Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Notices

Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe an Ohio politician got pissed off about being boarded without cause one too many times and passed a law saying state and local authorities can't board without cause anymore. Only applies in Ohio and has nothing to do with documentation but still interesting.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I believe an Ohio politician got pissed off about being boarded/ stopped without cause one too many times and passed a law saying state and local authorities must have cause now, no more "safety" stops. Only applies in Ohio and has nothing to do with documentation but still interesting.

edit-link
http://www.morningjournal.com/genera...at-inspections

Last edited by bck; 04-28-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today's topic...Documentation renewals. There are companies out there that send renewal notifications for Coast Guard Documentation and charge a fee for their service. Renewals are easy to do online and the fee is only $26. Keep in mind, if payment is not received by the Coast Guard by the expiration date, a $5.00 late fee will be assessed making the renewal fee $31. If payment is not received within 30 days from the expiration date, the Coast Guard will consider the Certificate expired and will require a reinstatement application, along with fees, and you will wait the approximate three months to receive a Certificate of Documentation.
573-342-3400
Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
Minor correction- FL requires that trailers that weigh over 2,000 lbs be titled.
That makes sense, now I know why I had to get a statement from Myco on my trailer weight. I still have the old Indiana title,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mvdservice
Today's topic...Documentation renewals. There are companies out there that send renewal notifications for Coast Guard Documentation and charge a fee for their service. Renewals are easy to do online and the fee is only $26. Keep in mind, if payment is not received by the Coast Guard by the expiration date, a $5.00 late fee will be assessed making the renewal fee $31. If payment is not received within 30 days from the expiration date, the Coast Guard will consider the Certificate expired and will require a reinstatement application, along with fees, and you will wait the approximate three months to receive a Certificate of Documentation.
Kudos to you sir, I was thinking in the back of my pea brain that this would not be mentioned, because the "Other Company" tries to do a fast one. Some of my boat mates have been caught up by them.

I'm going to make a note of your company and if I need services again, you will get the call
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I believe an Ohio politician got pissed off about being boarded without cause one too many times and passed a law saying state and local authorities can't board without cause anymore. Only applies in Ohio and has nothing to do with documentation but still interesting.
They just tell you a reason, we get boarded all the time, from speed to why are you out at night, and anything inbetween... Coast guard does "safety checks" all weekend long.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

What is the actual advantage of Documentation? I just did my document transfer paperwork Friday, took that paperwork and got my Ohio registration, I may at a later date make it titled so I don't have to pay the fee every year, then just do Ohio sticker every 3 years, any good reason to leave it documented?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
What is the actual advantage of Documentation? I just did my document transfer paperwork Friday, took that paperwork and got my Ohio registration, I may at a later date make it titled so I don't have to pay the fee every year, then just do Ohio sticker every 3 years, any good reason to leave it documented?
Most time the main reason is to save money. I documented mine and a few years later KY started taxing the boats. We still have boats at the dock from surrounding states that pay nothing but the annual CG fee. KY is working to change that. My boat if licensed would cost around $30 more then documented
Old 05-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Depends on the state, when I bought the best reason was no sales tax. That was Indiana, down here in Florida you still pay tax so not sure why you would. I have just left mine documented.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:26 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

They just tell you a reason, we get boarded all the time, from speed to why are you out at night, and anything inbetween... Coast guard does "safety checks" all weekend long.
Not surprised. There's always a "reason". But at least it's a step in the right direction. Because it's a state requirement it only applied to state and local law enforcement, the coast guard is still free to do their thing

Last edited by bck; 05-01-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.