Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel >

Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Notices

Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
What is the procedure for transferring ownership of a documented boat when the proof of ownership is solely the coast guard documentation?

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-317
This is what the USCG documentation center told me to use on a recent sale. All the various forms are free to download from the USCG and are not difficult to complete and their fees are reasonable. The commercial documentation services charge additional fees far above the USCG fees.

Last edited by Interceptor; 04-27-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-317
This is what the USCG documentation center told me to use on a recent sale. All the various forms are free to download from the USCG and are not difficult to complete and their fees are reasonable. The commercial documentation services charge additional fees far above the USCG fees.
edit

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 04-27-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a plug for the professionals:

Anyone can file the forms on their own. Question is, do you have the time and the resources to do it yourself? Having a documentation company handle it for you ensures clear transfer of ownership and free of any "ghost liens" or other liens recorded against a vessel. Some lenders may have not filed proper paperwork to satisfy a lien, and that needs to be addressed to move forward on documenting a boat. If you are a new owner and take out a loan against a boat, the lender may require filing a First Preferred Ships Mortgage. Also realize everything with the Federal Government takes time, and if you get something wrong in your filing with the Coast Guard, you get to start over and resubmit.

Additionally, you need to make sure the chain of title is clean and that all previous liens have been satisfied. We see regularly where 2-3 owners back a lien had never been cleared on an abstract. Yes, it had been paid off, but the paperwork had never been filed correctly to remove it. The owners from the initial transaction and going forward expected it to be done, never checking it and therefore continues to show in the abstract history. Also, some states file their liens through the UCC process rather than through the Coast Guard because the boat is titled or just registered. It is important to make sure those liens have been taken care of as well. And, here is the other kicker… just to make it even more challenging, during the economical down turn, many lenders ceased operations and their loan portfolios were sold off to other institutions thereby causing “Ghost liens” to appear and knowing how to find out how, who and where to contact to get it removed.I’m guessing most people don’t have the resources or knowledge on how to check this, nor know where to start in solving an issue should it arise.

The documentation companies automatically check these things and other facets to make sure everything is correct before moving forward with a submission. Filling out the forms is the easy part, anyone can do this... It is making sure everything is done correctly and making sure you have clear ownership, which will also help in the future when you go to sell the vessel.
So yes, anyone can do their own paperwork. You just have to ask yourself if spending a few hundred dollars in costs would put your mind at ease knowing it is done correctly.

In full disclosure, we are one of the professionals…
573-342-3400
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does it take for the documentation process to be complete? For example, I bought (financed) a boat in November and the finance company handled the CG documentation. I received no proof, confirmation, paperwork etc. When I asked the finance guy about it he said it takes like 6 months for them to complete the process and I should receive the documentation around June. Is this normal? What should I be receiving and when? Thought it was a little odd but I assume he knows what he's doing...
Old 04-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

In all fairness, if a lien has not been cleared, the CG will not transfer the documentation. Sending in the paper work the first time and something is wrong, the CG will advise.

FAQ
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...on-Center-FAQ/

Last edited by AllDodge; 04-27-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The timeline to receive a Certificate of Documentation from the Coast Guard is taking approximately three months from the time the application is submitted. If you would feel more comfortable having proof of documentation on your boat, you could request a copy of the application.
573-342-3400
Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Yes they have titles here for the boats but not trailers. But as a person with a documented boat you will not have a title. Like the OP stated. I just register it here.

I will say we used to have a loan on our boat through my credit union. They did not understand the whole "preferred ship mortgage", and finally gave up asking me for a title. They never filed one with the coast guard, sort of funny.
Minor correction- FL requires that trailers that weigh over 2,000 lbs be titled.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that if you have a documented boat that the local police/sheriff authorities can not board your vessel ?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by beakman
I have heard that if you have a documented boat that the local police/sheriff authorities can not board your vessel ?
Never heard of that, and have never witnessed it being enforced. (I I ran a quick google search as well and found no such discussions or case law) However there has has been discussions about law enforcement being able to board a vessel under search and seizure. I think this really goes back to any type of search and seizure and where if any it would fit into what jurisdiction depending on where you boat, ie: inland lake, river or off shore international waters.

https://www.sailfeed.com/2012/10/coa...rights-part-3/
Old 04-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Only time local enforcement can not board is in international waters. Documentation has nothing to do with it.

So far as local they can board to do safety checks about anytime. Doesn't give them rights to search the boat unless they have probable cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.