Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Notices

Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

OK, this will be a long one. We've had our current boat for a little over 4 and a half years. Great boat.....but I've had a issue with it since the day I got it and I simply just can't figure it out. I get water in my fuel tank...
Before I go on, I've owned boats since 1982 and have generally worked on them myself, with the exception of internal engine work. I've also researched the chit out of this subject. I know all of the things that are out there in GoogleLand about the causes and fixes, none of them worked. Replaced the O-Rings on the fuel fills, replaced the gasket on the fuel sender on top of the tank, made sure that there is a loop in the vent hoses, checked for leaks....none of them are the issue. I've had the water tested and it is fresh water. (Wanna know how to piss off the guys at the pool place?) There has NEVER been a drop of fuel in the bilge. The ONLY possibility that it can be is condensation....and, according to all of the experts on the internet, there is no such thing. It's impossible for it to happen!!!

The boat was a trade-in and the guy who traded it in had just finished "re-doing" the whole boat. Maybe it was stored inside and they never knew of the issue? I don't know and really don't care. It's a used boat, it surveyed good and I bought it. I'm not one to blame chit on others, I just fix it...or try to. The first time that it happened was a few weeks after I got the boat. We left the dock and the boat cut out about 50 yards from our dock. A friend towed me back. I thought that I had gotten bad fuel. Called a guy, he came out and pumped the water out of the tank and showed me the plug at the back of the tank. (see picture) He told me to go buy some clear hose, a primer bulb and put a coat hanger in the bottom part of the hose (See picture, it's like a McGyver thing)

I've gotten into the habit of checking the fuel every time before going out... It takes 5 minutes to do, not a big deal, but it's a pain in the azz. The boat is stored on a lift, under a canopy and my lawn irrigation sprinklers do not spray water onto the boat when the are on. (Told ya that I've checked everything) LOL
I use my bulb and hose apparatus and get the water out, let it settle and then pour the fuel part back into the tank. I've got three pictures below of the last three times that I've pumped it out. All one week apart, it's pretty much the same amount of water each time. It hasn't rained in the last three weeks, so it's certainly not rain water getting in there!!
I've owned over a dozen boats through the years and been around boats of friends and have never seen this issue. There is definitely a problem, but WTF is it? One thing that I have noticed is that if I put gas station 10% ethanol fuel in it, it's a little more water, but I haven't done that in over a year. The three photos of the water/fuel in the clear plastic jug is all REC 90 fuel from a marina with new tanks.

Anyone seen this before? Why is it happening to this boat and no others????

Week1-two weeks from previous pumping.

Week2

week3..today

Chit looks like egg drop soup! LOL

Top of the rear of fuel tank/ access point

McGyver apparatus

Where she lives...

Last edited by OldSchool; 03-02-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I should add that it's a single 240 gallon tank. Two fills and two vents....
Old 03-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start off by capping the fill as usual, mix a soapy bucket of Dawn and water (more soap the better) then grab a shop vac. Put shop vac hose on pressure side of vac and put some pressure in the tank vent on side of boat. Start dumping soap over all those tank fittings and fill cap to see if bubbles arise or maybe you'll be able to hear hissing/air coming from somewhere. Quick note though... tank vent hoses usually hold a little fuel so be prepared for some spit back from the vent. I know, sounds crazy but...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Craig, are you getting Ethanol laced fuel or straight Gasoline?
If so, are you treating it?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

It can only be one thing....................Sabotage........Fountain owner

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 03-02-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Registered

Was typing as you sent more info. Will have to cap one of the vents to try this obviously.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Craig, are you getting Ethanol laced fuel or straight Gasoline?
If so, are you treating it?
Read the post... comprehension is most important!!!!! LOL
Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Registered

Where are fuel vents located.
My ChrisCraft used to get water in vent from following boat wake. It was located at top of transom.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Are there any fresh water tanks on board.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vents are on the side of the boat. It's not getting in there, because, as I said above....it's fresh water in the tank, we boat in salt water...

Yes, there is a fresh water tank onboard....but that has nothing to do with the fuel tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.