Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do verados have a knock sensor and compensate for detonation? >

Do verados have a knock sensor and compensate for detonation?

Notices

Do verados have a knock sensor and compensate for detonation?

Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Do verados have a knock sensor and compensate for detonation?

I’m buying a pair of verado 350s for my manta 32cc planning to remap them to 400 or 450 hp. I’m a lío worried about the fuel quality here so wondering if they have knock sensors and will compensate for poor fuel. Thx for any info. Rm
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes and maybe
Old 03-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
yes and maybe
You might want to budget for maybe....
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant directly tell you that Merc does or does not, but I can tell you from someone that works for a OEM that design engines, ANYTHING that is not NA has knock detection, and will pull timing till knock stops. You HAVE to design for a customer putting 85 oct when right on the cap it says 91 minimum. Seeing how much these outboards cost I would be good money they do all of the above.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Cool, is that what the 400 is really based off of?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All 4 strokes are going to have a knock sensor .It is needed to protect the engine.

Simon motor sports remaps verados. They will tell you you need to run 91 to get full benefit of the map. Going down to 85 might be strechting it. Timing can be retarded at the expense of performance.

There is a point where the gas will self ignite prematurely causing a knock. No amount of adjustment will stop that.

Hot spots and carbon build up may also cause pre-ignition.

I would ask whomever is doing the remapping as to what the minimum octane is required. I am guessing it would be 89.

If you are remapping I assume you want to run harder. Engines are more likely to knock the harder they are run. Lastly heat will play a factor when running marginal gas.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have 2 knock sensors.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by justfishing
All 4 strokes are going to have a knock sensor .It is needed to protect the engine.

Simon motor sports remaps verados. They will tell you you need to run 91 to get full benefit of the map. Going down to 85 might be strechting it. Timing can be retarded at the expense of performance.

There is a point where the gas will self ignite prematurely causing a knock. No amount of adjustment will stop that.

Hot spots and carbon build up may also cause pre-ignition.

I would ask whomever is doing the remapping as to what the minimum octane is required. I am guessing it would be 89.

If you are remapping I assume you want to run harder. Engines are more likely to knock the harder they are run. Lastly heat will play a factor when running marginal gas.

yes i plan to remap my 350s to 400. I know I can find high test in Cartagena but if I can’t get it one day and need to get from point a to b. That I can get by with regular til I can buy some hi test. Thx for the info guys