Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Notices

Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Old 05-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mvdservice
Change of Address on documented boats
If your boat is documented with the Coast Guard, and you have moved since the time you documented your boat, be sure to inform the Coast Guard of your new address. It is free to do and will ensure you receive your annual renewal notices from the Coast Guard in a timely manner. You can notify the Coast Guard via email at
[email protected] or by fax to 304-271-2541. Simply identify yourself, your Official number, the old address and the new address along with your phone number. You may also notify the Coast Guard at the time you renew your Documentation by providing this information on the renewal document.
Pretty sure this this statement is in error. The CG use to send out notices, but received a notice that this was stopping once they started charging for renewals. I have not received any since that date. They don't even send out email notices and I've tried to get this started. I now have my own email send me a notice a month out prior to the renewal date. It can be sent in early just don't remember how early. I do receive a notice of renewal from the other "Company" wantin to do it for me, so that also helps

If there is a way to have them notify I would like to get it started
Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
How did you avoid sales tax in Indiana? The DMV website says 7%?

https://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/boat-registration.php
Not sure Premier

First that was 2007 when I bought the boat. Not sure if things changed. When I bought the boat it was already documented and when I went to the DMV to register it I of course did not apply for a title. They told me no sells tax was due since it was not titled in Indiana. All other fees were due. I do know it was something a lot of the large cruisers and houseboats used to do. i just happened to buy one documented.

I will say the boat had always been documented. I am the 3rd owner, bought from someone in Ohio. The first had bought it from the old Cumberland marine, and documented it right away. He lived in Ky.

Ky latter sent me a letter saying they had not collected tax in a few years but I sent them documents proving I bought it from Ohio, and was in Indiana. They sent a a response back all was good and that was they would go back to original owner that must not have paid.

Years latter when I moved down here it was just the impact fees and of course registration fees, still documented and the few times I have been pulled over they seem to understand more here then other states why no numbers on the hull side. A buddy just bought a boat and when we looked into it Florida collects sales tax on boats sold here er documented or not.

i would assume most states have closed the loop holes on sales tax, its money out of their pocket.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Pretty sure this this statement is in error. The CG use to send out notices, but received a notice that this was stopping once they started charging for renewals. I have not received any since that date. They don't even send out email notices and I've tried to get this started. I now have my own email send me a notice a month out prior to the renewal date. It can be sent in early just don't remember how early. I do receive a notice of renewal from the other "Company" wantin to do it for me, so that also helps

If there is a way to have them notify I would like to get it started
If I understand your post, the Coast Guard does continue to send out renewal notices. They are sent out approximately 45 days before the expiration date. Renewals can be made up to 60 days prior to the expiration date. Hope this provides some clarity on renewals.
573-342-3400
Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mvdservice
If I understand your post, the Coast Guard does continue to send out renewal notices. .
No, they no longer send out notices

This all stopped once they started charging to renew
Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I still get renewal notices from the coast guard. I also got the renewal letter from a 3rd party trying to get me to pay them for the renewal.

Last edited by bck; 05-03-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I get renewal notice every spring from the coast guard. Just renewed about a month ago.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I still get renewal notices as well.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Registered

Maybe things have changed but when CG started charging my notice stated they would no longer mail notices. Said I could sign up for an email notification which I did. The next year No notice was received and almost lapsed before noticing my self. Now I self notify via email. It is possible that CG would send out a mailing, but I send in before they do. Don't want to take a chance missing it.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I got a letter from them, paid it on line, 10 days later new Doc was in the mail box.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Maybe things have changed but when CG started charging my notice stated they would no longer mail notices. Said I could sign up for an email notification which I did. The next year No notice was received and almost lapsed before noticing my self. Now I self notify via email. It is possible that CG would send out a mailing, but I send in before they do. Don't want to take a chance missing it.
I am wondering if when the original letter came, you mis-understood the verbage and actually opted out of the notices and asked for the electronic?

Everyone I know, gets their notices each year, after.... the "2ndary" companies notice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.