Meet the Motor Monkey in Miami

Like Tree13Likes

Meet the Motor Monkey in Miami

Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

My Boat: 2014 Cigarette 39 GTS

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Why not just tie the boat up properly and the motors will not hit the dock? Would you tie up a stearn drive so that the transom could rub and bang on the dock? 300 bucks to say I am an idiot and can't tie my boat up properly!

Padraig
Thats the only way to tie a boat around New Orleans area. All docks are flat with no fingers.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Registered

My Boat: Velocity 290 VR- 1

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 View Post
Thats the only way to tie a boat around New Orleans area. All docks are flat with no fingers.
I may be confused but do you mean that they tie up strictly with the stearn cleats, no midship or bow lines?

Padraig
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

My Boat: Missing my PowerPlay

Great idea, a bit on the pricey side though. Better not have any dirt/grit between them and the engines.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Registered

My Boat: Current: Velocity 390 and Velocity 280. Previous: Velocity 320 and Velocity 220.

Sorry but I also can't see the product gaining market traction. If there is a substantive market for outboard docking protection(?), there will certainly be lower priced options and more attractive solutions (permanent and temporary).competing with this design. No comment on what role the monkey played!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 32 Sunsation SSR, 308 skater,( #1-28 skater sold), 24' Xpress

Why not just tie the boat up properly and the motors will not hit the dock? Would you tie up a stearn drive so that the transom could rub and bang on the dock? 300 bucks to say I am an idiot and can't tie my boat up properly!

Padraig
we've always backed in here. Growing up I thought that was the only way LOL... I like it, leave when you want, don't have to worry with pulling out of a raft ups going to find the other boat owners so you can get out, plus you take up way less dock space and no one walks all over your boat! We dock up just fine with the proper fender placement if you're use to it. Many of the establishments frown on side docking because it takes away from business. I don't like taking up that space with my outboard boat...other boaters here feel that same, trust me I've gotten some looks side docking because I didn't want to F up my cowls

I like the idea! Kort has had some type of set up on his Sunsation outboards ever since he's had it I think and looks like he's got a damn good product after a few years of trial and error I bet. Pricing...well if you know how much a cowl costs then the Motor Monkey is cheep and that's not even figuring in paint if you have it! I have not experienced theft on these waters in all my years of boating and fishing with my gear left in a bass boat or power boat unlocked over night...I know call me crazy for that I guess

You guys (Ya'll) know we're a little different down here anyway if you don't, come on down for the Tickfaw 200 and find out

Craig
Indy, Padraig, akaboatman and 2 others like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

take a look at the tickfaw 200 drone videos at sunbun, prop stop, blind river bar ( R.I.P)etc ...you will see why we do what we do in some of the spots

this was sunbus annual poker run in 2015...not near the boats as the 200!!

Tickfaw 200, 2016

akaboatman likes this.

Last edited by LAriverratt; 02-09-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt View Post
take a look at the tickfaw 200 drone videos at sunbun, prop stop, blind river bar ( R.I.P)etc ...you will see why we do what we do in some of the spots

this was sunbus annual poker run in 2015...not near the boats as the 200!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8IvN9azdg

Tickfaw 200, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-KFVWkEdA
ok , I understand now but what happens if there is a cross wind or current? Thirty plus feet of bow secured by two crossed, I assume, stern lines. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why don't the marina or whatever put out some poles? At least now I see why the product is needed. What do people with stern drives do to protect the drives and transom?

Thanks for the explanation.

Padraig
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

My Boat: Missing my PowerPlay

ok , I understand now but what happens if there is a cross wind or current? Thirty plus feet of bow secured by two crossed, I assume, stern lines. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why don't the marina or whatever put out some poles? At least now I see why the product is needed. What do people with stern drives do to protect the drives and transom?

Thanks for the explanation.

Padraig
At my marina in CT everyone backs into the dock...no big deal at all, unless you have no fenders but that goes for any docking situation. For my boats I had fenders for backing in, they were shaped like a upside down L, easy peasy. Of course I had stern drives, I suppose a product like the subject in this thread or similar would do the trick. Nothing special for the lines, just one for each rear cleat. Just not that big of a deal and to be honest I never really gave it much thought, backing in a 28' single is a total pain though, the twin 33 no problem.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Registered

I understand backing in, we do the same but we also have finger piers or at least poles to also tie the bow to.

Padraig
Old 02-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We will put spring lines if needed. Most all docks are not boarded into the water. I split dock pilings with my engines, some have extended swim platforms and back in between them. Itís really not hard. I have issues when I go where there are pilings lol because I donít experience that often