late 90's and early 2000's. "Entry level" boats are now $120k-$200k.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Im going to start a thread "How much for a 500hp I/O non Merc package"
Old 02-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
When these current outboards start to fail most do it your selfers will not be able to fix them period. And one can not go down to the local auto store and buy parts. 99 percent outboard parts are OEM specific only and that is going to kill the do it yourselfer. 10 years from now - outboards will be selling alot less engines plus the cost is going to be out of hand more than it is currently. 400 hp outboard is like 35 k per one engine currently. 400 hp for I/O's is nothing and can be done by the do it yourselfer for alot cheaper on a budget. Not much in the way for hop up parts for outboards plus most are all vanilla including the the hulls they rest on. White hull with color band on most hulls. Not all but most CC boats are built color combo that way. Super boring and outdated looking by far.

Also when the EPA mandates the Catalyst for all outboards inwhich will add 4 to 7 K higher cost to the outboard engine plus all the added systems surely will kill outboard sales. The cat is coming for outboards - its the manu s can not make the Cat last currently even to cover warranty issues.

Another issue is certain lakes and more down the road will require the higher star level rating for emissions to boat on. If I stand corrected I think --- Volvo and Ilmor current direct injections with VVT engines are the cleanest burning engines for mass production stock apps. The direct injections engines with CATS are reducing start up emissions up to 70 percent. VVT also adds to cleaner emissions. Start up emissions are a main concern especially for the next EPA emission requirements. Volvo and Ilmor will pass those emissions. Not sure about any outboards passing those emissions without cats. My guess is they won t. Just saying
All very valid points but I believe that turbo OBs will allow the emissions to be low enough for the next round of regulation. And I LOVE my 700s and they sure made short work of OB boats when we ran around New Year's weekend. Five year warranty on those OBs sure seems tempting though.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Merc is a world wide house hold name with a decent warranty/ parts availability within a few business day. No different than a vehicle - you are paying for their warranty program and the calculated cost of claims incurred in in base price.

Good Luck to whom ever takes on this endeavor - its a good product if quality is maintained.
Correct about "world wide" and "house hold name" but don't count on the two or three business days waiting for parts, I know from experience.

Nobody will ever break into the market in a big way, right or wrong, Merc owns the market.

​​​​​​​RR
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RR is right! Most boaters and especially novice boaters want a proven, recognized name with market longevity. The current marketplace for I/O's is obviously shrinking, and makes for a difficult/foolhardy venture. I could never understand why Ilmor went with the V-10 setup. In a pinch, you can get a Gm style cap and rotor, oil filter and more at a local Wallmart, not so with a V-10 rig. IMHO, packaging difficulty, greater investment both initially and for servicing, a lack of qualified marine techs with exposure to the Viper power plant, along with zero parts interchangeability with mainstream V/8's is a tough sell to any manufacturer, stocking dealer or marina. I believe Ilmor made a wise choice in re - focusing on GM power plants. I have owned 4 Viper's, and while I loved them all, parts and servicing were substantially pricier than with any of my Corvettes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.