Reliable BBCs - back to basics >

Reliable BBCs - back to basics

Notices

Reliable BBCs - back to basics

Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Reliable BBCs - back to basics

Smart folks on this site with engines pushing the limits of BBC combustion engines so I thought I would ask a question only experienced boaters can answer:

What are your key factors that make your Big Block marine engines reliable? What Achilles heels have you fixed or tweaked to mitigate future reliability issues?

I am looking to refresh my power in 2018 - something in the reliable 500HP range and thinking maybe I should think about tweaking things like fuel delivery, cooling, electrical, to make things more reliable or eaier to maintain. Ideas?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

Guess the smart guys are off boating ... or ... they dont want to share their wisdom 😏
Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Might have better luck in the technical section.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Nothing wrong with a 502 mag mpi, hp500, 500efi, 525sc, bulldog, 575sci, 600sci or 700sci. All reliable motors, copying any of those isn’t a bad idea if you aren’t an engine guru.

You can make more power with better heads than any of those had. Your head setup is critical, so hire a pro for that. You can also gain some valvetrain reliability with 55-60mm cam cores, bigger lifters and rocker stud girdles or shaft rockers. Tool steel valve springs, steel body rockers, bushed lifters and rollers, billet core cams....

But at 500hp a lot of that stuff isn’t needed, 500 is childs play.

Stainless marine and thunder n lightning are probably the call for reliable exhaust.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
Smart folks on this site with engines pushing the limits of BBC combustion engines so I thought I would ask a question only experienced boaters can answer:

What are your key factors that make your Big Block marine engines reliable? What Achilles heels have you fixed or tweaked to mitigate future reliability issues?

I am looking to refresh my power in 2018 - something in the reliable 500HP range and thinking maybe I should think about tweaking things like fuel delivery, cooling, electrical, to make things more reliable or eaier to maintain. Ideas?
I’d recommend calling a reputable marine engine builder and tell them what you currently have and what you want. Someone like Eddie Young will kit and sell you the parts you need. If you want to do the work yourself I’m sure he’ll walk through the steps over the phone.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve always like a 502mag mpi motor, with a cam, and a tune and exhaust. Refresh the top end with HD valve springs and roller rockers, and bam you have a pretty much stock reliable 502 with 500hp

also the hp500 carb motor is pretty cheap and reliable

Last edited by marks86; 04-28-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

With possible exception of the headers, Mercury seems to have gotten it right with the 525 EFI.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

All the BBc's I owned were reliable. The drives on the other hand.............