Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How's the used boat market this year? >

How's the used boat market this year?

Notices

How's the used boat market this year?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the used boat market this year?

Crazy hot last spring, are things any different this year
Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd say warm-hot. Clean, priced correctly, well taken care of, mercury (or well known engine build) boats, always seem to sell. The boats that usually sell have good looking paint, traditional paint, that is timeless along with interiors. That's just my 2 cents. Other factors come into play. Age also is a factor because of financing for some as well as insurance.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Various opinions on this. There's less than 1/2 the boats for sale than a few years ago so things have been a lot better but this also has people asking more for they're used boats.
If it's super clean it will most likely sell if not it will sit.
there's also the boats that never even hit the classifieds, someone they know buys it from them.
They'll always be a market for these boats if you like to charge hard in the rough stuff but things have definitely gone open bow. Trends come and go!!!
There's such a small amount of these being produced now that if the market ever swings back this way you may have a good pay day when it comes. Remember no one ever thought muscle cars would be worth what they are now
The new ones are so expensive now that it makes sense to buy an older one and restore it as it will be a fraction of the cost. The older boats seem to bottom out on price so if you sell a few years later you will lose some money on the upgrades but remember the new ones go down in value too.
You also need cash buyers for the older boats as only a few credit unions and banks have got back into financing them.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, pretty much what I've been seeing as well, the difference I've seen is that anything would sell last year , versus people seem to be avoiding the project boats this year. Also, the people that price their boats right, which surprisingly enough seems to be more the norm with dealers, move them quickly.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The used sportboats are becoming older for sure because not much new has been generated since around 2006 as for the final year per new sale volumes. IMO, most of the used sportboats are way over priced on the market. Seems like most are 2004 and back year models for sale. Just an example --- a 28 ft single back in 2001 brand new was not 150k to 200 k like it would be currently. Prob was base priced 60 k to the upper end of 85 K when new. With that said, can not see how asking prices are 50 to 75 percent of the boat cost new to begin with. Plus 90 percent of all used boats are not 100 percent turn key. Most all need some dollars to many dollars to make reliable and right for the water.

Last edited by BUP; 04-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

In 2004 I was shopping for a early 90's top gun with mild power in nice shape. I've seen a couple of the boats I consider then listed the past year for basically the same money 14 years later. Obviously they may have been redone in some ways but the outdated exterior paint was the same.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
I'd say warm-hot. Clean, priced correctly, well taken care of, mercury (or well known engine build) boats, always seem to sell. The boats that usually sell have good looking paint, traditional paint, that is timeless along with interiors. That's just my 2 cents. Other factors come into play. Age also is a factor because of financing for some as well as insurance.
Agree on the paint.The more multi-colored and swirly, splotchy, graphically or themed based the design is the quicker it gets outdated and leans out the customer base. Less can be more at resale.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Registered

I've noticed with the interest rates, and fuel costs going up, that non go fast boats are starting to sit. And I've seen a couple of smaller performance boats that I thought were priced right sitting
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Agree on the paint.The more multi-colored and swirly, splotchy, graphically or themed based the design is the quicker it gets outdated and leans out the customer base. Less can be more at resale.
Like this one?
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...aw-o72387.html
Old 04-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Leave my swirly boat paint alone!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.