Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can the Formula 330 Handle Bigger Seas? >

Can the Formula 330 Handle Bigger Seas?

Notices

Can the Formula 330 Handle Bigger Seas?

Old 04-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like mine 02 496's granted I have only run it 4 times but been out in Lake Michigan in a 2 gave it a little tab and felt great and stable.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No
Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 330SS on Buzzards Bay and 3-4 footers in the afternoon are common. It is a wet ride in choppy conditions and you will have to learn how to handle the boat. The 20 degree hull just does not provide enough comfort through the waves. It is best to try to keep the bow down a bit to cut into the chop. So, compared to the older Formulas with the 24 degree hulls, not a good ride, but still better than many other brands of boat IMO. When it is expected to be rough in the afternoons, we try to pick a destination that has us heading into the waves in the morning and going with them in the afternoon. If not, then it is just slow going and free showers for all.

The 310SS has a deeper V and might be a better choice, if you are planning on going through the rough stuff on a frequent basis.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
I’d look for anything Full Force has owned as they seem to be more rough water able than a battleship
Not to mention everything he buys puts the build quality of everything else to shame
Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tpenfield
I have my 330SS on Buzzards Bay and 3-4 footers in the afternoon are common. It is a wet ride in choppy conditions and you will have to learn how to handle the boat. The 20 degree hull just does not provide enough comfort through the waves. It is best to try to keep the bow down a bit to cut into the chop. So, compared to the older Formulas with the 24 degree hulls, not a good ride, but still better than many other brands of boat IMO. When it is expected to be rough in the afternoons, we try to pick a destination that has us heading into the waves in the morning and going with them in the afternoon. If not, then it is just slow going and free showers for all.

The 310SS has a deeper V and might be a better choice, if you are planning on going through the rough stuff on a frequent basis.
This is great info. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

Thumbs down Not really ideal

Originally Posted by red_delicious
This is great info. Thanks for weighing in.
Hey there RedD - I owned 2002 330SS here in the southern NJ waters for about 6 seasons with 496s/B3s and would agree 150% with all of the 20* deadrise comments. IMHO this design does not translate into a smooth ride in anything above 1'-2' that LIS has to offer. The Sound, I think, is very similar behaving water as Barnegat Bay where I've boated for 30+yrs. When a 1'-2' day is rare - like normally only early mornings / early evening type conditions. Most times the wind is kickin' and 2' & 3's are rollin' through and in this the hull is not good ... that might even be putting it too kindly. Very wet and very slappy happy and bow steering as others stated. It doesn't knife through these conditions well with 20*. The 20* deadrise allows for the nice 10' 6" wide beam and adds comfortable amount of space in the cockpit party area, but that's the extent. It doesn't play well with the ride! That said, EVERYTHING else about the Formula 330SS is absolutely top notch & solid. Was one of best I've owned without question, she's just a bit rough in the bigger stuff. Good luck Chris
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
I think, is very similar behaving water as Barnegat Bay where I've boated for 30+yrs. When a 1'-2' day is rare - like normally only early mornings / early evening type conditions. Most times the wind is kickin' and 2' & 3's are rollin' through and in this the hull is not good ... that might even be putting it too kindly
Yeah...close. Typical summer is SW which brings it up from the Manhattan end, gets nice and sloppy...fun. When it comes from the other end it compresses as it gets to the Western end and it short steep hard hitting. Of course bigger is not unusual, but late summer (August) is dead calm and glass like at times. September...watch out!! He didn't say where on LIS he boats, it does matter since each end has it's own characteristics.