Notices

Got The Itch Again....

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua

Thank you, hope one day to get there.
I am an Aussie, I moved to Thailand in 2007 but I still like meat pies, beer, boxing with kangaroos and wresting crocodiles.

Jon.

P.S. I like Daniel Ricciardo too but Renault will have to lift their game if he's gonna get a championship in the next few years!
Jon, you probably won't get along well with Gary. He hates beer.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

You guys need to check out the F1 docuseries on Netflix. It's pretty good.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

My memory sucks due to yrs of torturing my brain.

Ken is a stud.
One of my favorite Ken stories:

Yrs ago, I organized a large hot rod O/B get together.
The host town had a tourism board and they gave grants to events that filled their hotels.
Process was that you send them a proposal and the board votes on it during their monthly luncheon meetings.
I sent them a power point presentation which included magazine clips about Kens record and stating that he would be at my event.
That got their attention.
I wanted to do the presentation in person.
I had a buddy that lives in that town and knew the board and said thatd never been done.

He called me the next day saying the board asked if I could come down and would I please bring info on Kens record.

Me being me, I called Ken and asked what he was doing tomorrow
I showed up at his place the next morning to pick him up (the board not knowing I was actually bringing Ken) and having a small, economical car I motioned to Ken to get in.
Ken knew me as "Instigator" from a O/B website and called me Gator.

He was standing beside his 1 ton dually tow vehicle that had a fiberglass cap on it with huge graphics saying "KEN WARBY, WORLDS FASTEST MAN ON WATER".
He pints at the graphics and says, "no Gator, I'll drive"
Got an invaluable lesson in marketing and showmanship in his driveway!

Best part was, we got to the meeting early and parked Kens truck right in front of the door to the tourism office.
The board members had to walk by Kens truck to get to the door!!

Freagin hilarious!

The man spent yrs following around/supporting our caravan, towing his new boat behind that truck that always had coolers full of Fosters beer that he gave out at our event.

He and his son are currently testing a new boat in preparation of breaking his own record.

Heres a couple more shots of my visit.

He wanted to do a dry fire of his jet in his driveway.
The starter solenoid stuck on but the jet wouldnt light. While cranking, the fuelk pump was on so the jet was over flowing K-1 into the bilge and running out the drain plug onto his driveway.
Thats me in the red jacket (Ken on ground) hot wiring the starter which did start the motor and......, set his driveway on fire!

Sometimes in life youre lucky enough to meet someone that impacts your life enough that you never forget them.
Ken is one for me.

Originally Posted by rak rua
(Small typo above........ KW's record was 4 decades ago)

RR

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bulletbob (03-22-2019), DBleil89 (03-19-2019), hblair (08-20-2022), larslindroth (03-21-2019), masi242 (03-20-2019), payuppsucker (03-18-2019), rak rua (03-18-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "Frankenrude" decal, is that what will be on this boat or was that an old pic? Again I am enjoying watching your progress on this build!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the compliments.
And yes, thats an old picture.
I call my hot rod motors FrankenRudes. The yellow/red one was Frank I, the one you like is Frank II.
Not sure yet on graphics for these motors.
Need to get them painted and beside the boat to decide what will look good.
In the "paint shop" now

Originally Posted by Stclair26
I like the "Frankenrude" decal, is that what will be on this boat or was that an old pic? Again I am enjoying watching your progress on this build!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Registered

Out of the paint shop.

Now for their graphics.......
Old 03-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Awesome

Unbelievable work. You are a Rebuild Master!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Twins double the pleasure...

The FrankenRUDE II sure was a looker, but I'm bewildered about what you will create graphics wise on these twins? They look awfully good the way they are and somehow I got the hunch that less is more on these. Btw, just stumbled upon a video by Tiara Yachts on Vimeo that made me think about what's awaiting You and Your first mate once You get going in Port Huron.
https://vimeo.com /324323509 (due to privacy rights by Vimeo you got to connect the two parts of my link to watch it. Since I'm not allowed to type it all here I left a single space: ...eo.com/324...)

Last edited by larslindroth; 03-23-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: https://vimeo.com/324323509 can't be published.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Registered

Thx a million CT Baja. It is much appreciated.

Lars, I agree w/everything you wrote.
The graphics on Frank II were about showing up at an event and screaming from the top of your lungs, "I am a garage brewed JohnRude and I aint scared of any of you Merc factory race motors and we'll throw down right here, right now".
These motors and this boat are not that

The motors are only part of the project and I want them to be more subtle.
I painted and labeled these for my last Sonic and like them.

On the North Channel, awesome video.
As you may know, I was there as a kid w/my parents, on their boat. Ive been trying to relive that trip w/our cruisers ever since.
We lost my dad last June and are now thinking we will tow the Checkmate to Port Huron and spend a wk or two up there burning gas doing the "Vern Tour".
We did the North Channel and Georgian Bay several times and it made my childhood magical.

Lars, I just noticed the boat listed in your avatar. Can you post some pixs of it please?

Originally Posted by larslindroth
The FrankenRUDE II sure was a looker, but I'm bewildered about what you will create graphics wise on these twins? They look awfully good the way they are and somehow I got the hunch that less is more on these. Btw, just stumbled upon a video by Tiara Yachts on Vimeo that made me think about what's awaiting You and Your first mate once You get going in Port Huron.
https://vimeo.com /324323509 (due to privacy rights by Vimeo you got to connect the two parts of my link to watch it. Since I'm not allowed to type it all here I left a single space: ...eo.com/324...)

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-24-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Btw, just stumbled upon a video by Tiara Yachts on Vimeo that made me think about what's awaiting You and Your first mate once You get going in Port Huron.
https://vimeo.com
Circa '1975 or so.

Not sure if its Georgian Bay or North Channel.
'1964 37' mahogany planked Chris Craft followed by a '1960 35' steel hulled, Chris Craft Roamer.
The 37 replaced the '1957 39' mahogany planked Richardson (my favorite boat) that we took up the yr before.

A prior yr where we followed the US side of Lake Huron and ended up at Mackinaw Island.
Magical times for sure.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-24-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.