Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Experience w/ Big Johnson Performance Engines? >

Any Experience w/ Big Johnson Performance Engines?

Notices

Any Experience w/ Big Johnson Performance Engines?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Experience w/ Big Johnson Performance Engines?

I attempted to search the forum and found a couple of engine builder threads, but I wasn't able to find anything on Big Johnson Performance Engines out of the Lancaster, PA area (Brownstown). Has anyone on here had any experience with any engines from Big Johnson Performance Engines? Or heard anything, either good or bad, about his engines? I'm considering buying a boat with one of his engines in it and I'm just trying to do a little research to see how reputable a builder he is and what kind of quality his motors are. The motor in question is a carbureted 454 built from the block up. It seems that the parts used are quality parts, but as we all know, using good parts is only half the battle. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

NO personal experience, but remember seeing some Drama on Passion for Powerboats

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2229...lity=available
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I had a Big Johnson Performance Engines tee-shirt in the early 90's....
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There has been alot of talk about BIG JOHNSON over the years. Actually there is videos about his start as well plus how he he got his name in the marine industry. This might shock some of you about BIG JOHNSON in PA.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^^
������
Old 03-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He catches alot of heat on Facebook. I think he may have even left passion for powerboats and now trying to sling his motors in big block Chevy performance group instead. From what I saw alot of knowledgeable builders and guys were questioning his dyno numbers and parts selections. But not real sure there's a new person being called out every month in the fb groups
Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Attempted humor on my part above . Anyways really would nt put that much faith in FB for real depth tech on marine anything. Everyone is an expert on most of the marine pages. Never seen so many experts in any field except for the marine pages on FB.

Kills me the number one answer is - "been doing it for years that way never had a problem "