Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Horrible experience  Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore >

Horrible experience Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore

Notices

Horrible experience Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore

Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm?? I took my engines to him and waited four days and He sent me to buy $1000 dollars of worthless distributors and your asking me if I was asking him to do it my way? If I was going to do it my way then I would not have gone to him. Strange question I guess I do not understand. The problem is that he does not know the Holley EFI. It's over his head. All he could do is search the internet, google, search forums, and call people. The engines run it's a problem with the timing. I told him that before I took it there and he said he could fix that. Guess not.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:57 PM
Registered

Yes you are rite about what you say about Chief. Chief was fantastic. I thought Precision Power Offshore was Chief. It was only after I was there that I found out Chief retired and sold Chief to Ben. Ben is using the Chief name. Probably because his name Precision Power Offshore's reputation is in the toilet.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:07 AM
Registered

I did not say I never got the engines started I do not understand why you say that. The engines were running before I went to Ben's place. I wanted the Holley EFI set up and the engines Dynoed, Ben could not get past setting the timing. After four days and spending $3500 I finally left. He accomplished nothing. The engines are the same now as they were before. I want the engines tuned. I want the timing set up, fuel table calibrated. Boost retard set up. And Dyno sheets. Standard procedure for any Dyno tuning shop.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Janet
I am from the Detroit area. I wanted to have my two 1250's tuned. I called around and found Ben at Chief engines also known as Precision Power Offshore in spring lake Michigan. I told him I had a pair of 1250's with the Holley EFI system and looking for a shop that could tune them. He told me he was a Holley expert. Ben convinced me to go there. I drove accross the state. I was there four days and three nights in a Hotel while I was waiting on Ben to get my engines running. He could not set the timing or set up the fuel map or timing map. He knows nothing. I sat there day after day watching him google the problem and check the Holley forum and call people. He told me my distributors were the problem. I drove three hours and spent $1000 on distributors that he cold not get to run either. He knows nothing about EFI. And even though he could not set the timing he charged me thousands of dollars. All together it cost me $3500 and I have nothing. My engines still do not run. Does anyone know of a good shop that dyno tunes 1250's with Holley EFI? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jan
This is why they assumed they weren't running because that's what you said...I know if it was me there's no way I would have paid for a service that I was not provided...If you take your car/truck in for an oil change and they just pull the dipstick and check it..would you pay for an oil change?? I wouldn't lol...and furthermore if I had to buy distributors at HIS request and they did nothing...I would not be paying for those either...from what you're sayin it sounds like you have an easy open and shut lawsuit thing to get all of your money back...unless pieces of the story are missing...idk about the other guys but I'm not saying you are lying at all we are just trying to find out more to protect future "clients" of said individual

As far as your question goes....I know I've heard great things about tyler crockett but have no experience and I've also heard good things from DMPE in Stevensville Michigan however the engines would need to be pulled to dyno tune them....at any rate...good luck!!

Stewart
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Janet
Hmmm?? I took my engines to him and waited four days and He sent me to buy $1000 dollars of worthless distributors and your asking me if I was asking him to do it my way? If I was going to do it my way then I would not have gone to him. Strange question I guess I do not understand. The problem is that he does not know the Holley EFI. It's over his head. All he could do is search the internet, google, search forums, and call people. The engines run it's a problem with the timing. I told him that before I took it there and he said he could fix that. Guess not.
Something seems odd, Holley system is so dang simple I tuned my entire new motor in my boat in less that 8hrs, with about 6 of that idle tuning. Before this I knew the basics of tuning but never tackled anything like it before. This was on a twin turbo LS in a boat not exactly the most forgiving set-up.

I haven't played around with Distributor with Holley a ton, but I'm guessing he wasn't getting a rev sync signal from the dist. to get timing from. What exactly is your set-up? Holley what?? HP, Domintor? Whats it doing not doing? If you have a lap top and can sync to the ECU I can walk you thru just about anything in the software.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

not trying to highjack thread but you have a counter-rotating blower? I too have arnesons, been trying to figure out how to add blowers to reverse rotation engine.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's hard to just not pay when your boat (or engines) is locked up in someone's shop.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Who built the engines?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
not trying to highjack thread but you have a counter-rotating blower? I too have arnesons, been trying to figure out how to add blowers to reverse rotation engine.
Reverse which gear you drive from on the front of the blower.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Registered

Steve Morris is a Holley guru and expert dyno operator. He is also in MI. Best of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.