Looking at a 93 Formula F-252 BR

Notices

Looking at a 93 Formula F-252 BR

Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 93 Formula F-252 BR

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get into boating and the above boat is one I'm looking at. I have been looking at bowriders from all the different brands around the 18-20 ft mark. I love the fact that this one is 25 ft as the extra room will be great to bring along another family or kids friends. Will be using it in ocean bays of South Jersey and also some river time. Main usage will be family runabout and getting a 7 and 12 yr old into watersports. Also the fact that it has a head compartment will help my girlfriend enjoy it more.

I've read they have a good reputation but I did find one poster say that this boat not that suited to water sports seeing it didn't plane until low 20's and that it wasn't suited. Can anyone expand on this for me? Would trim tabs help with this?

What would a day of boating cost fuel wise with the 454?

I plan to go and have a look at it this week if it's suitable. It needs some minor mechanical work and the interior is showing its age with some splits down the stitching either side of the sun pad. I restore muscle cars and am quite handy but don't want a major project for my first boat so am taking that into consideration. There is another for sale locally which looks to be in pristine condition but has over double the engine hours and is also $13k more expensive, though it comes with a trailer. I have sent an email to Formula to find out the cost of new skins.

Impeller is good and has stainless risers that are good but exhaust manifolds haven't been replaced in a while.

Will my 2010 Dodge Ram 5.7 be enough to tow this boat?

The mechanic who has serviced the boat is selling it for an older customer as it just sat out of the water last year as getting too much for him.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Default .

We have that exact boat. It is a great boat. Very well built and rides great. Ours is a bravo 3 and has almost no bow rise. We use it for skiing and tubing and is perfect for that. I had to redo the upholstery on the engine hatch last year. The rest is original and looks new. It has 788 hours and been a great family boat.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
We have that exact boat. It is a great boat. Very well built and rides great. Ours is a bravo 3 and has almost no bow rise. We use it for skiing and tubing and is perfect for that. I had to redo the upholstery on the engine hatch last year. The rest is original and looks new. It has 788 hours and been a great family boat.
Good to know, thanks for that.

How much did it cost for the engine hatch and did it include the sections to the side?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

We just did the 2 top sections ,a guy at MTI did it on the side for $600
Old 04-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Boating is a great sport but requires a certain love just ask anyone on this board. OK I hate to bring this up but the Gas is the cheap part of boating, you will burn around 7-13 gallons per hour for tubing and cursing around with a big block. Now you are looking at a 20 year old boat. Not sure if you know the maintenance records of the boat, but if its been in salt water a few items to check would be Manifold and risers, also oil pans sitting in a bilge can get pitted as well. Check the drive bellows as well Belts, hoses and a general tune up might be good as well, I would also think you might want a survey on the boat.

Formula builds a nice boat and I think even there website has archived brochures on that model.

I by no means am trying to steer you away from boating but it takes a lot more then just Gas to go boating. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
We just did the 2 top sections ,a guy at MTI did it on the side for $600
Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boomer
Boating is a great sport but requires a certain love just ask anyone on this board. OK I hate to bring this up but the Gas is the cheap part of boating, you will burn around 7-13 gallons per hour for tubing and cursing around with a big block. Now you are looking at a 20 year old boat. Not sure if you know the maintenance records of the boat, but if its been in salt water a few items to check would be Manifold and risers, also oil pans sitting in a bilge can get pitted as well. Check the drive bellows as well Belts, hoses and a general tune up might be good as well, I would also think you might want a survey on the boat.

Formula builds a nice boat and I think even there website has archived brochures on that model.

I by no means am trying to steer you away from boating but it takes a lot more then just Gas to go boating. Good Luck and Enjoy.
I appreciate your response.

I realize that boating is expensive but I would be foolish to go in with my eyes closed and not knowing what the daily running costs are.I hope to be getting out twice a week whilst the kids are on summer vacation. I have owned a couple of yachts in the past and have used power boats through my profession on and off for 20 yrs. Nearly all my muscle cars are big blocks so I know they are thirsty just wasn't sure how that translated to a boat.

I will probably get a survey done on which ever boat I end up buying.

Boat needs bottom blasted and painted so there is around $2k. Spent it's seasons in salt water marina. Drive looks rough in photo. Is that hard to rebuild?

Needs trim cylinders and lines. Are aftermarket units any good?

Carter Carb needs replacing. Exhaust manifolds haven't been replaced in ages. Risers are stainless and good. 2 yr old fuel pump had minimal use.

Has no trailer which won't be cheap to replace. Formula quoted $5300 for interior front and rear not including captains chairs as they don't have the patterns or material for them.

Owner wants $7k which is double of what I think it worth seeing all the work it needs. Hull is in good condition with no problems.

I should probably run but I love the looks and space the boat has plus am a sucker for a project.Plus those brochures on the formula website have sold me the old school dream!

But I have only just started looking also. Just seeing if this is viable or not. That's the beauty of forums and connecting with people more knowledgeable on a subject than yourself.

I also looked at a 19ft Four Winns 5.0 on the weekend and going to see a 19ft Stingray with the 4.3 which is meant to be a fast boat due to the hull shape. Though have read some people say it would have a rough ride though I've not seen any owners say that. Also a couple of Chaparrals that I hope to see. Also inquired about a super clean Checkmate Pulse 185 BR but the interior of that looks way smaller than other similar sized bowriders.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The boats you have listed will give you a rough ride in the bay, try to stay 23-25 feet, Formula make a good boat. The low cost of getting into this boat may be appealing, but it can get expensive quick. Look for a good local upholster and have then do the work. and a survey is a good idea.